House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest magnoliawalls

They're Young, They're Affluent

Guest magnoliawalls

Not since the 1980s, when the Yuppie was king, have we encountered such a powerful social group. They've been around for a few years, but only now have they been comprehensively nailed. Meet the Yindie: half-yuppie, half-indie, moneyed urban hipsters aged 20-35 who listen to wry northern indie music on their iPod nanos, and who think Zadie Smith is the pinnacle of alternative fiction.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_brit...ticle338075.ece

It is great being a Yindie in the UK and able to afford these amazing iPod nanos - much more important than a home of your own. We are such a powerful and influential social group that the mainstream media plays close attention to the real challenges we face: maintaining our street cred. Paying extortionate rent/mortgage payments is just a trivial matter for the affluent yindies with their junior jobs in the city!

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_brit...ticle338075.ece

It is great being a Yindie in the UK and able to afford these amazing iPod nanos - much more important than a home of your own. We are such a powerful and influential social group that the mainstream media plays close attention to the real challenges we face: maintaining our street cred. Paying extortionate rent/mortgage payments is just a trivial matter for the affluent yindies with their junior jobs in the city!

Anyone else getting the image of Nathan Barley? :lol:

Anyone else getting the image of Nathan Barley? :lol:

the Tony Blairs of the future.

this is why I often feel like Travis Bickle.

and I'm going after the journalists too

Acres of newspaper to fill?

Let's find another social group to stereotype and write about.

So another bit of "street cred" enters the mainstream, is diluted and dies.

Guest magnoliawalls

The media maintain their market share by telling their audience what they want to hear - that is one of the reasons that the problems of house price inflation are not covered - the bulging baby boomer demographic would rather think of it as good news for them :rolleyes:

The media maintain their market share by telling their audience what they want to hear - that is one of the reasons that the problems of house price inflation are not covered - the bulging baby boomer demographic would rather think of it as good news for them :rolleyes:

Oh yes, that is the truth and one I was made aware of long ago as a, (perhaps I should whisper this?), Sociology student.

Presumably you haven't made it in journalism until you've invented a ridiculous-sounding acronym to vaguely describe a social group.

I'll have a go...

From now on journalists who aspire to invent the new "YUPPIE" shall be known as "JONKERS".

Presumably you haven't made it in journalism until you've invented a ridiculous-sounding acronym to vaguely describe a social group.

I'll have a go...

From now on journalists who aspire to invent the new "YUPPIE" shall be known as "JONKERS".

Or if German journalists, JUNCKERS?

My coat is on.

:)

when i look at that age group i see people who have generally poor jobs. get drunk as skunks fri/sat and live at home or share a flat. there is nothing hip about them. they are always skint by wednesday.

anyway. its one of those silly news stories from a silly little newspaper who dare not talk real news.

young people 20-35 have always been considered cool

heck if they arent who the heck is?

is this new generation diffrent to the last and the one before and the one before that?.The answer is no they aint there young and concerned about looking cool to there peers and its always been like that, and an ipod costs 65 pounds cheaper than when everyone had a sony walkman, so what crap are they talking about.

every single generation has the exact same type of "cool" people, the one before were the ravers before that was the guys that could hip hop, before that was the new romantics before that the box bedroom rebel listening to the smiths, before that the police and madness ect.before that punk, before that mods.

And i bet each time there was some twit of a journalist saying this is all new and the silver spoon punks are the rebellious kids ect ect ect.

its the worse kinda journalism.

this town is coming like a ghost town

to much fighting on the dance floor

when i look at that age group i see people who have generally poor jobs. get drunk as skunks fri/sat and live at home or share a flat. there is nothing hip about them. they are always skint by wednesday.

whereas in London it is exactly the same except that the (even more) vastly inflated cost of housing means that they do generally have good jobs rather than poor ones. The rest of your description still applies though.

This article also reveals the inate London bias in most reporting... journalists too lazy to haul their asses up to Euston... "ooh I'm not going to Manchester, its frightful up there. I heard they still eat babies"

Guest magnoliawalls

anyway. its one of those silly news stories from a silly little newspaper who dare not talk real news.

Many older people seem to think that young people struggle to cope with mortgages or do not buy houses because they would rather spend their money on ipods and glamourous lifestyles. Pap like this in newspapers and on tv just reinforces these comfortable notions.

No need to feel guilty about hogging the family sized homes, or cash strapped younger generations paying your pension when they are having so much fun with their gadgets and trendy clothes :)

Nathan Barley was quality, simply brilliant TV.

One line, a bit grim, but had me LMAO: "I broke down the brown door and painted it white on the way out"

Yep, a lazy puff filler article.

Totally f****** mexico.

I loved that Barley show, although that new meedjuh/DeeJay/designer combats things was more 1997-2002 so it felt like it had missed that boat. Also, in the show Nathan comes across like a lovable twit rather than the contemptible middle-class layabout Dad-funded waste-of-space as featured in the original TVGoHome.

God, I've once worked with TVGoHome Nathan barleys in the past - the oafish supiror tone of voice that's spoilt-brat middle-class mixed with with lashings of eastend/jamaican/street culture hip hop/Lads Mag talk, the slimline phones, the slightly-to-old-to-be-wearing-skatewear fahsions, the stupid scandinavian style chunky-designer specs, the claims to being an apsiring DJ/writer/muso/top designer/insert cool occupation while doing something far more bland as a day job. Oh god - total Barleys.