House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FreeFall

Sold In 2005

On my weekend walkabouts walked through Uxbridge town centre on Saturday. Walking past a (to remain nameless) EA's I noticed that there were about 13 sets of house details across the window with instead of "for sale" a big red sign saying "sold in 2005 - more properties like this needed".

Walked away shaking my head with a wry smile thinking "Aww bless, only 13 properties sold in the whole of 2005" - got some funny looks from the EA's inside.

Also had a flyer through my door not long ago with big red print "Tough market? Tough Agents". You want me to buy a house? I say "tough luck".

Anyone else noticed different EA techniques?

On my weekend walkabouts walked through Uxbridge town centre on Saturday. Walking past a (to remain nameless) EA's I noticed that there were about 13 sets of house details across the window with instead of "for sale" a big red sign saying "sold in 2005 - more properties like this needed".

Walked away shaking my head with a wry smile thinking "Aww bless, only 13 properties sold in the whole of 2005" - got some funny looks from the EA's inside.

Also had a flyer through my door not long ago with big red print "Tough market? Tough Agents". You want me to buy a house? I say "tough luck".

Anyone else noticed different EA techniques?

My general observation is that Estate Agents are, collectively, too damn stupid to try anything different. They talk the market up all the time and, for a lot of the time, it works. So they go from one office to two, to five or six - and the owner starts thinking about selling out for a million or two to one of the corporates.

Then times get tight - and they don't know what to do. They are still in the nutty, competitive 'if you don't give me a high valuation you won't get the instruction' environment they are so proud of. But they can't get instructions without overvaluing and, suddenly, properties stick on the market for six months. Vendor gets peed off and instructs another agent. The Johnny cum Lately agents go to the wall. Good riddance. I hope when they go to the wall, it falls down on them.