HOLA441
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/mortgages/hou...5&in_page_id=57

Tax at record levels. Private debt at record levels. House prices at record levels. Is that the cause of Wimpey's woes? Apparantly not. It seems HPC are to blame.

Who are the doom merchants that the VI's continue to site?

Apart from one Daily Mail article I cannot think of any major media player putting out a negative message on property.

Wimpey know it's all about sentiment it's obviously difficult for them with almost complete media backing that this cannot be controlled.

HOLA443

Tax at record levels. Private debt at record levels. House prices at record levels. Is that the cause of Wimpey's woes? Apparantly not. It seems HPC are to blame.

So peoples' inability to pay and the disappearance of the FTB'er is no longer a factor... everything is simply down to spin? Erm, even the most well spun market will hit the brick wall of fundermentals eventually.

HOLA444

Tax is well below the record levels achieved under the tax-and-spend Thatcher government (according to the Adam Smith Institute's "Tax Freedom Day" calculations).

Edited by zorn

HOLA445

Tax is well below the record levels achieved under the tax-and-spend Thatcher government (according to the Adam Smith Institute's "Tax Freedom Day" calculations).

Umm, nothing to do with sweeping up the mess after Labour of the 70's? It peaked in 1982. Nothing to do with tax and spend - it was tax to pay the bill that was left on the doormat.

Year Tax freedom day Year Tax freedom day

1963 24 April 1984 11 June

1964 23 April 1985 11 June

1965 27 April 1986 7 June

1966 2 May 1987 4 June

1967 11 May 1988 4 June

1968 17 May 1989 2 June

1969 22 May 1990 1 June

1970 26 May 1991 2 June

1971 20 May 1992 28 May

1972 13 May 1993 21 May

1973 12 May 1994 22 May

1974 28 May 1995 26 May

1975 2 June 1996 24 May

1976 30 May 1997 25 May

1977 28 May 1998 28 May

1978 23 May 1999 3 June

1979 25 May 2000 3 June

1980 5 June 2001 4 June

1981 14 June 2002 26 May

1982 15 June 2003 25 May

1983 12 June 2004 27 May

2005 31 May

HOLA446

Umm, nothing to do with sweeping up the mess after Labour of the 70's? It peaked in 1982. Nothing to do with tax and spend - it was tax to pay the bill that was left on the doormat.

It was still higher than it is now in 1990, when Thatcher had been in power for eleven years. How long does it take to clean up the mess from a previous government that was only in power for five years?

HOLA447
HOLA448

I'm one. I was going on down the pub last night how we're all doomed. DOOMED I say. I could have been overheard.

:D:D:D

It would seem we have more power than we thought.

I'm going to double my efforts making outlandish bear comments on house prices to bring the market to it's knee's. They will regret the day they priced bandylegs out…

HOLA449

Forget Adam Smith, just open the window. Gordon Brown's policy of stealth tax has created record taxation. Added to this, the quality and scope of public services has collapsed:

Toll roads are springing up

Many parents find themselves having to serve as unpaid class helpers

Class sizes are rising every year

Free dental treatment has virtually dissapeared

Many types of operation have been made chargeable

Prescription charges are at record levels

Hospital car parks can charge as much as £5 a visit

Hospital telephone charges are a scam

Rail fare susidies have shrunk

Police stations are closing all over the country

It takes up to three days for the police to turn up

Hospitals are closing beds

The list goes on. For me it is not an idealogical issue. It is just a fact of life that public servants generally lack the skill or motivation to spend public funds wisely. Unfortunately Gordon Brown thinks he knows best and through his incompetance he has lost us 1 million manufacturing jobs and pushed public spending is out of control.

HOLA4410

I'm not allowed to start a new topic so have put this post here in the hope that if any of the "elite" posters who are allowed to to start new topics think it might be of general interest then they can place it somewhere more visible.

Basically I wanted to tell you that I've recently been gazumped...I know I can't believe it and its really a kick in the nuts. The story is that in October this year a house came up for sale that I'd always said to the missus we wouild buy if we could (its just one of those place that you really can picture yourself in you know?). Anyway we knew it had originally been up for sale earlier in the year (in February) for £370k and not sold, so we were amazed when it came back on the marekt in October for 380k. This is in the South East, so I didn't think prices had gone up AT ALL. Anyway, big negotiation ensued, and eventually we agreed on a price of £350. Still seemed a lot but, aas I said, we had our hear set on it. Would you believe that over £1000 in survey costs later we get a call from the estate agent informing me the deal is off because someone has paid the full asking price (380)!!!

Anyway, apart from my dissapointment, frustration and anger at lost money, its occured to me to put this story to you guys (I've been a fan of the site for ages) to see if anyone can give me any comfort as to what this means. Does it mean the property market is really undergoing a resurgence...thats too depressing to think about, was I just the victim of a nutter with 380K, and was I stupid to try and buy in the first place (I currently rent).

I have to say this shakes my faith in a crash coming, but I still want ot believe!

Thanks for letting me vent.

HOLA4411

:D:D:D

It would seem we have more power than we thought.

I'm going to double my efforts making outlandish bear comments on house prices to bring the market to it's knee's. They will regret the day they priced bandylegs out…

You know that saying we all know someone six persons removed that everyone else know - or whatever it is.

I think there are enough bears on this site putting about the point that house prices are too high and must drop to start influencing public opinion As Apom or whoever it was said, talking power amongst peers is as good a means of changing sentimentality as VI spin.

Everyone should make sure they mention to another person at least once a day that house prices are too high and they will have to come down. I simply ask the question "what can you afford and would you want to live in it?"

HOLA4412

It was still higher than it is now in 1990, when Thatcher had been in power for eleven years. How long does it take to clean up the mess from a previous government that was only in power for five years?

Can't disagree with you there - that was when the Tory's trashed the economy by allowing a housing boom to destroy profitabilty and competitiveness and drive the economy once again into an insolvent mess.

Mind you does the current Tax Freedeom Day really reflect the whole swathe of stealth taxes , don't think so for one minute and have the tax consequences of the current incumbents washed through the system yet, don;t think so on that account either. Economists are still coming to grips with the potenital future costs of PFI etc and those bills will have to be paid at some time.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The tories destroyed the economy by igniting a house price boom and so

have new labour. Now your home is your pension and income. You folks

would have learnt by now ?

But what you have to remember the natives in the UK are stupid. Greed is

good for the short term.

Lets get ready for a big bust.

HOLA4417

I'm not allowed to start a new topic so have put this post here in the hope that if any of the "elite" posters who are allowed to to start new topics think it might be of general interest then they can place it somewhere more visible.

Pah, bloody newbies cluttering the boards. Might I suggest a full initiation test to blood the new breed? Perhaps involving a stealth raid on an Estate Agent.

Seriously Sealaw why not PM a mod with your thread idea, or one of the other 'special' members.

I like your idea cleaners but I'm afraid you flatter me if you think I'm influential. My views on the house market are now banned from all social events I attend. This is after several previous rants!

I quite happily tell my best freinds that they know absolutely nothing at all about economics after a few drinks, and I only drink to improve my social skills...

Edited by bandylegs

HOLA4418

Pah, bloody newbies cluttering the boards. Might I suggest a full initiation test to blood the new breed? Perhaps involving a stealth raid on an Estate Agent.

Seriously Sealaw why not PM a mod with your thread idea, or one of the other 'special' members.

I like your idea cleaners but I'm afraid you flatter me if you think I'm influential. My views on the house market are now banned from all social events I attend. This is after several previous rants!

Haven't got a clue what you're on about (are you insulting me or being welcoming?). Just trying to circulate a story that I thought might be of interest.

HOLA4419

Haven't got a clue what you're on about (are you insulting me or being welcoming?). Just trying to circulate a story that I thought might be of interest.

Quit dumming down the boards Sealaw. ;)

Sorry buddy. Honestly in my own way I was being welcoming and attempting humour. My suggestion was for you to ask somebody else to start your thread which I see Paradox has already done for you. PM = personal mail.

Edited by bandylegs

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Just wait and see the effect on the economy if in the unlikely effect that this site does achieve it's aims and destroy the economy. You think things are bad now - you aint seen nothin yet.

HOLA4422

I quite happily tell my best freinds that they know absolutely nothing at all about economics after a few drinks, and I only drink to improve my social skills...

funnypost.gif

Here you go a little rant gif, on a forum I'm a long standing member of, they named it after me because of my Anti American Blood for Oil stance rant.gif

Just wait and see the effect on the economy if in the unlikely effect that this site does achieve it's aims and destroy the economy. You think things are bad now - you aint seen nothin yet.

Why are your comments always in direct conflict with your forum name :D

Skimming the froth off this over extended housing bubble will not effect to a great extent the majority of home owners. Only those who have entered the market with little or no deposit in recent years, or over extended their indebtedness by MEW'ing. The fact housing is so costly is why the economy is now suffering, but there is a wall of money and pent up demand wanting to enter the housing market in the form of priced out FTB'ers. Reducing house prices will accommadate these potential buyers, then the carpets, fridge freezers, and plasmas will start leaving the shops. After all shopping is basically the main part of our economy, barring Arms Manufacturing, Oil and the City.

Your solution nodoubt is ever increasing living costs through endless house price inflation, because you mostl likely want to sit on your "non worked for" on paper appreciation of property wealth. There again you could be just up to your eyeballs in debt bankrolled on those very paper property values.

Edited by Catch22

HOLA4423

funnypost.gif

Here you go a little rant gif, on a forum I'm a long standing member of, they named it after me because of my Anti American Blood for Oil stance rant.gif

Select the image ... Ctrl-C ... go to notepad ... Ctrl-V ... save as personal/rant.txt for future use

That one's too good not to steal :D .

HOLA4424

funnypost.gif

Why are your comments always in direct conflict with your forum name :D

Skimming the froth off this over extended housing bubble will not effect to a great extent the majority of home owners. Only those who have entered the market with little or no deposit in recent years, or over extended their indebtedness by MEW'ing. The fact housing is so costly is why the economy is now suffering. There is a wall of money and pent up demand wanting to enter the housing market in the form of priced out FTB'ers. Reducing house prices will accommadate these potential buyers, then the carpets, fridge freezers, and plasmas will start leaving the shops. After all shopping is basically the main part of our economy, barring Arms Manifacturing, Oil and the City.

HP's are probably 20-25% overvalued. Causing a crash of the magnitude of 50-60% which I percieve to be the main aim of this site would not do anything at all for the majority of FTB's. The economy would crash on a scale never seen before, most of you would lose your job, investors with cash be they UK based or foreign would flood into the UK housing market buying up cheap properties as investing cash in the stock market or banks would be a waste of time due to zero interest rates and crashing equity values.The only thing that would remain static is that demand for housing would stay high as builders would stop building. A slow correction in the market is your only hope.

HOLA4425

I love the way you blame the possibility of a coming recession on this website.

All this website has ever done, is warn of what is now happening against the tide of a Media prostituting it's self by being in bed with the VI's.

So the country is up to it's eyeballs in debt, not because of lax lending by the banks flooding the market with easy money which in turn drove prices up. And all done while Grasping Gordon raked in the extra tax take knowing full well there would be a price to pay, if he didn't then he is not fit to be chancellor as we can now see.

But oh no it's non of that, it was HPC.CO.UK that done it.......... DOH

Edited by Catch22