House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OnlyMe

Gkn - Another 325

More jobs going abroad - how long before critical mass is reached where the scarcity of remaining resources and skills make what is remaining untenable?

Hooray for high house prices and a high cost base.

http://www.chesterfieldtoday.co.uk/ViewArt...ticleID=1313516

Workers' fury over jobs axe stunner

Furious workers claim they have been 'sold down the river' by bosses at one of Chesterfield's last major manufacturing firms after being told 325 jobs are for the chop.

This is of no concern at all at will not have an impact on house prices.

There are plenty of polish immigrants working at holdiay parks for the minimum wage who will snap up local houses for £250K.

Employment is high there is nothing to worry about

:lol::lol::lol:

Smurfit - 140

http://www.essexchronicle.co.uk/displayNod...&folderPk=91146

140 JOBS TO GO AS FACTORY SHUTS

18:00 - 12 January 2006

Some 140 jobs, three-quarters of the workforce, are to be cut at Chelmsford cardboard manufacturer Smurfit Kappa when the company closes most of its factories in the town.

Collins & Aikman Automotive Ltd - 180

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/business/n...95327eea1a2.lpf

Jobs to go at manufacturer

MORE than 180 employees at a St Neots manufacturing firm are set to lose their jobs.

The administrators of Collins & Aikman Automotive Ltd told workers that in the absence of potential buyers and continuing financial losses, a phased closure is being proposed.

Employment is high there is nothing to worry about

:lol::lol::lol:

Absolutely....all these losing their jobs will become brikkies, decorators, EAs, Letting Agents, hair dressers, property programme presenters, landlords, car washers, pet groomers and the list goes on. Why bother making anything when we have such a vibrant service sector. The BOE continues to throw a few more billion into the pot and hey presto we can feed off each other for ever...for ever i tell you....ahem...just off to get my nails done.

Yes now Christmas is over you can certainly see the jobs going just as we predicted.

Blair may offer a cut in interest rates so you can borrow to keep it all going a bit longer but what we need is a cut in taxes

And Nero (Blair) fiddled while Rome burned.

Doesn't anyone realise that a million manufacturing jobs gone since 1997 and a million jobs created in the pubic services sows the seeds of our own destruction.

What happens when the day comes that we make NOTHING? When everything is imported? What will our currency be based on and worth then?

As I sit here in my home office I look around - the computer desk thingy - made in Poland, laptops, printer, wireless router, radio, oil filled radiator (too mean to heat the whole house during the day), the shelves (Ikea), office chairs - even my briefcase - every single thing was made abroad.

Cars - made in Japan and Germany - my brother bought a heater thing the other day - really natty - sits on a desk and swivels - seems to be loads of halogen lights(?) gives out 1kw - £12 in a local pile it high shop - needless to say, Made in China.

I know this is old hat - know it's been going on for years - but we must surely be heading towards the 'end game' now. Sooner or later other countries will start asking 'hold on, what are the Brits paying us with? They just sit there on their little island and keep buying all the stuff we make and pay us in their pounds ... but what are their pounds worth? they don't make anything for themselves ... anyone can just keep printing bits of paper and call them money ... '

This is how currencies devalue. I am amazed we have not seen more of it - but it must be to come - and when it does we will be screwed. Because our currency will go down and either IRs will have to go up (a lot) or prices will go up (a lot). Either way our economy is screwed because we have just put our hands up and let our manufacturing industry die. Maybe we can all make a living from tourism in the future.