House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
newaccount99

Has This Board Changed

I'm not saying it has, just trying to gauge opinion.......

When I first joined 18mths ago there where quite a few threads from people "leaving for good" because the board had changed and the values of some posters brought down into the gutter. I haven't seen any of these sorts of threads for sometime....but then again I took a few months off of posting last year.

Is it me or has there been a re-surrgence of envy/grudge/jealousness on this forum in comparison to previous times? Is there a re-surrgence for the need for scape-goats (Boomers, LL's, immigrants, STR's, Private/Public sector) to vent these frustrations?

For a group of people who largely feel "house prices are a bit high"....there appears to be plenty of contrarian views.

Note: Not saying i've been on any high ground here though think/hope i've largely reserved any bile for government which is all part of a healthy democracy. For example government policy of public sector recruitment rather than public service employees per se.

Is it me or has there been a re-surrgence of envy/grudge/jealousness on this forum in comparison to previous times? Is there a re-surrgence for the need for scape-goats (Boomers, LL's, immigrants, STR's, Private/Public sector) to vent these frustrations?

There are two or three posters on here who appear to display anger in the way you describe - I do not believe this tendency has increased since I first arrived.

For a group of people who largely feel "house prices are a bit high"....there appears to be plenty of contrarian views.

If you mean there are a lot of people posting that don't seem to think that house prices are high then, yes, I would agree that the number of bored estate agents on this site does seem to be increasing.

If you mean there are a lot of people posting that don't seem to think that house prices are high then, yes, I would agree that the number of bored estate agents on this site does seem to be increasing.

Well I meant for people who are supposed to have something in common, i'm often amazed how different the outlooks on other things/aspects can be can be.....But yes if it's been invaded by Estate agents then there could be an increased tendency to try and invoke heated debate if not distrubance.

i dont think the forum has changed much in the year ive been on here.

i think the situation is evolving and there have been a lot of trolls recently.

some of teh characters like monkey have gone, but there are now a good spectrum of thoughtful individuals.

we seem to be in transition phase when either:

- the crash wil start motoring

-the soft landing will splutter along

- the next bull phase kicks in

i think the forum will change markedley once the next phase is clearer.

this is likely to take 6-12 months.

the number of members and posts surely indicate that there is much that is worth while.

Well I meant for people who are supposed to have something in common, i'm often amazed how different the outlooks on other things/aspects can be can be.....But yes if it's been invaded by Estate agents then there could be an increased tendency to try and invoke heated debate if not distrubance.

Its changed greatly just in the last couple of months, sadly not for the good, but hopefully the new posting rules will help there.

I do think we have been the victims of a "campaign" recently {visions of secret memo being passed round all estate agents} to disrupt the site and damage its credibility, but I guess the VI's have got so much riding on it, why wouldn't they ?

I think the mods could go one stage further and ban from posting anyone who actively uses more than one log-in...

....Is it me or has there been a re-surrgence of envy/grudge/jealousness on this forum in comparison to previous times? Is there a re-surrgence for the need for scape-goats (Boomers, LL's, immigrants, STR's, Private/Public sector) to vent these frustrations? .....

Can't say I have noticed much of a difference.

NDL

Can't say I have noticed much of a difference.

NDL

I haven't either. I think the more you stick around here, the more you ignore "normal" threads, and the more you notice the annoying crap that surrounds it.

What has changed is the desire to suppress the annoying crap, which I think is a shame. It's easy to spot, and easy to ignore too.

As Wellington said "The time to worry is when soldiers STOP grumbling"

We're fine - just getting a bit fidgety as we stand shoulder to shoulder, muskets loaded, waiting to break the Highland Charge of the VIs.

We whinge about the weather, the officers, the food, but when the shooting starts, it's a thin red line of FTB infantry and STR cavalry facing the enemy.

As Sharpe said - "I know you can shoot 3 rounds a minute, but can you stand?"

For us it's "I know you've got a deposit. but can you wait for the correction?"

Well for all the debate on here - regardless of whether this forum has been visited or estate agents or aliens (which would you prefer?) - I have yet to read one coherent argument why or how property can go up in price in the forseeable future.

Plenty of wishful thinking, plenty of denial, but not one sensible reason.

Years ago people might have said ....

Property is relatively affordable

or

Property offers a good return as a BTL investment

Now, neither of these things is true. Property is so unaffordable FTBs are now 34 years old before they can scrape the wherewithal to buy a crummy flat - and then only with a mad multiple of their salary mortgage.

A BTL investment now is an act of faith - nothing more. With rents unable to cover mortgages it is a huge gamble on the direction of an over-priced market.