House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

classixuk

Can Anyone Help Fix My Plumbing?

Before I even begin, I'll start by saying Right Freds Dead, whatever dirty little reply you've thought of and are about to type, make sure it's about showers :D

Right, hopefully someone can help me out here. It's my electric shower (and the 2 previous to that).

I've lived in this house 7 years and am yet to have a decent shower in the morning. It's gotten to the stage now where if I'm not leaving the house that day, I don't even get washed :wacko:

The problem (or symptoms): It's more like a trickle than a shower, if my cleaner turns the diswasher on whilst I'm showering I get "instant sunburn effect" skin and here's the really annoying part. In Winter my shower is luke warm unless I turn the dial all the way to the hottest setting in which case it get's boiling and in Summer it is boiling hot (even on the coldest setting). Around about March and around about September I get 2 weeks where the water is just nice. I've had the same problem with all 3 electric showers that I've had.

My partner has always blamed it on the poor water pressure in the house (we live at the same elevation as the reservoir) but when I asked my neighbours and other locals about their showers (yes it really is that bad) none of them have had the same problem. I reckon my partner is giving me some VI spin (his VI is not spending money) and I've come here to get the truth.

Our house is a normal 3 bed semi with a cold water tank in the loft and one of those big copper boilers in the bedroom cupboard. We do have dismal water pressure and the electric shower is currently fed by the cold tank in the loft I believe. So what are my options and how much do you think it will cost me in parts and labour (cubicle etc is already in obviously)? I just want to be able to get up in the morning, jump in a shower that squirts water at me rather than trickle it down my left cheek like a tear, at a constant temperature and not have to worry about what season it is to do so.

Some of you are probably wondering why I don't just have a bath? My partner ripped that out when he fitted the first shower! :angry:

What do I need and how much do you reckon it will cost to buy and then fit?

Cheers everyone!

Before I even begin, I'll start by saying Right Freds Dead, whatever dirty little reply you've thought of and are about to type, make sure it's about showers :D

Right, hopefully someone can help me out here. It's my electric shower (and the 2 previous to that).

I've lived in this house 7 years and am yet to have a decent shower in the morning. It's gotten to the stage now where if I'm not leaving the house that day, I don't even get washed :wacko:

The problem (or symptoms): It's more like a trickle than a shower, if my cleaner turns the diswasher on whilst I'm showering I get "instant sunburn effect" skin and here's the really annoying part. In Winter my shower is luke warm unless I turn the dial all the way to the hottest setting in which case it get's boiling and in Summer it is boiling hot (even on the coldest setting). Around about March and around about September I get 2 weeks where the water is just nice. I've had the same problem with all 3 electric showers that I've had.

My partner has always blamed it on the poor water pressure in the house (we live at the same elevation as the reservoir) but when I asked my neighbours and other locals about their showers (yes it really is that bad) none of them have had the same problem. I reckon my partner is giving me some VI spin (his VI is not spending money) and I've come here to get the truth.

Our house is a normal 3 bed semi with a cold water tank in the loft and one of those big copper boilers in the bedroom cupboard. We do have dismal water pressure and the electric shower is currently fed by the cold tank in the loft I believe. So what are my options and how much do you think it will cost me in parts and labour (cubicle etc is already in obviously)? I just want to be able to get up in the morning, jump in a shower that squirts water at me rather than trickle it down my left cheek like a tear, at a constant temperature and not have to worry about what season it is to do so.

Some of you are probably wondering why I don't just have a bath? My partner ripped that out when he fitted the first shower! :angry:

Cheers everyone!

sent you a PM.

Dear Classixuk.

An electric shower should be connected to the mains water supply, that is on the same pipe system that should supply the cold water in the kitchen sink (Not from the output of the supply tank in the loft ) This pressure should be constantly high only governed by your main stopcock or any in between. The person who fitted your shower should have connected to the main system with a means to stop the flow of water between the supply and the shower. This could be like the traditional capstan tap or a modern in-line device that has a screw slot to turn to adjust.

Water temperature’s do change during the seasons as with the sea, the ambient temperature of water in pipes raises in summer so the element in he shower does not have to work so hard to raise the water temperature from scratch. That’s why we moan in the summer about our showers and causes us to say something in line of ‘It f----ing hot when you don’t want it to be’

I have to confess at this point I’m not a plumber, but an electrician. If the person who installed the shower and has left it in the state you describe then it would be wise to get it checked electrically as well. You may have a standing-up nude electric chair on your hands there. Check for supplementary bonding on all piping, green and yellow earthing cables with warning notices in the bathroom. Equipotential bonding at your service supply intake same thing earth cable and labels at gas meter and water pipe.

This is one of the reasons Part P regs requires notification and testing on areas of installation because certain test equipment and knowledge is required beyond the scope of the ordinary DIYer.

Do please check this out.

There is an electrician’s site that is the singing pig of the industry called DIYnot.com that help with these sorts of problems. You can try it if you don’t mind the risk of having them taking the p--- They’ve even done it to me and I’m formally trained..

I know I’ve not solved your problem as such, or I may introduced issues you may have and were not aware of but I hope this helps.

Best Regards

Foxy

Cheers Charlie. I've just done that! Thanks.

Slater, I didn't get your PM :( Did you get mine?

Where's my Foxhole...I'm presuming that the shower is fitted to a feed from the tank in the loft but I could be wrong. It may well be fitted to the mains seeing as the water pressure drops and I get burned eachtime the washing machine or dishwasher is switched on downstairs. I'll check with my partner and let you know.

Thanks for your help peeps!

:)

Cheers Charlie. I've just done that! Thanks.

Slater, I didn't get your PM :( Did you get mine?

Where's my Foxhole...I'm presuming that the shower is fitted to a feed from the tank in the loft but I could be wrong. It may well be fitted to the mains seeing as the water pressure drops and I get burned eachtime the washing machine or dishwasher is switched on downstairs. I'll check with my partner and let you know.

Thanks for your help peeps!

:)

Hi classixuk,

Sorry about that. I emailed you, not PM'ed you!

BTW - i got your PM thanks.

Dear Classixuk

I’ve just checked my own shower, which has been fairly recently installed by both professional plumber and electrician. I have a reliable water main supply and it behaves much the same as yours perhaps to a lesser `degree’ in both senses of the word.

My wife tells me she steps back from jet when she hears me go into the kitchen to use sink, so .. so much for my advice!!!

If yours is connected to the wrong feed then you would have a vast improvement, but as I say please check that you are protected electrically from exposed and extraneous conductive parts from direct and indirect contact in the bathroom. Reading the topics on DIYnot.com will help you with the jargon if you are interested.

Regards

Foxy

Hi,

Charlie has summoned me to the thread,

Sounds as if the shower(s) have been plumbed correctly to the mains and when the water base temp incoming is moderate (March and September) the unit(s) have been capable of maitaining tempreture.

You have two different problems,

1) THE INCOMING PRESSURE INTO THE HOUSE IS NOT ENOUGH TO SUPPLY TWO MAINS FED UNITS SIMULTNEOUSLY.(ie the dishwasher and the electric shower).

2) ELECTRIC SHOWER IS NOT UTILISING IN BUILT TEMPRETURE STABILISING VALVE TO MAINTAIN TEMPRETURE.

Have all three showers been the same make and model most importantly the same KW rating?

What make and model is the current one?

also regarding the electric cabling,

Is the shower on a proper ring?

Or is it just spurred off?

If it is on a proper ring what is the loading capacity in AMPS.

How long is the cable run?

How wide is the cable? 6MM for short runs and 10MM for long runs.

We'll pick it up from your answers.

Thanks

PS I am not an electrician or a plumber but I own a Bathroom showroom in North London and I have sold practically ever make and model of electric shower over the years. I have also spent so much time trying to act as an intermediary between Manufacturer, end user and installer that I have unwittingly picked up a fair amount of knowledge in these areas.

Cheers everyone!

Hi there

Your dishwasher will be connected to the mains so if when it`s turned on it affects the shower then your shower is also connected to the mains.

Electric ( Power ) showers are designed to be connected to mains water.

A few weeks ago I fitted an electric shower for a friend. it was just a straight swap ie a little bit of plumbing and then reconnected the electrical supply. The shower was rated at 8.5 kw and when I tested it the performance was poor compared to my own gravity fed shower. This was a brand new shower.

Obviously with an electric shower turning up the temp. will reduce the flow, so if you do have water pressure issues you will have probs.

Ask your neighbours if they are using power showers or gravity fed showers. I personally prefer gravity fed showers. The flow then depends on the height of the header tank relative to the shower rose. And they pretty much always work unless someone turns the gravity off.

Differences are that gravity fed uses stored hot and cold water fed to the shower valve by two pipes. But at least you do away with the electrical supply.

The flow can be maximised by building a table in the loft to raise the height of the cold water supply tank.

This can cost a fair amount of money but bear in mind I did mine about 12 years ago and it`s worked fine ever since.

If you regularly have stored hot water available it`s worth thinking about.

Not much help I know :( but we try

If you`ve any questions about the above don`t hesitate :)

Limpet

No help here other than to second the DIYnot recommendation- they helped my fix my leaky bath....then absolutely ripped the p*** out of me :D.

I have to shower sitting down because I only have one of those crappy shower things that connect to the hot and cold taps in the bath, and the top of the hot water tank in my single floor flat is only about 7' off the ground. Still, at least the hot water is working properly now. For the first two years we lived here it never refilled itself- I had to fill the tank by using the shower hose to pump water from the cold tap back up the hot tap. Very irritating if it happened in the middle of a shower.

I finally got fed up with it enough to investigate- and it turned out that the cutoff valve had filled up with limescale. A quick tweak to free it off and it worked fine again. My wife was NOT pleased that it had taken me two years to effect a 20 minute investigation and repair :ph34r::ph34r: . If anyone's wondering why I didn't get the landlord to fix it- he said call a plumber and send me the bill, and I never really had the spare cash (and didn't quite trust him to pay up quickly :unsure: ).

Hi

I'd take on board some of the advice already given.

Check that the cable can carry the amps you require for an electric shower (45A I think)

Ensure that the supply is from mains pressure

Use a 10.5Kw electric shower unit if you have the cable to suit

Have a pump fitted ( I think you can with an electric shower running off of mains pressure)

Don't quote me on any of this but it could help if you discuss some of these points with a QUALIFIED plumber and not a handyman. Maybe an electritian could help!

In the first part electric showers are pants!!!.

The dilema is this, they have to heat the water as fast as it comes out, therefore the faster the water comes out, the colder it will be as the elements cannot catch up.

So in the first instance you must buy the highest wattage shower you can get, cheap is not an option.

Secondly, and extremely common is that if you live in a hard water area, that is water is contaminated with Lime as on the South Coast then the shower element will furr up in a very short period of time.

The hotter the water gets inside the element, the quicker it furrs up.

The solution is to make sure you put some type of descaler on the water mains as it comes up into the house just above the stopcock.

I had a property that I let to students with an electric shower, and I had to change it every four months as it just got blocked up with limescale due to high usage. Eventually I gave up after 7 shower changes and put in what to me is now the only real shower.

Connected to the low pressure water tank, and pumped to a thermostatic mixer. You will find this system is the only real system whereby you can blast your body with water and get that beaten up effect each and every morning. Pay the extra for some body jets and you will be suprised at the enjoyment you can get from a well placed jet of red hot water blasting into various parts of the body first thing in the morning.

If you want cheap pumps, and cheap showers then take a look at ebay shops.