House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
paranoidmick

Immigration=demand=increased Hps...yeah Right

Chatting to a friend who's son is a bricklayer working for £150 a day not so long ago in London.

Turns out there is no demand for his services at that rate of pay any more because East Europeans are doing a days graft for £40.

Some obvious implications;

On those wages the migrant worker will not be buying property in the UK- No increased demand

Previously well paid young man cannot now buy here -No increased demand

Situation presumably extends to several trades with similar outcome.

It has been VI spin to suggest that the increase in population will fuel the continuation of HP growth.

Here on HPC that view was contested and as with pretty much every bear prediction on this site, it has, or it will come true.

There are some basic realities out there that do not need graphs or in depth knowledge of economics to understand.

We are a coutry in debt with a population in debt. Paying that off will not be easy with a recession in progress, (and it is), HPs falling (and they are) unemployment rising (just look at the business pages).

I would like to thank the intelligent people on this site and their words of wisdom which allowed me to make the decision to sell and rent instead. It is proving to be the most sensible thing i have ever done. For those who stugglke with the detailed economic analysis, just look around and listen. The signs are everywhere.

Patience will be rewarded. Th

ings are going to accelerate this year and the opportunity to buy your own home when it is cheaper than renting may not be that far away. ;)

Chatting to a friend who's son is a bricklayer working for £150 a day not so long ago in London.

Turns out there is no demand for his services at that rate of pay any more because East Europeans are doing a days graft for £40.

On those wages the migrant worker will not be buying property in the UK- No increased demand

It has been VI spin to suggest that the increase in population will fuel the continuation of HP growth.

Here on HPC that view was contested and as with pretty much every bear prediction on this site, it has, or it will come true.

There are some basic realities out there that do not need graphs or in depth knowledge of economics to understand.

We are a coutry in debt with a population in debt. Paying that off will not be easy with a recession in progress, (and it is), HPs falling (and they are) unemployment rising (just look at the business pages).

I would like to thank the intelligent people on this site and their words of wisdom which allowed me to make the decision to sell and rent instead. It is proving to be the most sensible thing i have ever done. For those who stugglke with the detailed economic analysis, just look around and listen. The signs are everywhere.

ings are going to accelerate this year and the opportunity to buy your own home when it is cheaper than renting may not be that far away. ;)

I agree w/ your analysis, and I've done exactly the same thing. All this is just absolute rubbish to sell people the idea that these prices are sustainable.

Here's an article I was reading on how to spot the end of a bull market (ideas that have evolved over many trading cycles):

1. An indiscriminate and exponential rise in prices

2. The widespread belief that 'it's different this time'

3. Widespread fear of 'missing out' on the next hot stock

4. The abandonment of traditional methods of valuing shares

5. High levels of trading volume and increased involvement of private investors

Ring any bells?

First phase: There is a sharp initial fall that removes much of the 'froth' from the market.

That's 2006.

You may want to discuss this with brainclamp.

I think he'd disagree rather strongly with you, although I'm still waiting for anyone to show me the correlation between Polish builders working below minimum wage and rampant housing inflation.

Also something to consider is that companies will longer train western workers to do these jobs because saving on training is one of the advantages of importing labour.

A friend of mine enrolled on a part time course in bricklaying which was so popular that he couldnt get a place, found out later the course was cancelled anyway because they couldnt get anyone to teach it.

A lot of immigrants dont just come here for the money, it is also for the work experience, they have the training and qualifications but no experiance, once they have a couple of years and a bit of savings under their belt they plan to go back home to work.

Where that will leave the workers in the UK in future with no training, experience and bosses used to

paying peanuts, wont be paying 150k for 2 bed flats thats for sure.

That immigration trend is waining

A weaker economy, and a recession, will make it much less likely that immigrant will come,

and many will leave.

Have you any figures to back that up? As far as I'm aware the annualised rate of immigration is still very high. If you factor in the rate at which Brits are leaving you can extrapolate that the rate of change from Brits to non Brits is increasing.

In any event even if the rate of immigration is lower it just means things are getting worse less quickly. Can you honestly see a situation where more immigrants (non ethnic Brits) leave than enter?

It's possible that even in a UK recession the economic opportunities in London will be better than in rural Poland, Pakistan or Nigeria.

the opportunity to buy your own home when it is cheaper than renting may not be that far away. ;)

Can't say I disagree with that. A couple of rate drops & it'll be cheaper to buy than rent. That'll put a firecracker up you & send you off competing with other buyers in a rush to avoid missing out at these prices. We'll see then how you feel about STR'ing.

Have you any figures to back that up? As far as I'm aware the annualised rate of immigration is still very high. If you factor in the rate at which Brits are leaving you can extrapolate that the rate of change from Brits to non Brits is increasing.

In any event even if the rate of immigration is lower it just means things are getting worse less quickly. Can you honestly see a situation where more immigrants (non ethnic Brits) leave than enter?

It's possible that even in a UK recession the economic opportunities in London will be better than in rural Poland, Pakistan or Nigeria.

Millions of extra workers who demand less real wages, lowers real wages overall. Unfortunately they do not fit into a tardis, so your council tax goes up to pay income/housing costs for the vastly expanded private rental sector (BTL landlords etc..)..

The well worn blinkered argument that earn so little that they cannot have any effect on houseprices is plainly stupid. Lower wages mean lower inflation - so the BOE can print more money. However, its money you will never see as your ex-DVD real wages drop further (over property and capital).

The faster you join a union, get involved, the more immense the political weight (whatever the laws seem to say now) and the higher your bargaining power. You may even be on a even footing with the public sector - imagine that!

Population growth occurs at a compounding rate, even by immigration, as chain migration occurs. i.e. It gets bigger and bigger with no policy or controls.

Many muslims are closely related through 1st blood marrage, so can import more family members (have more 1st degree relatives). This explains why the population of areas like Birmingham is growing so large in these communities as they import partners.

Edited by brainclamp

Millions of extra workers who demand less real wages, lowers real wages overall. Unfortunately they do not fit into a tardis, so your council tax goes up to pay income/housing costs for the vastly expanded private rental sector (BTL landlords etc..)..

The well worn blinkered argument that earn so little that they cannot have any effect on houseprices is plainly stupid. Lower wages mean lower inflation - so the BOE can print more money. However, its money you will never see as your ex-DVD real wages drop further (over property and capital).

The faster you join a union, get involved, the more immense the political weight (whatever the laws seem to say now) and the higher your bargaining power. You may even be on a even footing with the public sector - imagine that!

:lol: I reakon you sit watching the forum as a guest then as soon as you see 'immigration' you log in and post. Its like a moth to a light, you just cant help yourself :lol:

Meant in the lightheartest of ways i actually enjoy your posts

Hmmm so according to you immigrants = non ethnic Brits. So presumably, people of British descent coming in from Australia, NZ, Zimbabwe or South Africa (of which there have been many thousands) are not immigrants. Only Nigerians, Pakistanis or Poles are "immigrants" in your mind. And you also think this means "things are getting worse".

I would like to remind everybody that this forum is about house prices. Immigration (i.e. people coming to live in the UK from any overseas country) may or may not be relevant to house prices. However, I don't see how the ethnic make up of the population is relevant.

frugalista

Hmmm so according to you immigrants = non ethnic Brits. So presumably, people of British descent coming in from Australia, NZ, Zimbabwe or South Africa (of which there have been many thousands) are not immigrants. Only Nigerians, Pakistanis or Poles are "immigrants" in your mind. And you also think this means "things are getting worse".

I would like to remind everybody that this forum is about house prices. Immigration (i.e. people coming to live in the UK from any overseas country) may or may not be relevant to house prices. However, I don't see how the ethnic make up of the population is relevant.

frugalista

As a nationalist I count Australians, Rhodesians, SouthAfricans etc of 100% British decent as British yes. Our own immigraton law used to take the same position. That's how you could get ancestral Visas.

Are you saying that Nigerians, Pakistanis or Poles aren't immigrants???

As you say the forum is about house prices but this particular posting is about immigration.

The ethnic make up of the population is very relevant to an overall understanding of house prices... see for example the phenomenon of "white flight" from our cities puting pressure on housing stock in other areas.

The Welsh nationalist party, Plaid Cymru, is again facing accusations of racism after its vice-president suggested English people were heading to Wales to escape Indian and Pakistani immigrants.

Addressing Wales's annual cultural festival, the Eisteddfod, Dafydd Iwan said that people were moving to Wales to "avoid all the Pakistanis and all these Indians who have moved to English towns".

"That is the truth of it, ask them. They are coming to Wales to avoid immigration. The situation has got worse," he said.

Obviously this has an effect on house prices to suggest otherwise is to be in denial.

As a nationalist I count Australians, Rhodesians, SouthAfricans etc of 100% British decent as British yes. Our own immigraton law used to take the same position. That's how you could get ancestral Visas.

As you say the forum is about house prices but this particular posting is about immigration.

The ethnic make up of the population is very relevant to an overall understanding of house prices... see for example the phenomenon of "white flight" from our cities puting pressure on housing stock in other areas.

Obviously this has an effect on house prices to suggest otherwise is to be in denial.

Once again the immigration card is played by a few posters. Brainclamp has been going on and on about this for months but has never been able to demonstrate a clear link between HPI and immigration (maybe someone else can?). You need to be coherent. If wages are under pressure because of the inflow of immigrants surely this is negative for HPI.

When people start arguing that immigrant construction workers will drive down interest rates to such an extent that HPI will resume the level of the debate really reaches very low levels....

Stop blaming groups of people or the government for HPI. This is a global phenomenon and momentum in prices has been the driver of irrational HPI over the last years. Now that volumes are low and prices are not rising anymore, property as an asset class will lose its interest regardless of net immigration flows.

Once again the immigration card is played by a few posters. Brainclamp has been going on and on about this for months but has never been able to demonstrate a clear link between HPI and immigration (maybe someone else can?). You need to be coherent. If wages are under pressure because of the inflow of immigrants surely this is negative for HPI.

When people start arguing that immigrant construction workers will drive down interest rates to such an extent that HPI will resume the level of the debate really reaches very low levels....

Stop blaming groups of people or the government for HPI. This is a global phenomenon and momentum in prices has been the driver of irrational HPI over the last years. Now that volumes are low and prices are not rising anymore, property as an asset class will lose its interest regardless of net immigration flows.

It's just one factor along with divorce, speculation, VI spin etc but it shouldn't be a taboo subject IMHO.

Seems like some people want to stiffle debate.

The word "immigrant" means a citizen of a foreign country who comes to live in the UK. It does not say what their ethnic origin is. As I mentioned, many immigrants are of British descent. When we are quoting immigration figures those figures are talking about immigration in the sense of non-UK citizens coming to the UK. Immigrants in this sense might conceivably have an effect on house prices (personally I am skeptical) but this is independent of their ethnic origin.

Your white-flight angle is completely unconvincing. If a million immigrants arrived tomorrow in London it might cause people to seek housing in other areas. But it would not matter what the ethnic origin of those immigrants was. They could be bulldog-owning descendents of pure-blooded blue-eyed herioc Saxon warriors, it would have the same effect.

Looking at some of your other posts, you clearly prefer to use the word "immigrant" to conjure up caricatures of people not of British descent (even if they are UK citizens) because you have your own "ethno-nationalist" agenda, unrelated to house price economics.

frugalista

£40 per day would equal roughly £200 per week. If he comes over with a girlfriend/partner/mate he could theoretically become a renter and split the costs with another person. If they both work, they could easily afford a 1-bed flat (with the living room turned into an ad hoc 2nd bedroom if they are not a couple - believe me, it happens).

More people like this would mean more renters for the BTL crowd, which would in turn encourage more BTL and hence stabilise or raise HPs.

In theory!

I'm not saying this is desirable, but these people *would* have to live somewhere. In general, more people = more demand for housing of some sort or other, IMHO.

The word "immigrant" means a citizen of a foreign country who comes to live in the UK. It does not say what their ethnic origin is. As I mentioned, many immigrants are of British descent. When we are quoting immigration figures those figures are talking about immigration in the sense of non-UK citizens coming to the UK. Immigrants in this sense might conceivably have an effect on house prices (personally I am skeptical) but this is independent of their ethnic origin.

Your white-flight angle is completely unconvincing. If a million immigrants arrived tomorrow in London it might cause people to seek housing in other areas. But it would not matter what the ethnic origin of those immigrants was. They could be bulldog-owning descendents of pure-blooded blue-eyed herioc Saxon warriors, it would have the same effect.

Looking at some of your other posts, you clearly prefer to use the word "immigrant" to conjure up caricatures of people not of British descent (even if they are UK citizens) because you have your own "ethno-nationalist" agenda, unrelated to house price economics.

frugalista

In some ways you are right however the definition of who constitutes an immigrant varies for example in the Netherlands, an immigrant is classified as anyone with one or more parents born abroad. Or one could be talkng about immigrant "communites" which could include both immigrants and UK subjects. Indeed it's possible to an immigrant and a UK subject!

I agree to an extent on your million immigrant effect... however I put it to you that the effects on society of a million Britons (expats or rhodesian farmers for example) returning to this country would be different to a million pakistanis (and would have a differing effect on the housing market). In the real world the fact is that Britons returning to the mother country constitute a small % of inward migration. Even so the home office is considering reviewing the ancestral visa scheme.

It is possible for an "ethno-nationalist" to have view on HPI in the same way as it's possible for a member of the "let 'em all in brigade" to. Believe it or not I also have view on the environment, crime and range of other subjects! :o

£40 per day would equal roughly £200 per week. If he comes over with a girlfriend/partner/mate he could theoretically become a renter and split the costs with another person. If they both work, they could easily afford a 1-bed flat (with the living room turned into an ad hoc 2nd bedroom if they are not a couple - believe me, it happens).

More people like this would mean more renters for the BTL crowd, which would in turn encourage more BTL and hence stabilise or raise HPs.

In theory!

I'm not saying this is desirable, but these people *would* have to live somewhere. In general, more people = more demand for housing of some sort or other, IMHO.

I've seen a small 3 bedroom flat with about 12 brazilians living it, each bedroom stuffed with bunk beds. They were virtually taking shifts on the beds. Being brazilians the whole thing was one massive 24 hour party.

The trouble for the BTL crowd who want to get involved in this is that there are fairly strict HMO regulations that the government is getting keener on enforcing. Plus the place obviously deteriorates fairly quickly, you have a high turnover of people so rent and bills often don't get paid...very much a niche market, more for your dodgy east end gangster than your average BTL crowd-follower

Back to the original point of this thread. The causal mechanism by which immigration is supposed to affect house prices is this:

Immigration -> population increase -> housing demand increase -> property ownership demand increase -> house price increase.

This is very easy to disprove. Suppose this causal chain were true. As a consequence, you would expect levels of rent to have increased dramatically, since this would reflect the housing demand increase you expected. However, in fact rents have only increased a small amount above inflation over the last few years whereas house prices have tripled over the same period. Doesn't stack up.

frugalista

But is it not the case that prices rise when demand increases faster than supply?

In the rental market, supply has risen quite dramatically IMHO (i.e. new builds and BTL) and in fact I think it has even exceeded demand. That's why rents have not risen dramatically.

TimeToCryIntoMyWeakSwedishBeer said "Can't say I disagree with that. A couple of rate drops & it'll be cheaper to buy than rent. That'll put a firecracker up you & send you off competing with other buyers in a rush to avoid missing out at these prices. We'll see then how you feel about STR'ing"

what is the point of his post? just abuse. pure and simple. Oh, and some wishful thinking about interest rates (as usual).

TTRTR, you really are getting PATHETIC. A 'couple of interest rate cuts' WON'T make it cheaper to buy than rent - how can it, with interest rates near the bottom of their range, 90% of FTBs priced out, house prices at historically high multiples of wages etc etc etc? Before I left london, the flat I rented would have cost me roughly £400 a month more to buy than to rent - know this for a FACT because I opened the landlord's mail occassionally. How on EARTH can you (even with your admittedly tiny Aussie brain) think half a percent off interest rates could change that???? Rates would need to drop to about 2.5% to make it even comparable. You're just an idiot, chum. Whistling in the dark (tunelessly). Face it and deal with it.

He then goes on to the personal abuse crap -'That'll put a firecracker up you'... 'We'll see then how you feel about STR'ing' - what a complete and utter antipodean arsebandit. Solvent Celt - ignore him. A LONNNNNG time ago he had something to say. Now all he can do is hurl abuse and cry. Toys --> pram. He knows the game's up, and for about the next 10 years, he is effectively a 'social housing manager' at a wage that isn't particularly exciting, and a whole raft of legal responsibilities that wouyld make the CEO of a top FTSE company cringe.

The bulls claim that migrant workers creating extra demand for housing will prevent a HPC, but there is an inbuilt downside if migrant workers are indeed now an important source of housing demand.

Migrant workers by their nature respond flexibly to demand in the labour market. They have been attracted by good labour market conditions, but when the UK economy eventually heads south, they will go home.

Because a recession is likely to go hand in hand with a downturn in the housing market in any case, this will tend to amplify a HPC, since a large chunk of housing demand will simply disappear, particularly in the low-end BTL sector.

So what is it, bulls? Either migrants are what's going to keep house prices up, but a recession would spell disaster, or you should admit that they're not that important.

I think we can all agree that the factors that have driven HPI to the currently insane levels are complex and not just down to one factor.

It is my opinion that immigration is one of those factors... can immigration prop up house prices all by itself? Of course not. Does it have and effect? Absolutely.

The UK’s population is projected to rise by 7.2 million from 2004 to 2031 – 6.0 million (83%) of this rise is due to immigration
Since 1997 about 376,000 asylum seekers have been refused permission to stay here but only 85,000 have been recorded as having been removed from the UK
In fact in the seven years (1996-2002 inclusive) for which data is currently available net migration to the UK has averaged 127,000 [2] (and to England alone slightly higher at 132,000).
The total number of homes required in this planning period resulting from net migration will be in the order of 1.5 million. This equates to about one-third of the total new homes required in the planning period [5].

9. In Migration Watch’s view the population projections make very conservative assumptions about migration. Net migration in the past 5 years has averaged 158,000 and the government’s immigration policies promote and encourage further increases in migration. Additionally the GAD’s assumption make no allowance for failed asylum seekers who remain in the UK (and the vast majority do) nor for illegal immigration.

For more information see the excellent and informative www.migrationwatchuk.org website - all their figures and claims are fully indexed and verifiable.

I think we are kidding ourselves if we thought that a downturn in the economy would result in hordes of immigrants leaving the UK. Perhaps we can look at the immigration stats for the last HPC vs House prices?

In my own experience of the effect immigrants have on the local economy is great, I have rented out my 3 bedroom 2 reception Victorian terrace in Leyton to a group of Polish builders who pay £60 each a week including bills. I had 6 of them in their before Christmas, but have now been joined by 2 more. I now receive £1920 a month in cash, and after deducting bills which include Council tax, Gas/Electric, Water, TV Licence and Broadband leaves me with £1670. They sleep 2 a room, have a lounge and kitchen area to relax in. Mortgage on the prop is 168k which is being paid off nicely. They even put in a new toilet and basin for me downstairs. I arranged for the materials to be delivered and they had it done in 2 days. They have since being in the house attended to all the maintenace and take pride in their rented accomodation.

The thing about east Europeans is that they want to work hard and want convenience, they don't want to be tied down. Most of what they earn is sent back home to support family and aid their bigger plans, and they like most enjoy having a few beers and a laugh with their mates. They earn between £40 and £100 per day depending the type of work. Great tenants and reliable.

:)

In my own experience of the effect immigrants have on the local economy is great, I have rented out my 3 bedroom 2 reception Victorian terrace in Leyton to a group of Polish builders who pay £60 each a week including bills. I had 6 of them in their before Christmas, but have now been joined by 2 more. I now receive £1920 a month in cash, and after deducting bills which include Council tax, Gas/Electric, Water, TV Licence and Broadband leaves me with £1670. They sleep 2 a room, have a lounge and kitchen area to relax in. Mortgage on the prop is 168k which is being paid off nicely. They even put in a new toilet and basin for me downstairs. I arranged for the materials to be delivered and they had it done in 2 days. They have since being in the house attended to all the maintenace and take pride in their rented accomodation.

The thing about east Europeans is that they want to work hard and want convenience, they don't want to be tied down. Most of what they earn is sent back home to support family and aid their bigger plans, and they like most enjoy having a few beers and a laugh with their mates. They earn between £40 and £100 per day depending the type of work. Great tenants and reliable.

:)

Do you have an HMO license?

Do you have an HMO license?

I hope for his sake he does as it's a criminal offence not to plus all the rent paid by the Poles could be clawed back from him!

DOes any body know how council tax works in a HiMO situation as it seem his 8 Poles are paying less than £250 per month between them on council tax.

I did have to resist the temptation to refer to it as "Pole Tax" :D