House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
WSG

Scottish Textile Jobs To China

To be fair the cashmere fibre comes from goats in the china region so shipping it to Scotland to be processed did seem a bit odd.

Went to the shop and mill in question on my hols ... talk about expensive!!!

Less than 7 years ago.

http://www.thestreet.com/int/euromarkets/758365.html

7/6/99 11:02 AM ET

The companies housed in these buildings underscore the dramatic transformation Glasgow and its environs have undergone over the last 20 years. Long known for its reliance on heavy industries such as steel and shipbuilding -- and the consequent social upheaval that the decline of such industries brought -- Glasgow today attracts companies like IBM (IBM:NYSE), Hewlett-Packard (HWP:NYSE), Canon (CANNY:Nasdaq ADR), Compaq (CPQ:NYSE), Packard Bell, NEC (NIPNY:Nasdaq ADR) and Sun Microsystems (SUNW:Nasdaq).

The area has come to be known as Silicon Glen, a term that is more than just a passing allusion to its American namesake. It has the highest concentration of high-tech companies in the world outside of Silicon Valley and is responsible for the manufacture of 15% of Europe's semiconductors, 32% of Europe's branded PCs, 80% of Europe's workstations, 65% of Europe's ATMs and 51% of Europe's computer notebooks.

And now.

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2006/jan/1268528.htm

300 axed in Silicon Glen 'death throe'

(The Scotsman Via Thomson Dialog NewsEdge)THREE hundred more Scottish manufacturing jobs are set to go after a US-owned company said it was closing its factory.

Staff at the computer-maker Sanmina-SCI in Greenock were given the news when they returned to work after the festive break yesterday.

Last night, the area's MSP said the decision represented the "final death throes" of volume electronics manufacturing in the west of Scotland.

Edited by OnlyMe

i can think why companies would leave scotland

wettest place on earth

midges bite the 4rse off you in summer

birthplace of the uks greatest ever chancellor

seriously, this is yet another nail in our coffin.

we are losing key busineses and skills at such a rate.

we have some world class operations( finanacial services, some IT,tourism, some high tech manufacturing)

i dont think this is enough to keep 60 million people living in soem of teh highest living standards on teh planet.

dont have any easy answers.

all i do know is that the fixation with property aint one of them

the don,

Beats me how it has abeen allowed to come this far with no really serious questions being asked. I'm 100% confident that the appalling waste of money on property and the knock on effect on costs has been a major factor in pushing production and other jobs abroad.

Like I said before I'm beginning to think that these were the intended consequences, whatever was supposed to be gained I just can't fathom, you couldn't put together a more successful hatchet job if you tried.

Edited by OnlyMe

Less than 7 years ago.

http://www.thestreet.com/int/euromarkets/758365.html

7/6/99 11:02 AM ET

The companies housed in these buildings underscore the dramatic transformation Glasgow and its environs have undergone over the last 20 years. Long known for its reliance on heavy industries such as steel and shipbuilding -- and the consequent social upheaval that the decline of such industries brought -- Glasgow today attracts companies like IBM (IBM:NYSE), Hewlett-Packard (HWP:NYSE), Canon (CANNY:Nasdaq ADR), Compaq (CPQ:NYSE), Packard Bell, NEC (NIPNY:Nasdaq ADR) and Sun Microsystems (SUNW:Nasdaq).

The area has come to be known as Silicon Glen, a term that is more than just a passing allusion to its American namesake. It has the highest concentration of high-tech companies in the world outside of Silicon Valley and is responsible for the manufacture of 15% of Europe's semiconductors, 32% of Europe's branded PCs, 80% of Europe's workstations, 65% of Europe's ATMs and 51% of Europe's computer notebooks.

And now.

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2006/jan/1268528.htm

300 axed in Silicon Glen 'death throe'

(The Scotsman Via Thomson Dialog NewsEdge)THREE hundred more Scottish manufacturing jobs are set to go after a US-owned company said it was closing its factory.

Staff at the computer-maker Sanmina-SCI in Greenock were given the news when they returned to work after the festive break yesterday.

Last night, the area's MSP said the decision represented the "final death throes" of volume electronics manufacturing in the west of Scotland.

Yep and there was Seagate, Digital, Timex, Motorola and virtually countless others that have all gone in the last few years.

NDL

Another 370, this time to Czech Republic.

http://icscotland.icnetwork.co.uk/news/sco...-name_page.html

Jobs lost as computer plant closes

More than 300 jobs are to go with the closure of a computer manufacturing plant later this year, it has been revealed.

Inventec Scotland Servers, based in Hillington, near Glasgow, announced that it will shed 370 posts when the plant shuts.

The company, which builds computer servers, will transfer production to another plant in the Czech Republic. It has been based at Hillington since 2000.