House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crystal ball

Fed Hides M3 As Iran Switches To Petro-euros

Problems on the Horizon summed up perfectly with this article.

If the Dollar tanks, Treasuries might not be far behind. If Treasuries tank, kiss the Housing-driven boom goodbye. Could the Master Planners be hiding M-3 because they anticipate they may have to monetize the Federal debt, buy our own Treasury Bonds during the coming economic attack against the Dollar? That would require a ton of new fresh money creation - too much to disclose.

http://peakoil.com/modules.php?name=News&f...ticle&sid=10225

http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/h6/discm3.htm

:ph34r:

If the Dollar tanks, Treasuries might not be far behind. If Treasuries tank, kiss the Housing-driven boom goodbye. Could the Master Planners be hiding M-3 because they anticipate they may have to monetize the Federal debt, buy our own Treasury Bonds during the coming economic attack against the Dollar? That would require a ton of new fresh money creation - too much to disclose.

Okay, crystal ball, I'm game, this sounds really interesting. The thing is, you will have to spell it out for those of us not familiar with the wheels-within-wheels which connect the Gnomes of Zurich to the Illuminati Bilderburg group.

I understand M3 is basically a statement of how many dollars there are in existence (electronic or otherwise).

I understand that the coming of the Iranian Oil Bourse may cause big oil consumers like China, Japan and Germany to dump their dollar reserves.

I understand that the US is in massive public and private debt.

Now, what does "monetizing the federal debt" mean?

frugalista

This is not exactly news. It is not all that clear that the Iranian oil bourse will actually be successful in drawing trade out of the dollar. Al Pirata did an excellent analysis of this in a previous posting. I must say I did not completely follow his reasoning, but he did seem to know what he was talking about....

Al Pirata?

M3 is being removed as its becoming more and more difficult to calculate (especially for dollars where large sums are held offshore and many hedgefunds have borrowed billions of dollars).

I don't think many people are happy at losing it but everyone seems to agree that calculating it has become impossible and hence it has become an irrelevence (although its awfully useful to have).

Now, what does "monetizing the federal debt" mean?

I owe 20k today

If the central bank prints vast sums of money over the next 5 yrs then the 20k I pay back will only have the purchasing power of , say 14k.

Inflation will erode the money of savers and reduce the obligations of debtors.

All governments are debtors

primarily through healthcare and social security obligations

Inflation reduces (monetises) their debt.

But if everyone is dumping US$ to buy Oil from Iran in say euro's then America would have a flood of USD$ so why would they print even more

Up with inflation goes interest rates so will this help anyone

Bush needs another 9-11 or to come up with the only vaccine in the world for a virus like Sars

But if everyone is dumping US$ to buy Oil from Iran in say euro's then America would have a flood of USD$ so why would they print even more

Up with inflation goes interest rates so will this help anyone

Bush needs another 9-11 or to come up with the only vaccine in the world for a virus like Sars

Nail hit on head there. I think that if the US and the UK are ever to get out of this debt and perpetual trade balance mess then we need something that everyone wants. I don't really see much that fits the bill.

When our manufacturing went we were told it was OK because we were still designing stuff and only the dirty work was done abroad. Hey, we also had call centres as a bonus (the "jewel in the crown of the Scottish economy" a government minister said once, which made me cringe).

Now the call centres are going, and the far east are designing their own stuff to sell to us.

What do we do now? Sell them our houses for a profit and live on that?

Edited by aclwalker

M3 is being removed as its becoming more and more difficult to calculate (especially for dollars where large sums are held offshore and many hedgefunds have borrowed billions of dollars).

I don't think many people are happy at losing it but everyone seems to agree that calculating it has become impossible and hence it has become an irrelevence (although its awfully useful to have).

Only the federal reserve banks can create dollars or remove them from circulation.

Therefore, if it knows M3 at time x, it can calculate M3 at time x+1 by incorporating its record of dollars created / removed.

right?

frugalista

I think that if the US and the UK are ever to get out of this debt and perpetual trade balance mess then we need something that everyone wants. I don't really see much that fits the bill.

If the UK and US paid back all of their debt there would be no money left in the economy, that is the point, that is how the private institutions of the fed an BoE work. The debt continually increases and the government spend that debt into the economy, it's secured against your income tax. It is mankind's biggest biggest scam.

If the central bank prints vast sums of money over the next 5 yrs then the 20k I pay back will only have the purchasing power of , say 14k.

Inflation will erode the money of savers and reduce the obligations of debtors.

Okay, that's understood. But how do they print the money. Isn't it something to do with "buying treasury bonds" as mentioned in the original post?

frugalista

Talk about scams!(sorry didnt mean to hi-jack this thread)

Enjoy the last vestiges of internet freedom.

You will soon have limited access to knowledge on a 'need to know' basis or they will price knowledge access beyond most people's pockets!

Secret plan to divide and bill the web

What you may not be familiar with is the FCC's intense fear that media companies or the telephone companies will wall off content and internet services from certain classes of customers.

While not perfectly clear about the issue at hand, Martin seems to think the internet will be divided up and with different classes of content walled off from consumers.

Telephone companies to charge ISP's Xtra

Talk about scams!(sorry didnt mean to hi-jack this thread)

Enjoy the last vestiges of internet freedom.

You will soon have limited access to knowledge on a 'need to know' basis or they will price knowledge access beyond most people's pockets!

Telephone companies to charge ISP's Xtra

It had to happen sooner or later, it's been too good to be true, the banks want full control.