House Price Crash Forum
nordiclad

Unprecedented Number Of Instructions For Jan'

I am “feet on the street†still looking for that elusive house in Mid Devon to keep the wife happy.

Late last Dec’ I reported to HPC that EA’s in the area were telling me to come back in Jan’, as they are being instructed to take on an extraordinary number of new instructions, to which many of you replied that “this was normalâ€.

Well, yesterday after visiting 8 EA’s, 7 told me it looks like I could be very lucky, “as they are taking on, and out doing valuations on a record number of properties for Januaryâ€, they had never seen anything like it before.

But one of the EA’s who had sold through the last “crash†said that it was beginning to look like history repeating itself. She had seen this sort of build up before in 1990 and was strangely looking forward to it – reason, she was saying that all the other EA’s in town had “young kids selling†who did not have a clue what was happening or how to handle a “downturnâ€. The only point she wondered about was interest rates now as against back in 1990 and its effect.

At the end of the day, she expected a flat, but busy Q1 with discounting, but after that, get your tin hat out, it could get interesting as it goes down hill.

I am NO economy guru, but I’ll leave that to you guys to pick the bones out of the comments I heard – does it mean anything ??

I am starting to see a fair amount of new property coming on in the areas that I monitor:

Bromley

Bexley

etc

A fair few of them seem to be priced realistically and say "no chain". I take this to mean BTL starting to jump quickly.

It is looking good. An interest rate rise or other shock would, I am sure turn sentiment very quickly and cause a stampede.

Fingers crossed.

Every year people wait till spring to put properties on the market because more people are looking to buy, EAs tend to put up there prices spring->summer, so sellers are looking for excited buyers...

Everything depends on the number of excited buyers, how busy are the Eas, how many people in there offices?

Edited by moosetea

I am starting to see a fair amount of new property coming on in the areas that I monitor:

Bromley

Bexley

etc

A fair few of them seem to be priced realistically and say "no chain". I take this to mean BTL starting to jump quickly.

It is looking good. An interest rate rise or other shock would, I am sure turn sentiment very quickly and cause a stampede.

Fingers crossed.

To me the no chain means "We are desperately selling without any fore thought as to where we go next, back to Mum and Pops for now, whilst we lick our wounds and let you catch a falling knife".

Every year people wait till spring to put properties on the market because more people are looking to buy, EAs tend to put up there prices spring->summer, so sellers are looking for excited buyers...

Everything depends on the number of excited buyers, how busy are the Eas, how many people in there offices?

not a soul in any of the EA'a in my town today...and its Market day !!!