House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
or in excess of

Nationwide Figures

According to Nationwide,prices in Plymouth rose 11.4% in the last year.This is so ridiculous that it is not really worth discussing.I have been looking to buy for 2 years now,so to keep track of REAL prices, i keep a copy of the local weekly property rag for comparison purposes.So when i read of this totally random figure, i dug out jan 2005 and compared it with jan 2006.If anything,prices are slightly down from last year.I emailed Nationwide with my findings, and invited them to prove me wrong.Not heard anything from them yet.How can they get away with such blatant manipulation of the true figures without being taken to task?

According to Nationwide,prices in Plymouth rose 11.4% in the last year.This is so ridiculous that it is not really worth discussing.I have been looking to buy for 2 years now,so to keep track of REAL prices, i keep a copy of the local weekly property rag for comparison purposes.So when i read of this totally random figure, i dug out jan 2005 and compared it with jan 2006.If anything,prices are slightly down from last year.I emailed Nationwide with my findings, and invited them to prove me wrong.Not heard anything from them yet.How can they get away with such blatant manipulation of the true figures without being taken to task?

I *think* its down to low volume and million pound houses being included in the sales data. Sometimes you just have to beleive your own eyes.

kirsty,

I reckon some of the areas of the south that have shown rises (apart from London) have been heavily influenced by some of the new build developments, think marinas for SW seaside locations.

I totally agree with Kirsty, the same in Cornwall, prices are definately softening and houses are not selling apart from the cheapest of the cheap. I spend a fair bit of time in Plymouth too and ahve familly there.

I know for a fact that offers at around 20% off would be taken very seriously by around 50% of vendors at the moment.

The area I live in was a hot spot, nothing was on the market for more than a couple of weeks before selling for way over asking in a bidding war. From Nov 2004 it just stopped and hasn't restarted.

There is a flood of rental properties as well. The website of our biggest local letting agency shows cheaper properties being let (450-525 pcm -housing benefit will pay). Above that props are unlet for months and months.

For the first time I am seeing asking rents come down on certain properties. The is a lot of downward pressure at the moment and I believe that if this spring is as dead as last spring by summer something will have to give.

How can you have your house on the market for say 2 years unsold and unlet? It must be an uncomfortable nightmare. There is only one thing you can do about it.

Same with Halifax, now I wonder what has happened there - Penzance harbour devlelopment by any chance with loads of muppets overpaying for a matchbox with a sea view and a lending willing to whizz money against the sea wall? Just a guess, anybody know Penzance?

http://www.hbosplc.com/economy/includes/So...est_2005_Q3.doc

Penzance saw the fastest rise in house prices in the region over the twelve months to September 2005, with a 17% increase.