House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
beerhunter

Housing Density

Googling for +"houses per acre" (at a quick glance) brings up figures anywhere between 8 and 30 houses per acre... or (if I trust google to do the conversions) between 500 and 135 m^2 each property.

One of the reasons I mention this, is I've been thinking and trying to work/find out how much land is required to support one person in food for a year... but not got anywhere near an answer :(

However I thought I'd expand upon it and ask;

How much land do you actually need and why? (note not want but actually need)

And if anyone can answer "how much land is required to support one person in food for a year in the UK" (on a reasonable diet) I'd really appreciate it :)

nd if anyone can answer "how much land is required to support one person in food for a year in the UK" (on a reasonable diet) I'd really appreciate it

Vegetarian, vegan, or carnivorous?

The Vegetarian Society UK -- 21st Century Vegetarian -- A Few Basic Facts:

http://www.vegsoc.org/news/2000/21cv/basic-facts.html

An acre of land can produce 10,000 pounds of green beans, 30,000 pounds of carrots, 50,000 pounds of tomatoes, but only 250 pounds of beef.

[...snip...]

About 80 per cent of all agricultural land in the UK is used to rear livestock and almost 50 per cent of all cereal crops grown in Britain are used as animal feed.

r

'Food, Land, Population, and the U.S. Economy':

http://dieoff.org/page40.htm

This means that only 0.6 acres of farmland would be available to grow food for each American in 2050, as opposed to the 1.8 acres per capita available today. At least 1.2 acres per person is required in order to maintain current American dietary standards. Food prices are projected to increase 3 to 5-fold within this period.

Check out this, they accused Prescott of eating into greenbelt land, however :-

Mr Prescott's department rejected the criticisms [i.e. developing greenbelt], saying that Labour had increased housing density from 25 to 40 homes per hectare, "making the same amount of land go further".

What a proud boast! Come visit our store, buy our goods, you now get 60% less for 200% more of your money!

The CRE and CABE are packed full of NIMBY boomers who elicit double-standards, as with all other areas, so it's alright for everyone else to live in cramped boxes in high density blocks built on old contaminated industrial grounds with no supporting infrastructure, aside from the pylons, the sewage farm, the motorway junction, the power station... with all that who needs schools, hospitals, clinics, parks, gardens? You little people have no need for such things, we only allow you to exist purely to fund our exorbitant pensions.

So that's ideal and just fine and dandy, provided the NIMBY's can have their sprawling gardens that would house 50 people by modern standards, of course if a developer comes along and tries to infill they'll also bitch like hell of course!

We need a spoof press release along the lines of "we have improved the living conditions of battery hens and cattle by giving them 60% less space to live", no doubt there will be a list as long as your arm of organisations suitably outraged, but do the same for people with their housing or on the tube, blah, who cares!

Edited by BuyingBear

http://www.realfood.org.uk/Veganism...htm#environment

The world has about 1 acre of arable land per head of population, but it takes 1.4 acres to feed one person on a typical western meat-based diet; by contrast it takes only 0.2 acres to feed someone on a vegan diet.

Not that I am advocating a vegan diet, too presbyterian for my tastes, but it wouldn't hurt us (or the planet) to eat less red meat. I have heard some people advocating intensive vegan cultivation where, it is claimed, they could feed 1 person on 1/10th of an acre annually. Not if that person is John Prescott, mind you.

A standerd size allotment 10 poles (strange measurement) that seems to equal 250m2, is supposed to be enough to feed a family of four all year round. I have had an allotment this size for 2 years and have been able to grow more than enough fruit and veg for two of us. This doesn't inculde bread which I did workout I would need another allotment of wheat to create enough flour for a normal loaf a week.

I believe you need one acre of land to feed one dairy cow all year round, but you can't eat cows that where older than 30 months these days.

As for what I need 2 acres would probably be enough for all my needs, 1 acre for the cow and the rest for a pig or 2, some chickens, wheat, fruit and veg, hops, barley and hopefully a small garden.

How much land do you actually need and why? (note not want but actually need)

Enough so you can plonk down a mattress, your clothes can go into a locker. This is to ensure you can sleep so that you're functional at work-- if you want to eat do it in a cafe. The Japanese have long demonstrated that it is possible to live this way.

As for how much acrage is needed to feed people, if you work on the 'need' rather than 'want' assumption, well, the 0.2 acres mentioned is probably sufficient, probably half that when you use efficient farming methods and do not assume that the food has to be tasty.

Cinnamon, looking to buy shares in Soylent Green Inc.

Edited by Cinnamon