House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
krustie allslop

Golden Wonder In Administration

Crisp manufacturer Golden Wonder has been placed in administration, putting about 850 jobs at risk.

The firm, whose brands include Golden Wonder, Nik-Naks and Wheat Crunchies, has suffered falling sales and fierce competition in recent years.

Administrators Kroll said the firm had made "significant" losses in 2005, on top of a £10.8m loss reported in 2004.

Kroll said it was looking at all options for the business but that its Corby factory would be closed.

Golden Wonder in administration

Golden Wonder has been finding life tough

Crisp manufacturer Golden Wonder has been placed in administration, putting about 850 jobs at risk.

The firm, whose brands include Golden Wonder, Nik-Naks and Wheat Crunchies, has suffered falling sales and fierce competition in recent years.

Administrators Kroll said the firm had made "significant" losses in 2005, on top of a £10.8m loss reported in 2004.

Kroll said it was looking at all options for the business and was hopeful that it could be rescued.

My god you have to be quick in the media game.

There I am with a scoop and by the time I post it it's old hat.

Go down any crisp section of a super market and you see nothing but Walkers crisp. It's no wonder Golden Wonder are finding it hard to get back on the shelves, they sold one of their most popular brands (the Wotsit) to Walkers. Go figure.

Go down any crisp section of a super market and you see nothing but Walkers crisp. It's no wonder Golden Wonder are finding it hard to get back on the shelves, they sold one of their most popular brands (the Wotsit) to Walkers. Go figure.

But I thought that the economy was doing so well, Gordon Brown told me. Surely, we can tolerate more than one crisp manufacturer in this country?

Exactly, product placement is paid for. More smaller firms will go to the wall thanks to the leverage that the supermarkets and their large suppliers have over the market. There was an interesting documentary on Golden Wonder on TV about a year ago or so.

Exactly, product placement is paid for. More smaller firms will go to the wall thanks to the leverage that the supermarkets and their large suppliers have over the market. There was an interesting documentary on Golden Wonder on TV about a year ago or so.

On the Money Programme.

Tescos aren't going to do us any favours in the long run. Quite frankly, I'm sick of the lack of diversity in the UK supermarket system.

Tescos aren't going to do us any favours in the long run. Quite frankly, I'm sick of the lack of diversity in the UK supermarket system.

I've started shopping in Sainsbury's again, the prices are much of a muchness, but the aisles and car park are so free of other people. It's great.

Golden Wonder in administration

Golden Wonder has been finding life tough

Kroll said it was looking at all options for the business and was hopeful that it could be rescued.

My god you have to be quick in the media game.

There I am with a scoop and by the time I post it it's old hat.

Their cashing in their chips?

Even potato production is on the decline, are we really eating fewer or are they just being imported in raw (or remanufactured state) ?

http://business.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=26842006

Troubled times remain for what's left of the UK's potato sector

JIM BUCHAN

DESPITE the fact that 2005 saw the lowest area of potatoes planted in the United Kingdom in living memory, trading conditions remain problematic in the short term for growers with consumption at best static, and probably in decline.

Even potato production is on the decline, are we really eating fewer or are they just being imported in raw (or remanufactured state) ?

It's probably a legacy of all that low-carb/Atkins stuff.

We have a local crisp company called Tyrells who are storming along at the moment despite charging nearly £2 for a large packet of crisps. They're good (and quite a selection), but that's a fair chunk of dough for 200g of crisps :)

What a funny old economy we have at the moment....

Buckers

They're made of potato actually (yawn)

We're eating fewer. Atkins was much to blame apparently- and now all this GI rubbish is putting people off them too. I personally am doing my bit to prop up the UK spud industry though, probably get through 5lb a week:).

Lack of Diversity. :unsure: ..Try shopping in a European Supermarket.....makes UK ones look like an Aladdin's cave....Large Superstore supermarkets are difficult to find in some countries e.g. Germany. :unsure:

According to this news release the Corby plant is going to close, which is near where I live and

quite a big employer around here, shame.

Weetabix another local company laid aload off end of last year.

Big names as well.

According to this news release the Corby plant is going to close, which is near where I live and

quite a big employer around here, shame.

Weetabix another local company laid aload off end of last year.

Big names as well.

On a somewhat related note somebody bought me some Terry's chocolates (a selection box) at Christmas and they were rubbish, the pieces were small, the mouldings were odd and the colour/flavorings tasted peculiar or had dried out in some.

You can see that Nestle are doing things on the cheap after shutting down their operations at York and moving things to Poland, that's not a reflection on the country but obviously somebody has retooled some soviet era kit that was originally designed for grinding gear boxes.

Their spreadsheet may look good now when they're trading on their name and past glory but people are only fooled once, I wouldn't buy a box now.

Edited by BuyingBear