House Price Crash Forum

Immigration=demand=increased Hps...yeah Right

I hope for his sake he does as it's a criminal offence not to plus all the rent paid by the Poles could be clawed back from him!

DOes any body know how council tax works in a HiMO situation as it seem his 8 Poles are paying less than £250 per month between them on council tax.

I did have to resist the temptation to refer to it as "Pole Tax" :D

Does he for example have all fire exits clearly displayed? Has he informed the council of the number of occupants?

In that case may I suggest that you campaign for all "ethnic brits" return home.. I think that the "ethnic english" make up about 15% of the US population (approx 40 million people). + Oz, SAfrica, Zim, Canada NZ..

Now that would have an effect on more than just house prices.. :lol:

IMO its a bit rich for you to complain about immigration when the "brits" are to be found in (unfairly gained) positions of power in numerous other countries. I wonder how people like you would react if the "non ethnic immigrants" in the UK also held the economic and political reigns of power? What if they only held and maintained these through corrupt means?

Karma perhaps? Chickens roosting? Dont know.. BUT please stop the hypocrisy...

I don't have a licence and find your suggestion amusing, thousands of peps rent out their propertis this way for years and none have a licence or pay double council tax. This is a method for getting your mortgage paid in under 5 years. Its an informal agreement, no tenancy or regs, they need a place I provide a place simple as that. Its about getting it paid off in the shortest possible time by rents, secondary incomes etc. Then just collecting rent every month. Im not OTT live modestly and well below my means. Ill wait a few years before allowing myself lifes luxuries. Living life debt free....

I don't have a licence and find your suggestion amusing, thousands of peps rent out their propertis this way for years and none have a licence or pay double council tax. This is a method for getting your mortgage paid in under 5 years. Its an informal agreement, no tenancy or regs, they need a place I provide a place simple as that. Its about getting it paid off in the shortest possible time by rents, secondary incomes etc. Then just collecting rent every month. Im not OTT live modestly and well below my means. Ill wait a few years before allowing myself lifes luxuries. Living life debt free....

So you're making money illegally. Big pat on the back.

So you're making money illegally. Big pat on the back.

In your opinion maybe, I see it as providing a service, nobody is a model citizien, so don't try and take the moral high ground here. Do you really think wealthy and successful people got to where they are today by towing the line, if you do belive this then im sorry you are naive. Im not hurting anybody, and dont lose sleep over it. My tenants are grateful to me for providing them with affordable housing. Its very simple

In your opinion maybe, I see it as providing a service, nobody is a model citizien, so don't try and take the moral high ground here. Do you really think wealthy and successful people got to where they are today by towing the line, if you do belive this then im sorry you are naive. Im not hurting anybody, and dont lose sleep over it. My tenants are grateful to me for providing them with affordable housing. Its very simple

I don't know where to start really.

Well maybe nobody is a model citizen but not everybody breaks the law to fund the life of luxury. And yeah plenty of wealthy and successful people did get where they are today without breaking the law. Most of them in fact.

There are reasons for all the regulations over HMOs. One is that without intervention of the authorities they can become unhealthy and dangerous places to live. Slums, in a word.

I'm sure your tenants are grateful for providing them with affordable housing, I'm sure their employers are also grateful that you provide accomodation at a rate that enables them to pay your polish guys less than a local worker living in a normal habitable place and not kipping with a stranger. Now do you realise that to compete with the polish workers and their low overheads, local workers will have to start living like this as well. Except they won't so they go on the dole and we pay for them. You are bringing down the standard of our whole society. You are a slum landlord

I am not going to get too worked up about this as you are probably a troll, but if you are for real you strike me as a nasty, greedy piece of work.

The main impact if immigration on HPI, as far as I can tell, is that it helps to keep overall inflation low, which results in lower interest rates, which supports the debt binge.

Good for the Poles, not so good for people who plan to stay here.

I don't have a licence and find your suggestion amusing, thousands of peps rent out their propertis this way for years and none have a licence or pay double council tax.

Until one of them has an accident with a burning fag or a chip pan fire, in which case you have a bunch of bodies in your investment and a lot of explaining to do, and most probably will serve Mr. Bubba at her Majesty's pleasure as well.

And even if you don't kill your tenants, it only takes one visit from the firebrigade (investigating a near accident or so...) or any other official who knows what to look for and the game is up. (gas / lecki meter readers, bailiffs etc have been known to not be completely unawares of the laws or without ethics). moreover, your neighbours might object and call the council to ask what on earth is going on next door, or, the police might visit them one evening to sort out a domestic.. not to mention, our friend the taxman might decide to take a look... the possiblities of being found out are endless.

Oh, and once your tenants find out about their rights, you have a whole host of other problems, and some might feel that you owe them some money back and more -- you might be interested to know that the polish mafia guys are a diffrent dimension of criminal -- lets just say that avoiding them at any cost is a very good thing to aspire to. I'm not saying your tenants are mafia members, but, I can assure you that the grapevine in Poland is a lot more densly grown than in the UK, and once those guys know that you're for the taking, you really have problems.

Cinnamon

Something I would like to add here regarding low wages and unemployment which involves our friend

Andrew Oswald.

To quote Will Hutton from the book The State We're In , "the British economists David Blanchflower and Andrew Oswald [examined] . . . the data in twelve countries about the actual relation between wages and unemployment - and what they have discovered is another major challenge to the free market account of the labour market. . . [They found] precisely the opposite relationship [than that predicted "classical economic theory"]. The higher the wages, the lower the local unemployment - and the lower the wages, the higher the local unemployment. As they say, this is not a conclusion that can be squared with free market text-book theories of how a competitive labour market should work" [Op. Cit., p. 102]

This fits with statistics that despite of the high numbers of immigrants coming into the UK, unemployment

is still going up.

Can't say I disagree with that. A couple of rate drops & it'll be cheaper to buy than rent. That'll put a firecracker up you & send you off competing with other buyers in a rush to avoid missing out at these prices. We'll see then how you feel about STR'ing.

That could be true. If rates fall enough then the loan will be cheap enough to make it cheaper to buy than to rent. It will also erode STR savings. But the one huge problem with that is that it is a short term answer only. Over the term of a persons mortgage rates will innevitably rise to higher than they are now. At that point the loan may become unserviceable. Eventually this effect will cause prices to fall either nominally or in real terms. I agree that the long term trend for prices is always up. But my concern is that right now there is a considerable risk of a short term downturn. It could be a long way off or it could be right now. My view is that the risks of it being soon are higher than the risks of it being a long time away.

Lot of ignorance about immigrants on this forum. I find they tend to outdo the indeginous population by a long chalk and in pretty quick order.

A lot of us seem to like pigeon holeing them, perhaps this gives us a feeling of being higher up the food chain.

3 examples of my experience:

AFRICANS; Nearly every one Ive met is adept at making money and sticks with the initial low peanuts job for as short a time as possible. Many Ive known work as agency nurses and often earn £50000 al in. On top of this they tend to be multiple B2Ls and natural business people.

GREEKS; 20 years ago the Greeks I knew in North London were menial workers. Within 5 - 10 years most I knew had large detatched homes in Winchmore Hill, Palmers green and other more upmarket areas, and often became sucesful business owners. They lead the charge with B2L. Now I can only think of a couple it did not become wealthy.

TURKS; 20 years ago many Turks and Kurds came to N London. Same pattern again; initially taking low paid jobs but soon establishing business's and again leading the B2L charge.

You know the Jews took menial jobs often when they fled Poland and later Germany. Didnt take them long to become sucessful.

Shame the indeginous people seem to find it so hard to make money, it isnt hard.

Lot of ignorance about immigrants on this forum. I find they tend to outdo the indeginous population by a long chalk and in pretty quick order.

A lot of us seem to like pigeon holeing them, perhaps this gives us a feeling of being higher up the food chain.

3 examples of my experience:

AFRICANS; Nearly every one Ive met is adept at making money and sticks with the initial low peanuts job for as short a time as possible. Many Ive known work as agency nurses and often earn £50000 al in. On top of this they tend to be multiple B2Ls and natural business people.

GREEKS; 20 years ago the Greeks I knew in North London were menial workers. Within 5 - 10 years most I knew had large detatched homes in Winchmore Hill, Palmers green and other more upmarket areas, and often became sucesful business owners. They lead the charge with B2L. Now I can only think of a couple it did not become wealthy.

TURKS; 20 years ago many Turks and Kurds came to N London. Same pattern again; initially taking low paid jobs but soon establishing business's and again leading the B2L charge.

You know the Jews took menial jobs often when they fled Poland and later Germany. Didnt take them long to become sucessful.

Shame the indeginous people seem to find it so hard to make money, it isnt hard.

Er, hang on...I don't remember anyone on here saying immigrants aren't hard working and successful in general (although some communities have been considerably less successful than the ones you have given as examples). It's patently obvious that immigrants have been very successful here (which should reflect well on British society and culture) that's not what we are debating. The question is - what impact will the current crop of immigrants have on house prices. And many of have come to the conclusion that the poles etc in their majority are not planning on staying long-term and buying houses, so the impact is negligible. Additionally the downward pressure their presence is having on wages will also restrain HPI.

So get off your high horse.

You are a CRIMINAL! Lets just hope you get caught and your illegal rents taken off you. Preferably before the 8 Poles die in a house fire.

You are a CRIMINAL! Lets just hope you get caught and your illegal rents taken off you. Preferably before the 8 Poles die in a house fire.

Hold on a minute lets just clear up some of your assumptions, I didn’t say it was a HMO, my arrangement began with the Director of this Polish building company, I got him last year to quote for some work on my house before letting it. It so happened we got talking and he asked what my plans would be with the house, I explained I intended to rent it out. He suggested that he would be interested as his guys who work locally needed some place to stay, as some of them travel from Ealing to East London everyday. I never referred to my property as a HMO, but simply a house share.

I don't like to respond to insults as it detracts from the whole point of a forum to share views, but I will say im not a slum landlord or troll etc. £60 a room is the going rate around this part of East London. So im not offering them a cheap deal, they pay the going rate. The house now is in a better state then before I let it out. I have provided them with 2 TVs, Broadband access, and a PC. They are not strangers, as they all work together. Its 8 people living in a house which has 2 bathrooms and good clean living space. Ive got all my gas, electric certs all up to date. As for the neighbours on one side we have an couple in there late 50s who are quite happy with the polish chaps next door, they have even done work for them.

I find it strange how people say things are too expensive in London and want better value, they want cheaper quotes for home repair upkeep building work etc but then moan about immigrants coming in and undercutting the market. But don't realise that these same peps who do the work better and lower costs need some place to sleep at night they don’t just grab a flight back to Poland every night. These guys are having to turn work down because they are so busy. If the demand didn’t exist they wouldn’t be here

Hold on a minute lets just clear up some of your assumptions, I didn’t say it was a HMO, my arrangement began with the Director of this Polish building company, I got him last year to quote for some work on my house before letting it. It so happened we got talking and he asked what my plans would be with the house, I explained I intended to rent it out. He suggested that he would be interested as his guys who work locally needed some place to stay, as some of them travel from Ealing to East London everyday. I never referred to my property as a HMO, but simply a house share.

I don't like to respond to insults as it detracts from the whole point of a forum to share views, but I will say im not a slum landlord or troll etc. £60 a room is the going rate around this part of East London. So im not offering them a cheap deal, they pay the going rate. The house now is in a better state then before I let it out. I have provided them with 2 TVs, Broadband access, and a PC. They are not strangers, as they all work together. Its 8 people living in a house which has 2 bathrooms and good clean living space. Ive got all my gas, electric certs all up to date. As for the neighbours on one side we have an couple in there late 50s who are quite happy with the polish chaps next door, they have even done work for them.

I find it strange how people say things are too expensive in London and want better value, they want cheaper quotes for home repair upkeep building work etc but then moan about immigrants coming in and undercutting the market. But don't realise that these same peps who do the work better and lower costs need some place to sleep at night they don’t just grab a flight back to Poland every night. These guys are having to turn work down because they are so busy. If the demand didn’t exist they wouldn’t be here

Your house IS an HMO, unless all your Polish builders are brothers. You obviously haven't done your research!

An HMO is defined in section 345 of the Housing Act 1985 as - ' a house occupied by persons who do not form a single household'. Or put another way, An HMO is a property that is shared by three or more tenants who aren't members of the same family. HMO landlords must have a licence from the council. This ensures that the property is managed properly and meets certain safety standards. The licence will be valid for up to three years, and will then have to be renewed.

You might find this interesting:

Landlady fined for breaching HMO regulations

11-Jul-05

Islington Council has prosecuted a Holloway landlady of a house in multiple occupation (HMO) for disobeying an order to limit its use to one household.

On 28 June 2005, Mrs MH Constantinou, landlady of 17 Cardozo Road, Holloway was fined £1,000 in Highbury Magistrates’ Court and ordered to pay £670 in costs to Islington Council.

Under the Housing Act 1985 (section 354), local authorities can limit the number of households and persons who can occupy a property.

The council’s residential environmental health officers, were called to the property when a tenant alerted them that the nine bed roomed property had only one kitchen and did not meet minimum standards for fire safety (it had no fire alarm or detection system).

Homes in multiple occupancy have to have an acceptable number of kitchens and bathrooms.

The property was let to as many as 20 people at a time, and had problems with dampness. Mrs Constantinou was ordered to do the necessary works to bring the house into good condition and meet legal requirements, but these were not carried out and she had continued to let the property.

Councillor Jyoti Vaja, executive member for housing and community safety said:

“Islington Council will use its powers to protect tenants health and safety in bedsits, hostels or shared houses.

We repeatedly warned this landlady to make the improvements required - but she ignored us.

The message from this prosecution is simple: we will protect vulnerable tenants by enforcing the law."

The prosecution comes as the council is preparing to introduce the compulsory licensing of HMOs under the new Housing Act 2004, which will take effect in October 2005.

HMOs include houses containing bedsits, shared houses and hostels. Local authorities will need to license HMOs with three or more storeys and more than five occupants.

Islington Council is currently consulting on its draft policy on HMO licensing

and other changes to the regulation of the private rented sector as a result of the Housing Act 2004.

http://www.islington.gov.uk/Council/Counci...005/07/2071.asp

YOU might not call it a HiMO just as a drunk driver might refer to themselves as a drunk driver.

The chances of people dying in house fires increases significantly when living in MO. That's why the rules are there to protect peoples lives.

By your "economic argument" you'd be happy keeping car prices down by doing away with seat belts and airbags. WHilst we're at it lets not bother with MOT's eh?:P

BTW bet your housing insurance is invalidated as well :o

I heard of a young Yorkshire lad who's family were asian. He did tedious manual work in the family fiah and chip shop and the last I heard he had 120K in the bank. Isn't that marvellous.

Yes you get a lot of that going on in Leicester but it's because there is a good chance that they are also on the dole and no one ask questions becuse that would be racist.

we do not have a level playing field here.

Your house IS an HMO, unless all your Polish builders are brothers. You obviously haven't done your research!

An HMO is defined in section 345 of the Housing Act 1985 as - ' a house occupied by persons who do not form a single household'. Or put another way, An HMO is a property that is shared by three or more tenants who aren't members of the same family. HMO landlords must have a licence from the council. This ensures that the property is managed properly and meets certain safety standards. The licence will be valid for up to three years, and will then have to be renewed.

I'm sure you're right on the legal front but open up a copy of Loot and see how many houseshares and flatshares there are advertised. What proportion do you think are HMO licenced? I would guess a very small percentage. Not saying it's alright, but it is probably very widespread.

I'm sure you're right on the legal front but open up a copy of Loot and see how many houseshares and flatshares there are advertised. What proportion do you think are HMO licenced? I would guess a very small percentage. Not saying it's alright, but it is probably very widespread.

Yes there are a lot of sitting ducks out there for when the councils need a new revenue stream. They did it with parking.