House Price Crash Forum
IP Newcomer

Would You Consider Btl After The Crash?

People who have been sold the idea of BTL as a pension

have effectively been missold a pension.

There is no guarantee of a decent return, particularly if you bought at

peak and on IO morgage.

Given the glut of investment properties around now, I would

not be using them for a pension. (Plus they require work input).

Shares aren't so great, I am actively looking for better alternatives to

both.

ABB

Guest wrongmove

No, got better things to do, and better places to invest my money than in property.

ditto the above so I didn't vote. I don't think btl is immoral :blink: but, in response to the pension angle, I also don't think that property can do well longterm if companies, and their shares, are doing badly, longterm. Shares are much less hassle, spread over many sectors and multinational.

It's a perfectly reasonable investment provided that you buy when it's undervalued and sell when it's overvalued. Likewise shares, bonds, currencies, metals or anything else. Buy low, sell high and reap the dividends / rent in the meantime.

But you DON'T buy at the top if your intention is making a profit. Wait until it's undervalued and put your money elsewhere in the meantime.

There's always a bull market somewhere, you just have to find where and in what and invest accordingly.

I didn't vote because no option really fits my view.

I have over the years sometimes vaguely considered it but basically I couldn't be @rsed with the potential hassle.

Just not me, don't really like dealing with people and their foibles.

Guest Bart of Darkness

No, got better things to do, and better places to invest my money than in property.

Agreed. I don't think BTL is immoral, just not for me.

i voted immoral.

its not right. there is no such thing as a free lunch.

the sooner its taxed/regulated out of existence the better in my view.

maybe not so much the pro landlords that do it full time,

but for certain the newbie 2nd home owner btlr needs culling down.

i voted immoral.

Just a question, but where do those who can't afford, or don't want, to buy live if there are no BTL's? A pro landlord is just a scaled up BTLer who actually knows what they're doing (as opposed to amateurs). Seems strange to want to stop rental accommodation or put it only in the hands of the already very wealthy (how does one become a pro landlord if not by starting small with one or two BTL's?).

Personally I think the market will sort it out and the best thing to do now is NOT regulate ANYTHING to do with housing unless there is an absolute need to do so (and then have as little government meddling as possible). It was government meddling which got us into this, so I doubt that more regulation will get us out.

I think demographics may make it an unfavorable investment in years to come. But I will be assessing that when/if value is restored.

Having said that, I like liquidity. And I wonder if there will ever be enough risk premium to overcome these two hurdles. (demographics/liquidity)

Yes I would.

However I think people should be restricted from buying more than one second home to let out, otherwise you end up in a situation like now where theres a big divide between the haves and the have-nots and its not a good situation for the country or society.

69% would......!!!!

I thought "most" of us were on here because we were angry with what the current BTL brigade have done to house price inflation.

I would certainly not BTL after the crash, homes are for living in not for making a profit out of, have you all forgotten what it feels like to be priced out of the market because of these "lovely" people. By saying you would BTL, would prevent the next generation of home buyers from getting on the ladder and put them in the same situtation that most of us are in now.

Edited by Patiently Waiting

It s a dog eat dog i m alright jack world. THERES NO ROOM FOR NICE PEOPLE. EAT OR BE EATEN!

Edited by trev

i voted immoral.

maybe not so much the pro landlords that do it full time,

but for certain the newbie 2nd home owner btlr needs culling down.

Me too. People need homes to live in. It shouldn't be possible to make above inflation profit on property in a civilised society. Being a landlord should be a tightly regulated profession with stringent responsibilities and regular independent inspection. All IMHO of course!

I voted "YES"...

Would like to buy 2 semis and then be able to chose my neighbours! After the crash, if I can afford a detached house I wouldn't contemplate BTL. I would never use BTL as an investment - there's less risky ways to make money.

I don't agree that BTL is immoral. But "greedy BTL" is. Being an irresponsible landlord is also immoral.

Being a good landlord is fine IMHO - I have had enough crappy ones in my life to know where to set my standards... ;)

A test to the morality is when the market corrects and overshoots and you want to buy a property will you be offering more than what it is worth, will you be offering what it would be on a long term average, or will you snap up the "bargain" and get on with your life. Will you under no circumstances buy the house for less that what the vendor paid for it... or is it only immoral when its YOU thats on the recieving end of the bad stuff.

Jack and Jill with thier 2.4 kids bought thier home in 2003 for £160K they didnt want to make money they just wanted to have a nice home to live out thier lives and bring up thier kids. In 2008 things all went pear shaped and they have to sell thier home. It is now valued at £90K.

You love the house its perfect for you and you can easily afford the £90K what you going to do, go on tell me your not going to buy it because its immoral. If you dont buy it then Joe bloggs will.

Its not immoral now is it when its in your favour, Jack and Jill will be questioning the morality of it all now, they will be wondering how are they going to make it, will you care? of course you will , you will care as much as most people care which is to say "oh thats a shame i feel sorry for you", then you will offer £85K because you know they are a distressed seller.

I understand where everyone is comming from when they say that BTL is immoral, but if you are average joe like myself (where £50,000 is a massive amount of money) and could go back 5 years would you not of got into BTL and made 50K,100K, 500K?

I would suggest that your morailty would be thrown out of the window and any reservations you have would be washed away with "i have to look after myself and my family".

I can understand that people are p*ssed off with the situation but to class BTL as immoral seems like misdirected anger.