House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rave

"take The Debt Test"

Yeah.. my results were also really pessimistic. I rent and the only debt that might affect me is a credit card that I use rarely, and pay off in full when due, yet the BBC told me I needed to take "urgent action"

They used the words "Debt", "Problems" and "Panic" in one paragraph. and I am not like average joe with half my earnings going straight on a mortgage.. what does it recommend for them? suicide?

Maybe the VI grip on the BBC is weakening.

Or more cynically maybe they are just sneaking out that little bit of pessimism required to be a "neutral" broadcasting service at 2am so that practically nobody sees it. :lol:

Bobble

Total ******

Zero debt - so I might have a problem, apparently.

Jeez, I hate to see what is says for a binge CC and MEW addict

ABB

******=codswallop

Edited by AgeingBabyBoomer

Yeah, it's pretty pessimistic. Even saying that I had no debts and £150-600 left at the end of the month (which I don't BTW) it still reckoned that I was skating on thin ice. When I upped it to £3000p.a. take home a month and more that £600 left over at the end it said:

"Your answers suggest that, although you don't seem to have too many worries about debt at the moment, you might need to take care to avoid problems in future.

Before taking on any new borrowing, think carefully about whether you will be able to afford the new repayments on top of the existing ones."

Still, I suppose I wasn't really expecting the answer to be:

"You are sorted! Borrow like there's no tomorrow! Everything will be fine!" :P

I answered -

No debt/credit cards etc

No mortgage

Take home pay after tax £xxxx

Have over £600 left each month

ANSWER

Your answers suggest that your debts might be about to cause some problems [what debt?] or they might be doing so already [no they are not - I haven't got any].

Make time to review your current borrowing [what borrowing] and try to avoid taking on any new debts at the moment [oookay!!!!!]

If you are struggling already [with what?], don't panic [oooookay!!!!!]but do take action now [?????}.

:o:o:o:o:o

I did a similar quiz in one the newpapers the other week. The ones when you have to answer a/b/c/ and then add up you score. I think the response was something like "are you for real?"

EDIT - I have just redone the quiz with different answers (fake answers)

Mortgage - yes

Credit cards - yes

Only pay minimum payment each month and have over half the balance outstanding

Have applied for CC inlast 6/12 months

Up to limit on credit cards

pay £200 each month on loans

I go the same answer as before !!!!

Edited by 2005

Guest The_Oldie

Your answers suggest that at the moment you probably don't have too many worries about debt.

All the same it's a good idea to review your borrowing from time to time, especially if you plan to take out any new loans or if your circumstances change. Check that you will be able to afford the interest and repayments on a new loan before taking it out.

Phew.....that's a relief, as long as I make sure I review my (non existant) borrowing from time to time, I should be okay :D.

Your answers suggest that at the moment you probably don't have too many worries about debt.

All the same it's a good idea to review your borrowing from time to time, especially if you plan to take out any new loans or if your circumstances change. Check that you will be able to afford the interest and repayments on a new loan before taking it out.

Phew.....that's a relief, as long as I make sure I review my (non existant) borrowing from time to time, I should be okay :D.

Got the same. New loan?? Ermm I don't think so BBC!!!!!

Got the same. New loan?? Ermm I don't think so BBC!!!!!

I put down that I have over 4000 take home pay, have no debts, no mortgage repayments and nothing to pay on credit cards as well as having over £600 per month left over and was advised that that my amswers suggest that I have debt worries!

what a load of $hite

Guest Bart of Darkness

Got the same result as others who have no CCs, debt and plenty of money left over at the end of the month.

Your answers suggest that your debts might be about to cause some problems or they might be doing so already.

What?!? :blink:

Make time to review your current borrowing and try to avoid taking on any new debts at the moment.

I just told you, I don't borrow, I don't have any debts!

If you are struggling already, don't panic but do take action now.

Take action? How about ripping up my TV licence?

Total ******

Zero debt - so I might have a problem, apparently.

Jeez, I hate to see what is says for a binge CC and MEW addict

ABB

******=codswallop

Me too, even without any debt and outgoings far below my income, I 'should be careful'.

I'm going to send it to some people I know can't handle their debt (they of course think it's all fine a dandy).

I put down that I have over 4000 take home pay, have no debts, no mortgage repayments and nothing to pay on credit cards as well as having over £600 per month left over and was advised that that my amswers suggest that I have debt worries!

what a load of $hite

Hahahaah. I'm off to consolidate my non-existent loans. Hahahah

Can someone complain to these fools????

I, too, got the answer that my debt might be about to cause problems so I sent them a feedback form suggesting the questionnaire was basically flawed, as I have no personal debt and savings.

It never asked me how much i have in savings, do they not count anymore

"Mine said it looks like you are throwing money on Rent. Get a mortgage even if IO just to get your foot on the ladder"

Looks like it is just a crap article trying to be 'Interactive' - typical rubbish.

Now come on, there's the poor old BBC trying, albeit in a rather dumbed down way, to fulfill the education part of it's remit and all you can do is carp.

Did it and much like many here, no problems but think carefully before borrowing. Er, yes.

That little D word is getting more exposure though, which is what counts.

Does it count as "financial advice" in the FSA sense?

Edited by Mushroom

I have no debt either and got the

"Your answers suggest that at the moment you probably don't have too many worries about debt.

All the same it's a good idea to review your borrowing from time to time, especially if you..."

Not only that, but some other family member may have massive borrowings that I don't know about!

I thought I was doing alright, but it seems I'm about to lose everything.

BBC...

you are ridiculous...

AND YOUR ABOUT 3 YEARS TOO LATE... AT LEAST...

no debt... advice from BBC... time to worry... WTF...

wonder what they will report on the statistics they are gathering... watch out... BB's about

Hahahaah. I'm off to consolidate my non-existent loans. Hahahah

I'll consolidate them down to one easy payment of £50 per month till death if you like.

All non-existent loans considered. You must be a non-existant home owner, with lots of non-existent equity in your home.

Guest magnoliawalls

I answered -

No debt/credit cards etc

No mortgage

Take home pay after tax £xxxx

Have over £600 left each month

ANSWER

Your answers suggest that your debts might be about to cause some problems [what debt?] or they might be doing so already [no they are not - I haven't got any].

Make time to review your current borrowing [what borrowing] and try to avoid taking on any new debts at the moment [oookay!!!!!]

If you are struggling already [with what?], don't panic [oooookay!!!!!]but do take action now [?????}.

:o:o:o:o:o

Snap - with no debt, no mortgage, over £600 left each month and credit cards paid in full. Must be a flaw there somewhere... Maybe it is the dead money I pay in rent that could be causing the problems :lol:

This was plugged on Radio 2 Drivetime by the "business correspondent".

It seems the FSA and Experian were involved and there's a bit of profiling going on.

I suspect age might be an important element in the response given. Thus, the older you are and with a "safe" profile the more likely you get the ok.

The comments on here and the BBC Debt Test results others report have given me a good chuckle. They've been pushing it on BBC News 24 along with some "tips". Apparently 89% of people surveyed plan to take a loan this year (surely that must include credit cards and overdrafts, it's staggering), and I think they said 47% surveyed have a debt of £10K or more! If this is so, I'm amazed, and it's worrying.

Meanwhile, I might just try the Debt Test, and enter my annual income as £12 million, monthly rent £700, other monthly outgoings £200. If I get this on the screen "You should be concerned and the words gas and oven spring to mind, seek help immediately..." then I think we know the programmer's having a laugh, eh.

Locally here in Herts/London border, I see more For Sale and To Let boards and less Sold boards now than when I posted recently. Perhaps as it's January people are attempting to sell after the Xmas lull, though.

This was plugged on Radio 2 Drivetime by the "business correspondent".

It seems the FSA and Experian were involved and there's a bit of profiling going on.

I suspect age might be an important element in the response given. Thus, the older you are and with a "safe" profile the more likely you get the ok.

Just heard it on radio 1 too, it's certainly topical..