House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fishface

Sorry! Gold Again!

I have decided to invest in gold. Can anyone recommend the best way forward for me given my needs?

1) I'd be quite keen to hold the physical gold and don't have a problem storing it

2) I would like to be able to buy/sell with the least possible spread

3) I am happy to go somewhere in London and pick the gold up, but do not want to buy coins on ebay

4) I do not want coins that have higher value due to rarity. I want the value to be based on the gold itself.

5) Must be easy for me to sell when I deem appropriate

Can someone also confirm that physical gold bullion will involve less spread than things like goldmoney.com

Thx in advance

I have decided to invest in gold. Can anyone recommend the best way forward for me given my needs?

1) I'd be quite keen to hold the physical gold and don't have a problem storing it

2) I would like to be able to buy/sell with the least possible spread

3) I am happy to go somewhere in London and pick the gold up, but do not want to buy coins on ebay

4) I do not want coins that have higher value due to rarity. I want the value to be based on the gold itself.

5) Must be easy for me to sell when I deem appropriate

Can someone also confirm that physical gold bullion will involve less spread than things like goldmoney.com

Thx in advance

You could trry getting krugerrands from www.goldine.co.uk aka Baird and Co. That should cover all of your questions :-)

Baird & Co.

137 High St.,

London E15 2RB.

Tel: 0208 555 5217

Fax: 0208 534 3583

--------------------

Baird & Co.

24 St. Cross St.,

Hatton Garden,

London EC1N 8UH.

Tel: 020 7 831 2838.

Edited by bottletop

Yea i got mine from there too.

12x Krugerrands got then in a safe now. they deliver next day on reciept of your payment.

I think it was 9 x 1974's and 3 x 1980.

Baird & Co also deliver online (www.goldline.co.uk). It's a bit of a slow process but saves having to go down there. The website is a bit pants to be honest and doesn't show stock levels but it may be easier if you're a long way away.

12x Krugerrands got then in a safe now. they deliver next day on reciept of your payment.

Just one small piece of advice. Never underestimate the risks of posting that kind of information on a public forum. It's not impossible to get your address. Very difficult but not impossible. It's probably better to just say you have some rather than specific amounts.

You could try Bullionvault.com

Link on the links page of this forum. Only pain is getting the money transfered but after that it is easy. Must be I did it. :)

Link on the links page of this forum. Only pain is getting the money transfered but after that it is easy. Must be I did it. :)

Do you have to get idenitification notorised with them? You have to with Goldmoney so I was wondering if Bullionvault is any different?

I'm starting to love gold :)

(until it crashes)

Cheers guys!

Does anyone know what sorts of amounts you need to buy before getting some kind of discount?

Also what kind of spread does a Krugg have ie if I bought today and sold tommorrow at the same price how much would I lose?

I don't understand bullionvault.com! They go on about actually owning the gold but you can't get your hands on it. If you wanted to take it all and leave the country you can't. You can only sell it to other people using bullionvault.com.

Either you want to make money from trading in which case you'd use CFDs or like me you want to physically own some gold(with a view to profit at some time over the next 10 years) in which case you'd hold physical gold. So whats the point of bullionvault????????????

Just when I was thinking of getting some gold.... the market hits a 25 yr high....

now... to gamble on continued growth... or surely there will be a bit of profit baggin towards the end of the week. Is friday a better day to purchase?

Baird & Co also deliver online (www.goldline.co.uk). It's a bit of a slow process but saves having to go down there. The website is a bit pants to be honest and doesn't show stock levels but it may be easier if you're a long way away.

Just one small piece of advice. Never underestimate the risks of posting that kind of information on a public forum. It's not impossible to get your address. Very difficult but not impossible. It's probably better to just say you have some rather than specific amounts.

all the effort for 4k?, i think they'd give up once they got their van to my house and realise there is nothing here :)

Where is the best place to sell gold coins in people experience?

I was a bit disappointed to only be quoted £285 a Kruger by a London dealer yesterday.

I was a bit disappointed to only be quoted £285 a Kruger by a London dealer yesterday.

As with many items, selling back to a dealer is not going to get you the best price. EBay is pretty good, but I would think you'll need to build up a reputation as a solid character. Give it a try. There's certainly a hell of a lot of bullion for sale there by sellers with impeccable feedback records, so someone is doing it. Otherwise, auctions might be worth a try, especially if you are selling several coins.

Unless you bought your coins a long time ago it's too early to think of selling. I don't plan to even think of selling until gold hits something close to $1,000, and even then I'll be taking a long hard look at the support. Potentially, gold and silver don't really have maximum upsides. $10,000 gold is not impossible after 2010. You wouldn't want to miss that. The risk in just holding on to a few K of gold/silver is well worth exposure to such a valuation.

Ebay is definitely a good place to sell...judging by recent prices of completed sales krugerrands go for up to £350. I don't know what the fees would be - probably 4% of the total perhaps. Put them on buy-it-now at 5% over spot with £5 special delivery and they'd go like hot cakes IMHO

I've worked out that the cost of my stash has averaged out at £250 per ounce, so that's nice :P

So this is making even less sense!

Goldline is quoting £323 for a 1oz Krugg, so if the best you can get from a dealer is £285 thats a circa 15% spread.

That also means bottletops post makes no sense, why would people pay £350 on ebay if you can buy direct from a dealer for £323?

Am I missing something here?????????????

So this is making even less sense!

Goldline is quoting ?323 for a 1oz Krugg, so if the best you can get from a dealer is ?285 thats a circa 15% spread.

That also means bottletops post makes no sense, why would people pay ?350 on ebay if you can buy direct from a dealer for ?323?

Am I missing something here?????????????

people would pay that on ebay for a number of reasons, the most likely being that that is the market price on ebay at that particular moment in time as a result of supply/demand. If there is only one coin finishing in that hour and 2 people want it.....Or maybe they just haven't heard of goldline.

And if they ebay fees are, say, 4% then the seller only gets £336 anyway.

people would pay that on ebay for a number of reasons, the most likely being that that is the market price on ebay at that particular moment in time as a result of supply/demand. If there is only one coin finishing in that hour and 2 people want it.....Or maybe they just haven't heard of goldline.

Sounds like buying online, then selling on ebay is a good business!

What do you mean by 'only one coin FINISHING in that hour'

Also these coins are not rare, there are millions of them. I do not understand. I'm not trying to be rude but your post does not make sense. Either you have it wrong, or people on ebay are stupid.

<_<

What do you mean by 'only one coin FINISHING in that hour'

Also these coins are not rare, there are millions of them. I do not understand. I'm not trying to be rude but your post does not make sense. Either you have it wrong, or people on ebay are stupid.

<_<

I meant one krugerrand, not one gold coin of any description :)

And yes, people on ebay can be stupid. if someone wants a krugerrand at that particular time they will pay well over spot for it. Good news if you're a seller.

And I agree they are not rare. However, there are only 9 krugerrand auctions ending (finishing) in the next 24 hours as I speak, and if you want to buy one immediately it will cost you £340

price examples of completed items:

ebay item 8369516416 £355 +£7.50 p&p

ebay item 8369514317 £349.99 +£7.50 p&p

ebay item 8370103105 £349.99 +£3 p&p

all the above went for well in excess of spot.

But this one was only £310 +£4.50p&p as a buy it now item:

ebay item 8369666939

Edited by bottletop

I meant one krugerrand, not one gold coin of any description :)

And yes, people on ebay can be stupid. if someone wants a krugerrand at that particular time they will pay well over spot for it. Good news if you're a seller.

And I agree they are not rare. However, there are only 9 krugerrand auctions ending (finishing) in the next 24 hours as I speak, and if you want to buy one immediately it will cost you £340

price examples of completed items:

ebay item 8369516416 £355 +£7.50 p&p

ebay item 8369514317 £349.99 +£7.50 p&p

ebay item 8370103105 £349.99 +£3 p&p

all the above went for well in excess of spot.

But this one was only £310 +£4.50p&p as a buy it now item:

ebay item 8369666939

I just find it difficult to understand why someone would need a Krug right this minute and pay over the odds for it when goldline will sell you one cheaper. Maybe I'll start selling Krugs on ebay myself!

:):)

might be people will go the ebay route because it doesnt report you if you spend over £5K in gold bullion (unlike goldmoney who will report you to the goverment)

might be people will go the ebay route because it doesnt report you if you spend over £5K in gold bullion (unlike goldmoney who will report you to the goverment)

Makes you stop and think, dunnit? Kin of alarming the people who must be considering gold now... not the nicest guys.

Makes you stop and think, dunnit? Kin of alarming the people who must be considering gold now... not the nicest guys.

maybe people just don't want the govt. confiscating it when fiat (paper)money goes down the pan (as happened in the States after the Wall Street crash).

Any anyway, if gold bullion is *only* a commodity, why does the govt. care who holds it?

;)

There are times when I feel blessed in finding HPC, and others when I feel cursed, such is life, I feel another new hobby encroaching. Pathetic question guys, but are thse coins well presented :blink: also the investment bars, at what point is the cut off between investment bars and bullion? Again, sorry to sound like a kid in a candy store, is it a good feeling this collecting coins? Doesn`t take long to fill up the checkout basket with 8Ks worth does it? :o

Trying to think ahead for kids etc. anyone give me rough stats. on what gold has done vis a vis other investments over a 20 yr period?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Converted Lurker

Pathetic question guys, but are thse coins well presented :blink:

also the investment bars, at what point is the cut off between investment bars and bullion?

Trying to think ahead for kids etc. anyone give me rough stats. on what gold has done vis a vis other investments over a 20 yr period?

Thanks in advance.

People argue about the beauty or lack of it of different gold coins. I don't care. I buy pure (24 karat) bullion coins. Canadian Maple Leafs, Pandas, there are others. The key is 24 karat. Not 22 karat (though these 22 karat hold their value too). Effectively what you are then buying is a bullion disk rather than a bullion bar. The disk is also stamped with an intricate design that is far harder to counterfeit than a bullion bar stamp is. This is important with both gold and silver because when you go to sell bars, the buyer may first ask for them to be assayed. Such requests are very unlikely when you go to sell bullion coins.

My coin of choice is the 10z Canadian Maple Leaf.

Investment cut off point. There isn't one really. You can buy either coins or bars. Generally, if you are not sure what you need to buy then you need to buy coins.

Over the last 20 years is difficult to say because gold had some interesting spikes 15 years or so ago. Basically it has fallen slowly through the last 20 years until 1999, when it began what was then a slow curve up.