House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
right_freds_dead

The Next Gold Rush

following on from the boomer gold rush into buying property before FTBs in order to create pension wealth for themselves, at the expense of working families. because this property has been played for the last 20 years the people holding most of the cards will in the next 20 years become elderly. at the moment they have a monopoly on housing.

thing is, the generation they have priced out have a monopoly on time. valuable time.

the retirees are going to need home help and medical care. care homes and carers. however, because of the new gold rush mentality i feel there is a good opportunity to make some good money for OUR pensions.

we should race up the price of carer pay by 100%, 200%, 300% so you end up with an insane price for home care. after all, the pensioners will need this care as much as a young family needs a home, so if we monopolise our time we can make it as expensive as we please. just like housing is now for the young.

after all, unless care work is the absolute best paid work, i dont think no ones going to do it. there will be so few working people compared to pensioners they will all get better paid work. driving the carer pay up. they will just have to pay what we say and not be so picky.

will i feel bad about that ?

no.

so the old lady whose house is worth half a mill gets stung even though she never had any intention of selling her house to profit from it. where's the justice in your argument? none. not her fault the housing market has gone mental. blame someone else.

suit yourselves.

someone somewhere is paying the full whack.

from what ive seen of the new intake of coming 55s-60s is,

no pension savings, no savings, no provision and a desire for extreme property prices and expensive narrowboats. ive heard everything from 'where not giving it away' to 'my poll tax has gone up 5% more than inflation'.

well you go cut property rich old toenails for £5 while trying to pay for a 180k barrat squat.

you cant have it both ways.

This won't happen as Blair will just keep flooding the country with yet more immigrants to keep wages down and a steady supply of tennants for the BTL market.

we have all been sold down the road

im not anti pensioner at all. my parents are pensioners. the current batch of 60-99 seem ok. im talking about the middle generation who are 50-60 now. coming into retirement having had it fair themselves.

the ones who buy a 2 bed terrace BTL and say 'its for my pension'

the ones who had unions through the 70s, but are fine that others live on poverty wages.

well the extra money for your 'pension' comes from the wages of a working first time buyer.

it doesnt magic up all by itself. it has to be worked for. id say right now if you bought, you'd be working 30 hours for yourself and 10 for HPI.

and paleeese. no more 'boo hisssss' please.

and paleeese. no more 'boo hisssss' please.

Not from me. Even though I'm in the boomer generation I do agree with you. What I dont understand is why some folks think that pensioners all need to be molycoddled and no longer have any responsibility to society.

ie If you're 80 years old and have a house worth half a mil then I dont see why you shouldnt have to trade down to a cheaper house to pay for your care. Why should all that money be left for inheritance? Or at least the ones who will benefit from the inheritance should have to provide the care.

thanks recent 2 posters.

i was begining to feel like widow t*****ie.

booooo

booo...sssssssssss..!!

yeah - that poor old lady in the £.5 million house....

i think

that poor dad with the 2 kids and wife working 60+ £7ph hours to profit the BTL pension you always hear about boomers getting.

Edited by right_freds_dead

im not anti pensioner at all. my parents are pensioners. the current batch of 60-99 seem ok. im talking about the middle generation who are 50-60 now. coming into retirement having had it fair themselves.

yeah it's them what were teenagers in the 60s... too much lax morality and LSD. They blew their minds maaan and now have lost any proper perspective on the vicious consumer monkey-eat-consumer monkey environment that is, and always has been, the real world. Well, reality bites homie and there aint no mixed economy consensus politics about to bail out your inflationary ass this time!

Tonight, I will drive the 140 miles to my parental abode and present them with a stark choice. They must leave their property immediately so that I can requisition it for the good of society or... I'll put the kettle on and make everyone a nice cup of tea.

i think that poor dad with the 2 kids and wife working 60+ £7ph hours to profit the BTL pension you always hear about boomers getting.

Now, over a quarter, (28.3%) of all respondents are aged between 25 and 35. The largest single age group (37%) is between 35 and 45. Less than a quarter (23.3%) are between 46 and 55, while 9.5% are over 56.

Get your facts right fred, it is your generation who are the big boys in the BTL market. You have already be informed of that fact and still spout the same old propaganda. :rolleyes:

yeah it's them what were teenagers in the 60s.

yep.

1960 (teens)

free love, free university, free dentist, lots of work. lots of council flats.

1970 (20s)

decent housing, decent union hours, decent dentist, decent holiday, decent public transport (subsidised)

1980 (30s)

decent housing, big national stock sell offs, last decent public transport, hospitals, dentists, decent hours.

1990 (40s)

housing profit, stocks profit from national sell offs, decent holidays, decent health care. free childrens university. last decent hours. children housed fin and/or. free university. cheap cars.

2000 (50s)

BTL profit, euro property, last retirement ages of 60/65. low cost air travel. massive HPI.

they never had it so good.

2010 ???

cheap care provided by low paid, unhomed, childless workers and/or low paid immigrants.

big property incomes. early retirement (no working till 69 for them). last free health care.

Get your facts right fred, it is your generation who are the big boys in the BTL market. You have already be informed of that fact and still spout the same old propaganda

80% of the ones i see are 50-60s. this is some kind of pension thing with them.

if i saw them being my own age id be embarrased by my lack of gumption.

Edited by right_freds_dead

Get your facts right fred, it is your generation who are the big boys in the BTL market. You have already be informed of that fact and still spout the same old propaganda. :rolleyes:

FUW, can you give us a link to that survey? Thanks.

no.

I'm with you.

If they want to extract wealth from us NOW, they can pay back LATER.

We are only loaning them the money.

Just had a look at the survey. Was struck by this:

"These figures come from a major survey conducted through the website of the Association of Residential Letting Agents, ARLA. It ran for over three months and was conducted in conjunction with direct links to the mortgage lenders on the ARLA panel. This brought an additional range of responses from the panel: Birmingham Midshires, GMAC Residential Funding, NatWest Mortgage Services, Paragon Mortgages, The Mortgage Business and Standard Life Bank.

“This is arguably the most broad-based survey it is possible to conduct and we expect the results to be viewed with interest by government as well as financial institutions and investors,†said John Crossley, Chairman of ARLA, on the release of the survey results."

I'm not sure how broad-based a survey is that's conducted through a website. Of course this should be balanced to some extent by the panel input. It would be interesting to see some stats on this collected using a methodology that isn't skewed towards younger internet-savvy people.

To quote the article "These figures come from a major survey conducted through the website of the Association of Residential Letting agents, ARLA."

Internet survey, Jesus wept, without a breakdown of the age groups visiting the site the results are pretty useless and are going to be very skewed anyway. If 2/3 of website visitors are between 25-45 (highly likely) and the responce rate was 1 in 100 then the results would say 2/3 of BTL properties are owned by this age group (which might not be true).

There are lies, damn lies, statistics and internet survey. Poll the members of this site and the vast majority will say prices should go down, poll the members of singing pig and they'll say prices should go up. Which poll is right, both are, but both have unrepresentative sample populations so they mean nothing.

i get peeved when pensioners say "dont you know my house is worth a million pounds" this does not automatically attract special privallages. - get to the back of the queue!

fact remains

either house prices drop or wages rise

the idea some have that anyone under 40 will work for 6ph and buy there 1/4 million houses is stupidity

one way or another the younger generations will take it back, so i agree with the poster the dream older people have of having it both ways wont happen at all.we cant all be immigrants, what are the people born here supposed to do?

And the immigrant idea is also flawed

The idea that immigrants will keep all our wages down just means no-one then will be earning enough to buy there houses, everyone will be cheap labour.

Fred's right about the age thing.......the 1940s was the best time to be born...............

free higher education and student grants introduced 1960ish..........buy a prop before 1970 ......

unionised job in the 70s plus mortgage paid off by inflation and miras at 33%......(ireal IRs were negative through most of the 70s.....peaking at minus 12% in the spring of 1975).......

BTL bonanza turn of the millennium

and now they're retiring wages are being held down by a flood of uncontrolled immigration from countries eg baltic states where salaries are a tenth of ours.......(to be joined by Bulgaria and Romania in 2007!)

This won't happen as Blair will just keep flooding the country with yet more immigrants to keep wages down and a steady supply of tennants for the BTL market.

we have all been sold down the road

Not if we restrict our time in taking the old folks along to vote -They will be house bound and will lose their political voice.

following on from the boomer gold rush into buying property before FTBs in order to create pension wealth for themselves, at the expense of working families. because this property has been played for the last 20 years the people holding most of the cards will in the next 20 years become elderly. at the moment they have a monopoly on housing.

thing is, the generation they have priced out have a monopoly on time. valuable time.

the retirees are going to need home help and medical care. care homes and carers. however, because of the new gold rush mentality i feel there is a good opportunity to make some good money for OUR pensions.

we should race up the price of carer pay by 100%, 200%, 300% so you end up with an insane price for home care. after all, the pensioners will need this care as much as a young family needs a home, so if we monopolise our time we can make it as expensive as we please. just like housing is now for the young.

after all, unless care work is the absolute best paid work, i dont think no ones going to do it. there will be so few working people compared to pensioners they will all get better paid work. driving the carer pay up. they will just have to pay what we say and not be so picky.

no.

Fred,

I've got just the solution for your own retirement: we'll expand the EU even further and get cheap Ukranian labour to change the dressings on your piles, wipe up the dribble (and your ****) etc.

There! Problem solved! Isn't Europe a wonderful thing, truthfully!

Not if we restrict our time in taking the old folks along to vote -They will be house bound and will lose their political voice.

Have you not heard of the postal vote :P