House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
I_hate_Sheffield_EAs

If You Cant Sell In Sheffield...

http://www.vebra.com/home/search/vdetails....416&pid=9645349

This festered as unsold for most of 2005 on at 585k.

It vanished in early winter.

Id assumed it had eventually sold.

It has now reappeared at 10k MORE.

How does this work?

Its on with the same agent.

Im tempted to phone them up to ask how if it doesnt sell you should jack up the price to make it more attractive :P:P

ANyone else fancy it?

I_Hate

http://www.vebra.com/home/search/vdetails....416&pid=9645349

This festered as unsold for most of 2005 on at 585k.

It vanished in early winter.

Id assumed it had eventually sold.

It has now reappeared at 10k MORE.

I have seen this around here (Bournemouth) this year big time.

EAs seem to have convinced owners to expect a "Spring Bounce" and so people will add a certain amount to the value pre-Xmas.

I have seen houses at £515 now listed at £620 !!!!!!!!!

Si

Beautiful. Unfortunately there is not much for sale in Sheff at the mo so when i went round a fairly crap £320k five bed (you know the score, next door to students and no parking) the owners were smugly filling in their 20th viewing.

Be interested in the possibility of a spring bounce, I don't think it can be ruled out as the spin is all stable market now. Any Sheffield anecdotal gratefully received.

MEtallic what do you think may happen when the 2000 or so extra rooms for students are completed in the next couple of years (In both private and university accommodation)? + all these "city-living apartments"?

I have some contacts in Sheffield University accommodation department and they seem to think students will prefer to live in a new block rather than a damp house in Crookes/Broomhill. What if 2000 people think the same way? + There may be a fall in the numbers of students overall coming to University (especially international students)

I've already noticed a couple of student houses with signs in the window which have been empty since September.

I get the info of www.houseprices.co.uk, and cut and paste the data into excel to analyse. Do a search for S10.

As far as extra accommodation, all I know is that the University is selling off its old stock of houses in Crookes and elsewhere on the condition that they can't be used to rent out by the new owners. That should force more people into Uni accommodation. I also believe that with increasing student fees and the relative worthlessness of many degrees that people do nowadays, there will be fewer people going into higher education in the future.

Also, Sheffield is very much dependent on the public purse….the vast majority of people I know in Sheffield get a paycheque from the state (including myself) as there are no ‘real’ jobs here…as soon as things start to turn sour, public spending will drop and I can see a lot of people losing jobs here. Rotherham, whilst not as attractive, is close by, less expensive and offers better value for money if you have a family.

Ah, thants better. Thanks MEtallic. I was beginning to get dperessed going to see stuff in S10 and there are bloody loads of viewings going on. Fortunately, most people seem to reluctant to offer.

The student housing situation is interesting. I think any fall in student numbers will take a while to show, as (i think) the two Unis still have rising roles - however, there must be some doubt as to whether these are all full time (who mainly need housing as they are new to the area) or part time (who don't, becuase they already live here)

Public spending drop is good point. Does anyone have the Sheffiel housing prices in the last 1989+ drop? I have hunch that Sheffield was a later and lower drop, but total guess on my part.

Could do with a decent large scale company going bust to really make an impact.... as long as its not mine...

I was having a look at places to buy last summer and I'm aware of several houses that stayed on the market for so long they were eventually taken off. Personally, if you see something that you like, offer about 30% lower than the asking price, and maybe haggle up to a 20% discount. One of the problems in the UK is that people have lost the art of haggling.

I remember going to see a house to rent a year and a half ago; advertised at £475 pcm in the newsagents. Called to make a viewing to be told that the rent had gone up to £500. Arrived to view the property on the day to be told by the amateur BTL lady that the price was now £550!

The place had been recently do up and looked quite nice but had 2 very very small bedrooms, and small kitchen diner (table underneath the staircase). So what happens? 2 female students turn up, take one look and say “Oooh, how lovely”! and “only £550?, a bargain”!

Needless to say I was shocked! The place was worth no more that the original £475 (eventually I got a much larger place for £520) but the landlady obviously now thinks that it's worth £550! With stupid people out there willing to throw money around with no questions asked, we all suffer.

Yup, haggling defintely a good plan. Helps if you can apply the normal rules that apply to buying other things: e.g. don't look too keen. leave 2 weeks between viewings, put in offers with a time limit, say "well, you know where I am" when derisory offer is turned down. Alas, the market in Sheff doesn't seem that weak nat tyhe moment - its bloody house buying season again and there are lots of viewings. hey ho. When do I get an interest rate rise? My str fund is getting bobbins returns.

I've been following the S10, S11, S32, S33 and DE45 markets for a long time. Broad price range (150 - 350). There are some houses that sell (for no apprarent reason) and those that are being reduced in price over time. One I've had my eye on had gone from 189 - 179k this week.

Looks like a patchy correction but the pattern may wel be being confused somewhat by an apparent flight to quality.

Guest Bart of Darkness
Alas, the market in Sheff doesn't seem that weak nat tyhe moment

No, confidence is still high it seems.

I've seen indications of reductions in the S20 area but nothing dramatic.

Higher interest rates and cutbacks in local government spending will pile on the drama though!