House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
beerhunter

Kirmir Property Search: Kirstie Allsop's Old Company

Someone in a previous thread posted a link to Garrington Home Finders.. and having some spare time, I thought I'd put the deerstalker on and investigate.

Garrington was established in 1996 to counter two fundamental failings of the UK property market; namely that it is inefficient in its process and that it is biased against purchasers.

It is also the company the two Location and Re-Location presenters Phil Spencer (Chief Executive) and Kirstie Allsop (Partner) work for.

For Kirstie Allsop, it quotes;

Kirstie set up her own Home Search company, Kirmir, in 1996, focusing on top end purchases in Central and West London.

So what happend to Kirmir? (the full company name appears to be "Kirmir Property Search" according to the Channel 4 site).

First step was to find a website (past or present).

From a usenet post (#8 in the thread);

I assumed they were an off-screen double act, but Phil and Kirstie each have their own competing property search company (www.garrington.co.uk and www.kirmir.com respectively).

Also a google cached version of a Channel 4 site says

www.kirmir.com, Kirstie's home search company, Kirmir Property Search

So visiting www.kirmir.com ...

Moose Internet Services. This is a place holder for a customers site.

:lol::lol:

Going on the Wayback Machine, the last change to www.kirmir.com was the 12th March 2005, and unfortunately nothing much has been archived :(

My next stop was Companies House.. strangely tho there is no company name starting "Kirmir" whether it be trading / dissolved or proposed.

So did Kirmir ever legally exist? Was it registered outside this country? Does anyone know what happend to it?

By the way there is an entry in Companies House for Garrington Home Finders, and just ordered last accounts, returns, and current appointments report.. all for £3 :):) and reading through it now :o

I thought it was out of date.. but googling the phone number "8960 8228" I found Association of Relocation Agents: Member Details :blink:

Which has a link to www.allsoppandchurchill.com

Which as a link to dschurchill.com

Having a quick look, I can't find a companies house entry for "DS Churchill"

By the way there is an entry in Companies House for Garrington Home Finders, and just ordered last accounts, returns, and current appointments report.. all for £3 :):) and reading through it now :o

Hot news...

1) Although described as Partner on the website, Allsop is NOT a shareholder in Garrington Home Finders :lol:

2) Garrington Home Finders has about the same turnover as my company.. which employees just 4 IT people :lol:

Someone in a previous thread posted a link to Garrington Home Finders.. and having some spare time, I thought I'd put the deerstalker on and investigate.

Look at the smug experssion on those faces. I might have to photoshop them.

Look at the smug experssion on those faces. I might have to photoshop them.

:D I look forward to it.

That very page lists Kirstie's gender as male. I knew there had to be a reason for his/her lack of fashion sense.

I noticed that too... maybe there is something else she/he iis not telling us ;)

Brilliant.. just needs sound :) And I notice from my googling earlier the "results" given are the number of results from google :ph34r:

But seriously folks, what a load of old tosh.

Whether bull or bear, I am sure we have to accept that it must be a very frothy market that allows such companies to exist in the first place.

Why pay somebody a large fee to help you decide where to live in London when one day travelcard and an A-Z can be bought for under 20 quid.

And it is much more fun doing it by yourself anyway.

This is the sort of premium 'fake' value added service that is the first to dissapear in any return to normal market conditions. It doesnt need a crash, just a removal of the froth.

Just for fun - but you may have suspected . . . . .

KirMir - interpretation a "Pyramidal trap"!

Biblical/Egyptian 'Kir' means an "enclosure with high walls"

Associated in the Bible with "imprisoning the Syrians" ie a concentration camp!!

'Mir' is the ancient Egyptian for 'Pyramid' (with associated 'triangles')

Garrington

Capital 'G' is a major Masonic symbol/significance

A 'Garr' is an old word for 'Spear' also associated with fish.

Possible meaning "To Spear/hook the fish/population!!

"Call me Phil" - Phi is of major Masonic significance!

enjoy ;)

erm - could Kirmir be a sole tradership or partnership, hence not much info in the public domain?

Unless anyone can prove otherwise, unfortunately it may have been a sole trader or partnership (without limited liability) :(

How much of Garrington's £500k turnover was appearance fees from Channel 4 for their L-L-L programme?

May be in the notes to the accounts?

Could we see a balance sheet please. I like seeing what the shareholders funds are.

May be in the notes to the accounts?

Could we see a balance sheet please. I like seeing what the shareholders funds are.

I don't have the files to hand at the moment, but I don't remember any LLL related stuff in them (and normally accounts don't have such details)

I'll try and remember to post them in next time I'm at home (probably late tonight or tomorrow morning).

A turnover of about £500,000 for the year ending 30th June 2004.

See the attachment for the profit and loss account ;)

Many thanks, I think the margins on software are a little better than that, £414k on expenses, that's a lot of nice suits! :)

Apparently the company made a £60k loss in 2003, and a £75k profit in 2004.

In the last 2 years they've made £13k!

And that's during a massive housing boom.

How long do you think they'll last in a housing recession?

Edited by BandWagon