House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kman

Career Options For Unemployed Disillusioned 30yr Old.

Totally going no where career wise, I've got a BEng in Mechanical Engineering and an MSc in computer sciene. I've worked in IT and automotive engineering. The It work that I do is software testing which doesn't require that much skill but is still reasonably well paid if you can find work...it's all mainly short term contracts. Automotive is a great field but sadly vanishing in the UK.

I feel totally disillsioned, a brilliant academic background but complete commercial failure, a lot of this is atrributable to a few years of serious illness afer graduation. After recovering I wasn't really eligible for the tradional graduate trainee roles, hence I'm a jack of all and master of none.

Now realistically what are my options? I've been thinking for a couple of years I'd love to be a surveyor or civil engineer etc. I have no idea how to go about retraining or whether anybody would give me a trainee job at my age. I've also looked at the oil industry I'm perfectly happy to work abroard in the middle east but once gain how do you break into these fields?

Any suggestions appreciated.