House Price Crash Forum
underpressuretobuy

Lib Dems To Have Leadership Election

Sky News Report

BBC News report

Charles Kennedy has admitted to a drink problem and has called a leadership election, he will restand.

Mark Oaten and Lembit Opik have stated that they will not stand.

There are expectations that Ed Davey will try for the leadership which could see the Liberal Democrats swing towards more right wing policies if he won.

The Liberal Democrat Leadership elections are based on one member, one vote.

Lib Dems are likely to be furious about the timing of this announcement which occurs in the run up to Local Elections in May 2006, in which elections the Liberal Democrats expected to do well.

A leadership contest is estimated to take around two months to organise and carry out.

I'm sure David Cameron will be weeping over this terrible news :angry:

Yes nice spot, on the same page as you there, strange how the Tories are seemingly clawing back some points in the polls and attempts are now made to smash CKs credibility :angry: Lib dem points/votes lost, Cons gain <_<

I don't know much about politics so can't see what game is being played. Can anyone explain in laymans terms what is being gained and by whom?

Camerons being saying to Lib dems, come join me.

This is just another point to him, as he will now turn around and say "you're in disarray. told you so"

My guess is the instigtor will end up being the next leader,

so we will haveto wait and see.

The Libs are a bit scandal averse, they outed Jermey Thorpe

for being outed.

IIRC there were dead dogs involved - not very pretty.

Heavy drinkers in the PM slot are nothing ew, Winston Chrchill

was barely sober for most of WWII. Didn't seem to do us or him

any harm

ABB

Edited by AgeingBabyBoomer

Joking aside, the guy deserves some respect

for at least speaking against Iraq, and for generally

doing a better job of opposition than the opposition.

Shame the electoral system didn't give enough seats to

make a real difference.

ABB

Joking aside, the guy deserves some respect

for at least speaking against Iraq, and for generally

doing a better job of opposition than the opposition.

Shame the electoral system didn't give enough seats to

make a real difference.

ABB

Totally agree, he was hounded over his opposition v Iraq. IDS just went along with it as though school bully had told him that`s the way it is. Irrespecitve of his problems he`s fronted/been a more credible opposition than the Tories. Sad to see him so humiliated :(

Edited by Converted Lurker

The Libs are a bit scandal averse, they outed Jermey Thorpe for being outed. [ABB]

Not the same party.

The true Liberal Party still exists:

http://www.liberal.org.uk/

The Liberal Party exists to build a Liberal Society in which every citizen shall possess liberty, property and security and none shall be enslaved by poverty, ignorance or conformity. Its chief care is for the rights and opportunities of the individual, and in all spheres it sets freedom first.

IIRC there were dead dogs involved - not very pretty.

For an account of Rinkagate and Jeremy Thorpe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Thorpe

Heavy drinkers in the PM slot are nothing ew, Winston Chrchill was barely sober for most of WWII. Didn't seem to do us or him any harm [ABB]

Lady Astor: "Mr. Churchill, you're drunk!"

Churchill: "Yes, and you, Madam, are ugly. But tomorrow, I shall be sober."

Thanks that makes sense.

Do the lib dems gain anything by calling a leadership election?

Is it just a way to push out Kennedy or get public interest or something?

The Lib Dems, as a party, gain nothing by calling a leadership election.

This issue has been forced by a handful of MPs who apparently have either:

1. Panicked about David Cameron taking the leadership of the Conservative Party

2. Panicked about the intake of good new, younger Lib Dem MPs in the last general election all of whom may be in a position to take the leadership of the party away from the Lib Dem old guard if Charlie remains leader for long enough, by which time the old guard will literally be too old.

Vince Cable and Menzies Campbell started this, both wanted to be leader and I think both have delusions that they are either about to become leader or will be able to control the party through a puppet leader. There is no way they will become leader - this answers the poster who said the instigator will take over - they are both considered by the membership to be too old and I know a lot of members will be furious that this has been forced on the party at such a crucial time - in the run up to May elections.

The Lib Dems, as a party, gain nothing by calling a leadership election.

This issue has been forced by a handful of MPs who apparently have either:

1. Panicked about David Cameron taking the leadership of the Conservative Party

2. Panicked about the intake of good new, younger Lib Dem MPs in the last general election all of whom may be in a position to take the leadership of the party away from the Lib Dem old guard if Charlie remains leader for long enough, by which time the old guard will literally be too old.

Vince Cable and Menzies Campbell started this, both wanted to be leader and I think both have delusions that they are either about to become leader or will be able to control the party through a puppet leader. There is no way they will become leader - this answers the poster who said the instigator will take over - they are both considered by the membership to be too old and I know a lot of members will be furious that this has been forced on the party at such a crucial time - in the run up to May elections.

I got the impression that the media were about to leak all this and CK got in first - can't recall were I heard this though so maybe I am wrong.

Given the rumours and the pressure he's under from his peers, coming clean was a smart move......

as he no longer had anything to lose...........even if he thought there were no risk of anyone blabbing.