House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rocket

Starting Out As Landlord - Advice Needed

Hi

Im trying to start out as a landlord and have the dream of one day being my own boss. Im determined to try and make this happen but im sure that it cant be easy otherwise the whole world would be doing it.

What im hoping to gain from this post is advice from you folks who are landlords, have large property portfolis, morgage advisors, letting advisors etc.

Also any info relating to the list below would also be great:

websites to use

books to read

training or seminars to gain education from.

Would really appreciate advice.

Well, realistically, far too general a question to really answer, and a question that comes up quite often. My advice:

- Get a good book. "Letting your property for Dummies" or something similarly called(forget the exact name) is an excellent book.

- Use a good website. Apologies to all here(!) but this isn't too useful as a reference for renting, as the forum simply isn't busy enough. I recommend highly www.landlordzone.co.uk, and especially the forums - the range of knowledge of many of the people on there is quite simply excellent. Spend at least an hour or two looking through the threads on the forums. In particular, research Section 8, Section 21, "quiet enjoyment", and repairs.

- For at least your first set of tenants, I would highly recommend employing an agent. This will allow you to see what they do, so that you can learn from them. Always make sure you use an agent from a reputable body however(ARLA/NAEA are the main two).

Hope all this helps, if you have some specific questions, then feel free to post, and I shall do my best.