House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Financial Wizard Soros Sees Hard Landing For Hpi

http://uk.us.biz.yahoo.com/rb/060109/markets_soros.html?.v=2

"If housing continues to cool while rates are slowing then it could turn into a hard landing," Soros said.

Perhaps 2006 will contninue the trend in 2005 with the market edging down in most areas of the UK with the real damage to come later in the year and 2007?

"If housing continues to cool while rates are slowing then it could turn into a hard landing," Soros said.

Perhaps 2006 will contninue the trend in 2005 with the market edging down in most areas of the UK with the real damage to come later in the year and 2007?

I think the damage is already underway.

Although as has been said many times on these forums - it won't be noticed until its happened and is reported.

I think that even fairly bearish people don't want to look foolish and so try and time their comments against when the falls will be public knowledge, not when they will occur.

the 30-40% drops we need have already happened.

weer just waiting for the sellersto realise. at the moment they still list them at 2004 prices. but its now 2006 and no ones buyeing them.hence they sit there. sellers confused somehow that no ones paying them twice the real worth anymore...

"...switch the machines back on..."

stocks are doing well again today.

Soros thought the dollar would fall last year and lost a fortune.

Comes down to probabilities. The man's made a lot of money in the markets but like everyone he doesn't get it right all the time. He got his timing wrong with the dollar and lost because of it. But in general his track record is that he gets it right.

So you could say that what he says will probably happen but of course there's no guarantee.

Well if he bought at peak £1 - $1.95 ish, and sold at the low £1 - $1.72 that's a 12% return, which doesn't sound too bad to me.

????? He wanted the dollar to fall, so he would have wanted GBP/USD to rise beyond 1.95 (using your example of entering and exiting the trade at those prices). Your example shows dollar strength, the opposite of what Soros wanted (if the previous poster was correct).

It is always another year away isn't it? :angry:

????? He wanted the dollar to fall, so he would have wanted GBP/USD to rise beyond 1.95 (using your example of entering and exiting the trade at those prices). Your example shows dollar strength, the opposite of what Soros wanted (if the previous poster was correct).

Whoops, my stupid mistake for some reason I read it the wrong way around :rolleyes:

I think the damage is already underway.

Although as has been said many times on these forums - it won't be noticed until its happened and is reported.

I think that even fairly bearish people don't want to look foolish and so try and time their comments against when the falls will be public knowledge, not when they will occur.

We have already seen that with the stagnation of the market. A few months a go i am pretty sure the bulls were still going on about rising house prices, only now at the end of the year have they moved on to "the worsed is over", even though a few months back the housing market was fine, what stagnation?!

ed: *looks at above graph and head explodes*

Edited by sllabres

Soros,buffet and co are not daft......he probably hedged a great deal.

...and most likely instigated the rise,knowing that saying what he did would influence some folk to heed his advice......so he did the opposite and bought the dollar.

nice isn't it,creating distressed sellers to make yourself a buying window.

for what it's worth,if soros says there's a hard landing coming there probably is.