House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Buffer Bear

Refusing Child Tax Credit

I just don't want it but they won't let me refuse payment.

I received notification that my CTC claim was to be terminated as I had not furnished the muppets with our joint income details, even though I had. I rang them to say this was fine by me as they had been the bane of my life since this credit was introduced. (read: Always miscalculating our claim resulting in overpayments and then refusing to stop payments unless I put the details in writing, which always messed up my money management :o ). I can't tell you how many times I have ended up having money deducted from the next year's claim due to their incompetence or just sending a personal cheque back to avoid problems.

Anyway, back to the point I was making. On looking at my claim, the muppet told me triumphantly that my claim had been terminated in error but a new claim had been generated. I informed her that the details I received were incorrect again (they were offering me £800 when it is clear that the maximum I can receive is £540 unless they have underpaid me, which is possible because I have simply lost track of these payments) and asked for clarification of the new figure. However, she was unable to tell me what my new payment would be as it "had not been calculated." I spent 3 minutes at least, explaining that I wanted to opt out of this scheme due to the hassle it caused, all for 540 p.a (I really don't mean to sound ungrateful but it is doing my head in). Do you know what her response was??? "I am sorry Mrs (I am Ms actually, a married one at that...................I await the obvious anti feminist responses :) ) but I am afraid you can't do that!" "Why?" I asked. "I don't want this money." She responded in the same vein and then continued to say that "once you are in the system.........". I was becoming quite frustrated and loudly stated "well, I don't want to be in the system and it is about time individuals took a stand against such bureaucratic nonsense" She really was like an automaton. I then went onto say that as an adviser (read F$%*ing Muppet) even she should understand that her CTC mantra was ludicrous. It didn't work!!

I then expressed that I wanted my call to be logged as a complaint as it was my right to opt out of this system if I wished to and I would simply return the the monies on each occasion (it is paid directly into MY bank account) until the matter was resolved. Muppets response was "you will have to put that in writing." FUSE BURNING RAPIDLY AND NEAR TO THE END. :angry: I refused to do this and said I wanted it actioned and before I go I should notify her that I had received a pay rise. Amazingly, FM expressed that she was able to deal with this automatically over the 'phone and simply update the computer (Wow). After giving her my new salary details, she said "oh, you are above the threshold and are no longer entitled to any benefits :unsure:

I screamed YIPPEE and slammed down the receiver :lol::rolleyes:

However, I spoke to a friend this week who works part time. She has calulated that her income is bumped up by up by around 12k p.a. to 20-22k :ph34r: by CTC (including payment of 70% of p/t nursery fees which is about 550 p.m), WTC and HB. :o . Can this be correct??????? :blink:

I want 'my' £540 back!!!!!!

Edited by Buffer Bear

I just don't want it but they won't let me refuse payment.

I received notification that my CTC claim was to be terminated as I had not furnished the muppets with our joint income details, even though I had. I rang them to say this was fine by me as they had been the bane of my life since this credit was introduced. (read: Always miscalculating our claim resulting in overpayments and then refusing to stop payments unless I put the details in writing, which always messed up my money management :o ). I can't tell you how many times I have ended up having money deducted from the next year's claim due to their incompetence or just sending a personal cheque back to avoid problems.

Anyway, back to the point I was making. On looking at my claim, the muppet told me triumphantly that my claim had been terminated in error but a new claim had been generated. I informed her that the details I received were incorrect again (they were offering me £800 when it is clear that the maximum I can receive is £540 unless they have underpaid me, which is possible because I have simply lost track of these payments) and asked for clarification of the new figure. However, she was unable to tell me what my new payment would be as it "had not been calculated." I spent 3 minutes at least, explaining that I wanted to opt out of this scheme due to the hassle it caused, all for 540 p.a (I really don't mean to sound ungrateful but it is doing my head in). Do you know what her response was??? "I am sorry Mrs (I am Ms actually, a married one at that...................I await the obvious anti feminist responses :) ) but I am afraid you can't do that!" "Why?" I asked. "I don't want this money." She responded in the same vein and then continued to say that "once you are in the system.........". I was becoming quite frustrated and loudly stated "well, I don't want to be in the system and it is about time individuals took a stand against such bureaucratic nonsense" She really was like an automaton. I then went onto say that as an adviser (read F$%*ing Muppet) even she should understand that her CTC mantra was ludicrous. It didn't work!!

I then expressed that I wanted my call to be logged as a complaint as it was my right to opt out of this system if I wished to and I would simply return the the monies on each occasion (it is paid directly into MY bank account) until the matter was resolved. Muppets response was "you will have to put that in writing." FUSE BURNING RAPIDLY AND NEAR TO THE END. :angry: I refused to do this and said I wanted it actioned and before I go I should notify her that I had received a pay rise. Amazingly, FM expressed that she was able to deal with this automatically over the 'phone and simply update the computer (Wow). After giving her my new salary details, she said "oh, you are above the threshold and are no longer entitled to any benefits :unsure:

I screamed YIPPEE and slammed down the receiver :lol::rolleyes:

However, I spoke to a friend this week who works part time. She has calulated that her income is bumped up by up by around 12k p.a. to 20-22k :ph34r: by CTC (including payment of 70% of p/t nursery fees which is about 550 p.m), WTC and HB. :o . Can this be correct??????? :blink:

I want 'my' £540 back!!!!!!

The biggest incomes from tax credit seem to refer to child care so when you hear these adverts about people getting loads from tax credits a lot of it is childcare.

As far as I am aware you do not get HB when getting tax credits. HB is a means tested benefit and takes into account all your income regardless of where it comes from and I think she should check this out because they are b@stards with claiming back over payments.