House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CrashIsUnderWay

Anecdotal - Estate Agent Loses Job!

GF's old buddy from down south became an estate agent about 18 months ago (cos she couldn't hold down a job in a hairdressers -seriously!!!).

Yesterday, they had their weekly phone chat and it transpires the poor cow has been laid off. I'm actually a bit sorry for her cos she's a nice girl really, just has no skills, qualifications, abilities etc, so estate agency was pretty much the only thing she could do...

Anyway, I ramble. Apparently she asked the boss why she was being fired - was it something she'd done?

No, says the boss. Haven't you noticed? We've only sold 2 houses in a year - we can't afford to keep u on. Last in, first out. Sorry...

2 houses all year, and this in the Eastbourne outlying area too...

Tell me again, how there aint gonna be a crash???!! :-)

The South went months ago, stale mate between buyers and sellers. We just have to wait for the North to slow down and the indices will be in the -ve for months to come. Add a few IR rises for good measure and the price correction will be well underway.

'I'm actually a bit sorry for her cos she's a nice girl really, just has no skills, qualifications, abilities etc, so estate agency was pretty much the only thing she could do..'

:lol::lol:

Holding eas in high esteem then.

Yesterday, they had their weekly phone chat and it transpires the poor cow has been laid off.

Odd, I thought women called each other on the 'phone 4 or 5 times per hour?

The South went months ago, stale mate between buyers and sellers.

It's like that scene in 'Indepdence Day' when Jeff Goldblum, trapped in the alien mothercraft with Wil Smith, turns to Smith and says:

"Stalemate!"

If you follow this analogy through what we now need to bring about a housing crash is a geek with an apple mac who has a mate who is a rapper.

Saw this on a financial BB - Thought some on this BB might be interested

LONDON, January 10 /PRNewswire/ -- While most Buy to Let landlords invest in residential property for the long term, only five per cent invest solely for the rental income. Instead, over half of all investor landlords are looking to create a nest egg for themselves some 15 years ahead.

http://www.companyannouncements.net/cgi-bi...80000nq285.html

Nearly two thirds of landlords questioned said that they expect to enlarge the size of their portfolios during 2006.

Nine out of ten (89%) of landlords questioned said they would not sell

their investment properties should house prices fall. On average, they expect

to hold their properties for over fifteen years.

Returns on a cash purchase of a property investment over a five year

period stand at 11.3% a year. On a geared investment, assuming a 75% Buy to

Let mortgage, returns average 22.74%.

....distribution of properties with the distribution of landlords shows a higher proportion of landlords saying they have properties in the Midlands and North of England than actually live there - 50% of properties against 33% resident.

By the way - I find it impossible to believe that a full time EAgency with staff only sold 2 properties in 2005 and can still trade.

Edited by ILikeBigBoobs

Anyway, I ramble. Apparently she asked the boss why she was being fired - was it something she'd done?

No, says the boss. Haven't you noticed? We've only sold 2 houses in a year - we can't afford to keep u on. Last in, first out. Sorry...

2 houses all year, and this in the Eastbourne outlying area too...

Perhaps her boss should give up being an estate agent and become a hairdresser as there were 810 properties sold in the centre of Eastbourne BN22 last year which is an average of 67 a month - this doesn't include the outlying areas - there is so much urban myth purporting to be factual or anecdotal on this site its hard to see the wood from the trees sometimes

Edited by *sparkle*

Perhaps her boss should give up being an estate agent and become a hairdresser as there were 810 properties sold in the entre of Eastbourne BN22 last year which is an average of 67 a month - this doesn't include the outlying areas - there is so much urban myth purporting to be factual or anecdotal on this site its hard to see the wood from the trees sometimes

Yes, if they're going to make things up they should, at least, try to make them just slightly creditable

:lol:

67 a month in total - split between how many ea offices and 1 man bands, private sales etc? cant comment - all i heard was '2 houses in the year'. no idea how many flats they sold.

as for still trading - small agency, low outgoings, some cash reserves built up from year before, now mostly gone. they just couldnt afford to keep her on.

also anecdotally, my old mate tony from nhg only sold 4 last year too. he's basically a 2 man band. fortunately for him, one of the sales was a whole house in holland park, and his commission on that single sale was ...

£175,000

he's from wales, and has a brain like a peanut.

67 a month in total - split between how many ea offices and 1 man bands, private sales etc? cant comment - all i heard was '2 houses in the year'. no idea how many flats they sold.

as for still trading - small agency, low outgoings, some cash reserves built up from year before, now mostly gone. they just couldnt afford to keep her on.

also anecdotally, my old mate tony from nhg only sold 4 last year too. he's basically a 2 man band. fortunately for him, one of the sales was a whole house in holland park, and his commission on that single sale was ...

£175,000

he's from wales, and has a brain like a peanut.

Just reminded me, my local rag dropped through the letter box pre-xmas, well I say dropped, it actually gently floated down like a feather given the absence of property adverts :lol: The usual thud arrives last Wed. evening, look in property section, one agent proudly boasting on sales achieved in 2005 and listed all their sales..35 :o Now that has to be taken in context that there has been a lag on the Wirral as opposed to the S.E. (who says it`s different this time ;) ) However, less than one sale a week? Accepted that one or two sales were in the £mil range so the odd 10K commission payment will not have hurt, but these guys on my calculation, as you do :P ,lost money in the best year they`ve possiby ever had......

Edited by Converted Lurker

GF's old buddy from down south became an estate agent about 18 months ago (cos she couldn't hold down a job in a hairdressers -seriously!!!).

HPC job snobbery as usual I see.

You know, good sales people are in short supply. Sales skills cannot be learned effectively, where as most other areas of Human endeavour can be learned with a little time, the exceptions being Law (excluding conveyancing - which anyone can do), Architecture and Accountancy.

Many trading companies could survive without HR professionals, none could survive without competent sales people (apart from on - line retail etc) bringing in the business.

Im no fan of E/As but the job snobbery is a bit much.

cred·it·a·ble adj.

2. Worthy of belief: a creditable story.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/creditable

Whih, of course, the anacdote which started this thread wasn't!

But perhaps he'll give us the name of the agency?

Which.

a. Used as a relative pronoun in a clause that provides additional information about the antecedent: my house, which is small and old.

When I worked Full Time as an agent in our bit of East London there were in one year...

Approx 20 estate agents selling houses

Approx 500 properties sold

Of which approx 200 were sold direct to the public by Barratts

Meaning the average agent (office) sold 1.25 properties per month.

Some of those agents were mainly lettings / management and doing the odd sales, many would only have had one person doing sales and he might even be doing lettings as well, but it is shocking. I can't believe the average fee was much more than £3k, and possibly less. Still, if you're making your money in lettings / management, and you're paying all the fixed costs anyway, then you're probably making 100% profit on the cost of having one more member of staff doing sales.

Since then another half a dozen or so agents have opened in the area.

NB figures above are very raw... the agents in the area probably got as many sales again in bordering areas, but saying that agent sin bordering areas would have probably got a significant percentage of "our" sales too.

Which.

a. Used as a relative pronoun in a clause that provides additional information about the antecedent: my house, which is small and old.

pe·dan·tic [ pə dántik ]

adjective

Definitions:

too concerned with formal rules and details: too concerned with what are thought to be correct rules and details, e.g. in language

emphasizing minutiae

Characterized by a narrow, often ostentatious concern for formal rules

*ILikeBigBoobs*

Adj: Nom. Decl:- Origin - repressed homosexual, as breasts substitute for buttocks.

See also:- c**t. A complete and utter timewasting little [Mod - we all know what he is, but we don't need to spell it out]

*ILikeBigBoobs*

Adj: Nom. Decl:- Origin - repressed homosexual, as breasts substitute for buttocks.

See also:- c**t. A complete and utter timewasting little [Mod - we all know what he is, but we don't need to spell it out]

Perhaps you should look at the figures for properties sold in Eastbourne over 2005 (sales are available on Rightmove up until early November) - You'll see little difference last year from preceding years !

Attempts to predict a HPC occouring in any area from what appears to be the most dubious anecdotal data, without doing even the most basic research, does your cause no favours.

(As does having to resort to name calling when your claims are challanged - I suspect you're no brighter than the young lady you so rudely deride in your original post)

Edited by ILikeBigBoobs

pe·dan·tic [ pə dántik ]

adjective

Definitions:

too concerned with formal rules and details: too concerned with what are thought to be correct rules and details, e.g. in language

emphasizing minutiae

Characterized by a narrow, often ostentatious concern for formal rules

Listen Boobs. You picked Marina up on her English first which makes you the pedant.

Cross me again and I shall drag you into a juvenile augment which you will only loose. You Gaylord.

:P

Listen Boobs. You picked Marina up on her English first which makes you the pedant.

Cross me again and I shall drag you into a juvenile augment which you will only loose. You Gaylord.

Gah, now I can't see because of all this egg on my face. You have ruined my night Whoops, I feel it’s only fair to warn you that you have made it onto the list...

If you bother to actually read the thread, you'd have seen that Marina initiated the pedantary!

Anyway, I'm busy now. So perhaps I can ignore you some other time?

If you bother to actually read the thread, you'd have seen that Marina initiated the pedantary!

Anyway, I'm busy now. So perhaps I can ignore you some other time?

Great; I get the last word... Gaylord.