House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tester

Wanadoo: First Time Buyers Homes Up By 17.3%

House price growth picked up sharply during the last three months of 2005 - and prices grew fastest in major towns and cities. Yet what's good news for investors is bad news for first-time buyers. Don't lose hope - we reveal the homes you can afford in the UK's urban property hotspots

The best homes within your budget

... and I am sure that those married couples who are planning on starting families will not mind doing so in an overinflated priced flat!!

I lauged so loud when they mentioned Fishponds in Bristol being hip!! Most of it is just dire - it's not a pleasant place to live!!

All potential FTB'ers out there you will do much better renting a small 2-bed terrace house (perhaps with a garage) than exposing yourselves to downward price movements in the market which could mean being stuck in your own bought flat for 10 years or so!!

It will cost a lot less to rent than to purchase over the next 5 years!!!

Even the most sought-after areas of Sheffield are within reach of first-time buyers. This beautiful converted one-bedroom flat boasts a range of impressive original features and is on the market for just £119,950.

It's Sheffield! You can get crap flats like that in Greater London for the same money. I actually saw a job pretty much the same as mine in Sheffield a while back - 5k less. All the wages are much less.

A friends brother bought a brand new three bedroom house for 45k in Sheffield in 1999.

Many of the former industrial spaces of the East Midlands are being converted into impressive living quarters. This smart studio apartment in the converted historic power station of Electric Wharf sits within easy reach of Coventry city centre and is on the market for just £115,000.

In 2001 I had an interview for a 15k marketing job in Coventry. I didn't get it, but I could have chosen from any number of proper 1 bed flats for 40-50k.

You can get more home for your budget in East Anglia - and Peterborough is the area's best-value property hotspot. This two-bedroom family home comes with a price tag more typically associated with studio flats - just £118,000.

Wow, a whole house, albiet tiny. What can be the snag? Oh look, you have to live in Peterborough.

Urban regeneration projects have helped turn Manchester into one of the UK's leading first-time buyer hotspots. This residential complex in Openshaw - recently voted the UK's best place to get on the property ladder - offers luxury one-bed flats for under £100,000.

Won't be so cool when this utter glut of cheaply tossed up flats get bought up by housing associations for peanuts.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

... and I am sure that those married couples who are planning on starting families will not mind doing so in an overinflated priced flat!!

I lauged so loud when they mentioned Fishponds in Bristol being hip!! Most of it is just dire - it's not a pleasant place to live!!

All potential FTB'ers out there you will do much better renting a small 2-bed terrace house (perhaps with a garage) than exposing yourselves to downward price movements in the market which could mean being stuck in your own bought flat for 10 years or so!!

It will cost a lot less to rent than to purchase over the next 5 years!!!

Agreed about renting. But hasnt buying a house always historically been more expensive then renting? Can anyone provide any links to this sort of information? E.g. Rent price vs mortgage price - for same house?

I mean with the low inflation, the expense of the mortgage doesnt reduce as dramatically as it did 10/20 years ago.

Edited by Come On Down

Won't be so cool when this utter glut of cheaply tossed up flats get bought up by housing associations for peanuts.

and may I just add... Openshaw!

:blink:

and Bradford!! :o

If this is all the nation's FTBs can aspire to, we might aswell get the Mrs pregnant and go on the HA waiting list through her.

England is the only country i've been to with so much property ramping crap.

"Hey welcome to the UK nice people, go get a good job, now give me £30,000 and you can buy this 500sqft flat if you borrow another 100 thousand, its supposed to be luxury but you can hear you neighbour fart".

I wouldn't live in Sheffield if you paid me, and openshaw; I don't care what its been voted, but living there - no no no. ****** da property ladder grrr.

and may I just add... Openshaw!

:blink:

and Bradford!! :o

If this is all the nation's FTBs can aspire to, we might aswell get the Mrs pregnant and go on the HA waiting list through her.

Either that or move to Canada where you can have this for the same price as one of the featured flats.

one of my american friendsi used to work with bought his house in dallas last year.

double garage, drive, 4 beds, large bungalow type, garden and..........swimming pool.

$155k (£85k).

we are truly living in blinkered times.

and yet they ask for MORE tax.

Have building costs gone up so much? How much does it cost them to build a flat etc? I think these new builds look really poor quality, like you could smash em up; paper houses. Yet the cost is like £250k for a 3 bed detached or something? Would it end up like 4 million in 2040? What the hell, reality check to uk!

And the good thing about High House prices is.............................?

Err..., bigger Profits for Banks & co's with Vested Interest.

Must be that the article writer has a need to offload his 200 FTB-type property BTL's asap (hence why theyve gone up 17.54657865%) in 3 months (Oct, Nov, Dec) in 2005, heck thats 5.44756656% rise a month, durrrrrr

(How do they come up with such accurate figures?) :rolleyes:

Buy now while you can still afford it.

Yeah Mr Halifix you a loan at 20x wages at 50 years Interest only for 1 bed flat above a Kebab Shop

I cant afford, so i wont buy it, which goes for 95% of the population in the uk. Oh well! i guess the prices will have to crash :P:P:P:P:P:P:P

Edited by A Fool & His Borrowed Money

Openshaw? 100k? They are having one serious laugh.

Who the hell is going to buy those? Most folk round there don't have a job and any Manchester FTB with half a braincell would laugh in an EA's face.

Oh sorry, the BTL brigade will be steaming right in. Then they can get the DSS to pay the rent when the only tenants they can get are on the dole.

Openshaw? 100k? They are having one serious laugh.

Who the hell is going to buy those? Most folk round there don't have a job and any Manchester FTB with half a braincell would laugh in an EA's face.

Oh sorry, the BTL brigade will be steaming right in. Then they can get the DSS to pay the rent when the only tenants they can get are on the dole.

No - looks like the BTL brigade are streaming right out....and they don't want their tenants to know

:lol::lol::lol:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-856...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

Guest Bart of Darkness
Even the most sought-after areas of Sheffield are within reach of first-time buyers.

Are they b o l l o c k s!

Sought after in Sheffield would have to include Dore and Totley.

Cheapest residence (of any kind) in Dore:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-543...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

Cheapest residence (of any kind) in Totley:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-509...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

Unless you earn well above local average wage, these are not for FTBs. I would say that the price of the average FTB property here is between £80,000 to £120,000.

Have building costs gone up so much? How much does it cost them to build a flat etc? I think these new builds look really poor quality, like you could smash em up; paper houses. Yet the cost is like £250k for a 3 bed detached or something? Would it end up like 4 million in 2040? What the hell, reality check to uk!

Nope - 80k for a 4bed mini-mansion currently being built for a footballer south of Sheffield (land costs substantially more though)

Unless you earn well above local average wage, these are not for FTBs. I would say that the price of the average FTB property here is between £80,000 to £120,000.

Manor Top for me then... or maybe Wincobank.

Nope - 80k for a 4bed mini-mansion currently being built for a footballer south of Sheffield (land costs substantially more though)

You could always squat in one of the boarded up, burned out properties and survive the locality until it's yours by default...

:lol:

Sought after in Sheffield would have to include Dore and Totley.

Cheapest residence (of any kind) in Dore:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-543...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

Cheapest residence (of any kind) in Totley:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-509...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

Plenty of jobs around Sheffield that pay 50k, should just be able to afford that kebab shop flat in Dore on a 3.5x mortgage (binmen pay 60k pa in Sheff, you know ;) )

You could always squat in one of the boarded up, burned out properties and survive the locality until it's yours by default...

:lol:

How long do you have to prove you have been squating there for before you can claim it?

Guest Bart of Darkness

I'm hoping for somewhere in S20-ish. Popular but not that popular.

Anybody here living in the Waterthorpe, Beightion, Mosbrough, Halfway area already? Would you recommend it?

I'm hoping for somewhere in S20-ish. Popular but not that popular.

Anybody here living in the Waterthorpe, Beightion, Mosbrough, Halfway area already? Would you recommend it?

I'm currently writing from my folks' abode not very far away from there at all. I gather that its perfectly pleasant if a little dull. Crystal Peaks and the tram are plus points, convenience factor is high - something of a cultural desert though.

Guest Bart of Darkness

I'm currently writing from my folks' abode not very far away from there at all. I gather that its perfectly pleasant if a little dull. Crystal Peaks and the tram are plus points, convenience factor is high - something of a cultural desert though.

Cheers Fancypants.

"perfectly pleasant if a little dull" sounds ideal for someone like me (actually it sounds like a description of me).

"something of a cultural desert though". Can't be any worse than Herdings!

Edited by Bart of Darkness