House Price Crash Forum

Right To Compensation

Timster

HOLA441

Hi,

I currently rent from Imagine Homes (large landlord type company). The water in our apartment building was cut off for 5 days during the Christmas period. It was cut off again 3 days later for 2 days and finally again a week later for a day. Anyway, during this time of absolute hell (and I promise you, you will not know what it's like until you've experienced it), we stayed at a hotel for a night on two separate occasions. This was so we could be clean again and live (albeit temporarily) like human beings. Do I have a case against the landlord (who is still establishing the "facts") for the inconvenience and out-of-pocket expenses I incurred? During this time, they were uncontactable and therefore couldn't agree the costs of alternative accommodation during this unpleasant time. The building is only a year or so old and I found in the tenancy agreement about the landlord's obligations including ensuring the water system (amongst other things) were in good repair - the result of the water cut was due to a busted mains water part (busting again on the last two occasions).

Any more info to answer the question properly will be supplied.

Thanks for your help...

HOLA442

If a property becomes inhabitable, which a lack of running water would probably be classed as, then the landlord becomes responsible for your alternate living costs. So basically, yes he is responsible for the hotel costs. As to further monies on top of this, I doubt it.

HOLA443
Guest Fiddlesticks

I wouldn't be so sure - I think it would depend on whether the fault was in the pipes on your side of the stopcock in the street. Those pipes are the reponsibility of the landlord and if they fail then he is responsible. But if the fault was on the other side of the stopcock then it's down to the company that supplies the water. I would guess that the contract for water supply is between them and you, so you would have to chase them, not the landlord.

HOLA444

Wouldn't he be able to take action against the landlord & then the landlord have to take action on the water company? or does the fact that the he may be paying the water company mean that he has to go after the water company?

HOLA445
HOLA446

Wouldnt be so sure about what fiddlesticks? If a property becomes uninhabitable for a fault in the building, then the landlord is liable for the cost of alternate accommodation. If you have any other financial losses, then you will be entitled to those also. But I would be very surprised if you get compensation over and above your financial loss.