House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Moderators

Software Problem On The Forum

There is a software problem where those who are in the Members Group are finding they can only post to existing threads and not start their own. We are hoping this will be sorted out as quickly as possible.

At present we can only correct each member in this group individually and manually.

In the meantime if you wish to start a thread PM Charlie but be little patient and he will correct this for your account.

There is a software problem where those who are in the Members Group are finding they can only post to existing threads and not start their own.

I thought you had to be a VIP member to do that?

EDIT: I just noticed the signature:

PUBLIC QUESTIONING OF MODERATORS DECISIONS

Whilst we try to be as open as possible in the moderation of the forums, the moderators do not have the time to enter into public debate over the rights and wrongs of every moderating decision. Any posts questioning a moderators decision, or the forum rules, will be deleted.

Autocratic and totally out of order IMO

Edited by Mr Blek

Might this be a result of fiddling around with the system to restrict new posts.

This discussion board is fantastic and the moderators deserve praise and respect.

The board will have to be robust enough to cope with its success.

Are there any alternatives to the banning of new posts from non members?? Could the task of moderating be shared round a little to relieve the pressure.

Guest consa

Might this be a result of fiddling around with the system to restrict new posts.

This discussion board is fantastic and the moderators deserve praise and respect.

The board will have to be robust enough to cope with its success.

Are there any alternatives to the banning of new posts from non members?? Could the task of moderating be shared round a little to relieve the pressure.

This is a bug with the forum, it needs upgrading, moderators should speak to The Webmaster and stop fannying around :lol:

The bugs are fixed with an upgrade

Edited by consa

This is clearly a Troll posting.

Interesting that The Moderators only joined in Nov. and has only posted 10 times.

Can't be as i don't think you're allowed to change your group

Edited by Mr Blek

Have just returned to work and found this new policy on my favorite forum! Nice New Year present cheers!!

Sorry but this is an absolute joke and probably spells the end for this site and certainly the end of its credibility.

I've put up with many trolls and odd posts and have been here since the site first started when the old board was active. Over that time I've seen a few odd decisions but this is the worst yet About a year ago I was banned for a time as my Proxy's IP match another posters and the Mods therefore thought we were both trolls! If the Mods here were professionals in IT then that banning would never have been made (duplicate proxys are common) and neither would this ridiculous decision.

I have run many, many commercial sites, and guys, this is a bad BAD decision. Think what you're going to do:

1. Alienate all poster who are not yet VIPs

2. Instill a sense of 'the Mod favorites who tow the site HPC line' and of deliberate censorship by omission.

3. Kill new membership as no new member can now post a topic to ask a question

4. Kill fresh discussion as only those who have achieved VIP status may post new topics so only their views will start a discussion.

5. reduce news and feedback as only a fraction of the membership can post.

6. Present a sense to the world at lare that 'Only acceptable views can be aired here' so allowing the site to be opened up to attacks that it enforces a bias.

People will accept trolls and no one blames a site for having them. No one accepts censorship in any form especially the media. I can almost see the next discussion on a radio talk show:

Interviewer: 'we have Mr. R from www.hpc.co.uk here with us today....'

Mr. R: 'yes, well we believe that an HPC is enevitable. There's a lot of posters on our site who share these views..'

Interviewer: 'but Mr. R of course they share your views, you won't allow disussions to be started until you have vetted the poster. Isn't that right?'

Mr. R: 'erm. .. yes. . .but we had a lot of trolls recently. . .erm. . .'

Can't you guys see that you've effectively handed any interviewer or panel member a loaded gun!

Forums are there for free discussion, take that away and you destroy the point of a forum. This whole site revolves around its forum, destroy the forum and you destroy HPC.co.uk.

Either way, I doubt I'll be visiting this site much in the future unless this policy changes as I will no longer be sure that the views here reflect reality, regardless of whether I am VIP or not.

Thanks for the years of information. :(

Interesting that The Moderators only joined in Nov. and has only posted 10 times.

:lol:

well if it wasn't for "The Moderators" group being 'moderator' you could have a point :)

Edited by theChuz

Guest Charlie The Tramp

No it is not a troll thread

This is a bug with the forum, it needs upgrading, moderators should speak to The Webmaster and stop fannying around :lol:

Webmaster is aware.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I think that was intended as a joke :D

Sometimes when I think something is a joke I find they are serious, so to be on the safe side. <_<

Guest consa

No it is not a troll thread

Webmaster is aware.

He knew about it ages ago, cos I told him :rolleyes:

I think that was intended as a joke :D

aye. pretty funny an all ... (under the circumstances)

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Have just returned to work and found this new policy on my favorite forum! Nice New Year present cheers!!

Sorry but this is an absolute joke and probably spells the end for this site and certainly the end of its credibility.

I've put up with many trolls and odd posts and have been here since the site first started when the old board was active. Over that time I've seen a few odd decisions but this is the worst yet About a year ago I was banned for a time as my Proxy's IP match another posters and the Mods therefore thought we were both trolls! If the Mods here were professionals in IT then that banning would never have been made (duplicate proxys are common) and neither would this ridiculous decision.

I have run many, many commercial sites, and guys, this is a bad BAD decision. Think what you're going to do:

2. Instill a sense of 'the Mod favorites who tow the site HPC line' and of deliberate censorship by omission.

4. Kill fresh discussion as only those who have achieved VIP status may post new topics so only their views will start a discussion.

6. Present a sense to the world at lare that 'Only acceptable views can be aired here' so allowing the site to be opened up to attacks that it enforces a bias.

People will accept trolls and no one blames a site for having them. No one accepts censorship in any form especially the media. I can almost see the next discussion on a radio talk show:

Mr. R: 'yes, well we believe that an HPC is enevitable. There's a lot of posters on our site who share these views..'

Interviewer: 'but Mr. R of course they share your views, you won't allow disussions to be started until you have vetted the poster. Isn't that right?'

Can't you guys see that you've effectively handed any interviewer or panel member a loaded gun!

Forums are there for free discussion, take that away and you destroy the point of a forum. This whole site revolves around its forum, destroy the forum and you destroy HPC.co.uk.

Either way, I doubt I'll be visiting this site much in the future unless this policy changes as I will no longer be sure that the views here reflect reality, regardless of whether I am VIP or not.

Evidently you have not read the first post re non VIPs not having full posting facilities. A problem has occurred with the software and only webmaster can correct what was intended for each members posting ability.

BP`s post last night explained how the forum would work for newly registered members, and an automatic upgrade of status, as I understand has failed.

Until it is corrected Moderators can do it manually by PM request to myself.

I've pm'd Bubble Pricker commenting on the decision made re starting threads and the fact that the thread informing us of it had been closed.

I would have preferred to have been able to comment in the thread itself, could it be reopened?

:(

I can't start a topic so posting here instead: there's some Amanda Lamb program on C4 right now where she's spouting a load of b*llocks about how much you can make with overseas property investment. Apparently the worst place on their list, could make you a 188% ROI in 10 years.

Worth a watch for a laugh.

Edited by Rave

I think people are making a mistake in thinking that new members will be gagged and it’s just a technical fault, today I could not edit my posts I had made earlier but I would think it is going to get fixed over the next day or two.

If it is indeed the policy to gag new members then I’ll leave the site

This has always been a good site and I hope it continues without changes.

You are very correct - the decision to restrict posting privileges is wrong and I am sure will be regretted in the days and weeks to come.

Anyone who starts a web site called 'housepricecrash' should prepare and expect dialogue with visitors who perhaps do not share their point of view. Of course you'll get trolls - what do you expect? Likewise, to counter this by restricting access of new members is going to have the unwelcome effect of drying up new contributions and the site runs the risk of withering on the vine - it will become stale as people perceive that all new topics seems to come from the same bunch....

New topics from new members is exactly what I want to see - it gives a site balance and credibility. Potential new members will think 'f*ck it - not worth the effort...' and move on and the rest of us will never get to hear what they wanted to say.

Hopefully the moderators will see sense and quietly put things back the way they were.... hpc is a very, very small web community and it will dry up more quickly than perhaps people realise... anyone minded to set up a competitive site (with a more media friendly name, better posting policies etc...) will see this decision as a ruddy green light and before we know it the world would have moved on...

Alan.

I can't start a topic so posting here instead: there's some Amanda Lamb program on C4 right now where she's spouting a load of b*llocks about how much you can make with overseas property investment. Apparently the worst place on their list, could make you a 188% ROI in 10 years.

Worth a watch for a laugh.

It's a laugh alright

......"invest £100k in Irish property and it will be worth over £300k in 10 years time"

So her advice is to buy in Ireland near the top of the biggest house price bubble in Europe if not the world and watch your 'investment' grow and grow.

Amanda Lamb has turned into mutton and is metamorphosing into Kirsty Allsop in more ways than one.

It's a laugh alright

So her advice is to buy in Ireland near the top of the biggest house price bubble in Europe if not the world and watch your 'investment' grow and grow.

Amanda Lamb has turned into mutton and is metamorphosing into Kirsty Allsop in more ways than one.

I've just asked my wife to turn that cr@p off.

Talk about unsubstantiated nonsense, that show is simply luring people into further debt in a bid to support a global bubble, it shouldn't be given air time!

Rant over. :P

:lol::lol: Love it!

So the subliminal advice to her BTL chums is thus: -

Ditch your BTL in the UK and buy a place in Romania!

Go on. You know it makes sense.

Bye the way: - sort this posting crap out!

Edited by Culpability Brown