House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wouldliketobuy

Where Is All The Money Coming From?

How come all these kids in their early 20s can afford to buy?

http://www.hitched.co.uk/sbforum/topic.asp...331&whichpage=1

Do you think mummy and daddy are helping out with huge deposits?

Or they just bought over 5 years ago, my sister has her own 2 up 2 down that she bought for 52K just under 5 years ago now priced 120K she was on about 17K when she bought it i think shes on about 19K now. You do the math :)

When I collected names for electoral registration I'd occasionally came across 17 year old females who were the sole occupant of a house. I knew they were 17 years old because they'd have to put their 18th birthday on the form. When I asked for other members of the household I'd be told there weren't any. Of course, I couldn't ask about their circumstances so I don't know how they came to to sole occupants of a house. I suspect a housing association had bought numerous terrace houses and were housing them as single parents.

How come all these kids in their early 20s can afford to buy?

http://www.hitched.co.uk/sbforum/topic.asp...331&whichpage=1

Do you think mummy and daddy are helping out with huge deposits?

Yes to the mum and dad bit I think. It's very common for parents to invest in a house/flat and stick their kids in them (e.g. at University) rather than go through the hassle of letting. Plus, surely, if you only think in terms of monthly outgoings re. mortgage and you believe in HPI and you Lie-to -buy and you are Interest ONly then I suppose it's always possible to pry a mortgage out of those hard-to-get banks!

Anecdotal, but I reckon a sizable proportion of it is inherited cash from the sale of houses as mortgage-free parents pop their clogs. Only the cash from one house is down payment to buy several investment properties with big mortgages.