House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dog

When Will You Sell Your House?

The 25 to 45 age group are not only the most active in the housing market but they are also at their maximum earning potential.

At the moment, we are at the peak of a demographic bubble and we have a record number of people aged between 35 and 45. Over the next 10 to 15 years however. the 35 to 45 age range will shrink by 20 and 30%. Thus in 15 years time, a large number of todays 45 year olds will be trading down and a much smaller group of people will be looking to take these properties on.

Can property prices survive this demographic shift? I suspect the answer is almost certainly no.

If you are a BTL, how long do you plan to hang onto your properties for?

The 25 to 45 age group are not only the most active in the housing market but they are also at their maximum earning potential.

Really? Most people I know in their 20's are poorly paid and in a huge amount of debt - and that's before you take mortgages into account. Those I know in their 30's aren't much better off, as they have a little more wages, but then that's all taken by their kids.

Mind you, if these are the 'most active' as you phrase it, then that's why we have so few FTB'ers! :D

Nomadd

Really? Most people I know in their 20's are poorly paid and in a huge amount of debt - and that's before you take mortgages into account. Those I know in their 30's aren't much better off, as they have a little more wages, but then that's all taken by their kids.

Mind you, if these are the 'most active' as you phrase it, then that's why we have so few FTB'ers! :D

Nomadd

People of 25-45 are parents and therefore have the greatest incentive to buy or move up the property ladder. They enjoy rising income and have plenty of years to repay the mortgage. This makes them the mainstay of the propety market.

A person of 50 has a shorter time to pay off the mortgage and faces the possibility of falling income (especially if he or she has to change jobs). Many 50 year olds who lose their jobs are never employed again.

What happens when the 45+ bubble starts selling up in a market where 25-45 year age goup has fallen by 20-30%?

Edited by dog