House Price Crash Forum

Local Paper - Property Section

HOLA441

Opened up my local FREEBIE paper tonight called 'Merseymart' Property Section was as follows.

FPA=Full Page Advert HPA=Half Page Advert QPA=Quarter Page Advert

Page 1: Houses of the week £172.950 to £350,000

Page 2: FPA Parkgate - 6 houses under £100K others up to £550,000

Page 3: HPA/QPA/ plus fillers of www.fish4homes.co.uk (In essence the whole page)

Page 4: FPA Whitegates 3 houses under £100K rest up to £359,950

Page 5/6/7: Sutton Kersh Large Gamut from £50k to £1m

Page 8: FPA Owners Overseas -with quotes like "house in Bulgaria around £20,000" With Guaranteed rental schemes up to 10% available.

Page 9: FPA fish4homes.co.uk

Page 10: (The editorial ads) HPA Barratts

Fresh deals for the new year - a Barratt article for Halewood (not a great area)

blah blah blah.... If you visit the site now and reserve a luxury 2 bed apartment youll find they start at £123,460 instead of £145,250 including carpets. If you can move quickly you can get a 4/5 bedroom Epsom on plot 5 for £314,670 reduced from £370,200.

Now I make that a reduction of £21,790 (14.99%) and £55,530 (15%)

CRASH - WHAT CRASH????

Page 10: HPA Haslam North West

blah blah .. basically just goes on about people like sharing flats with their mates and are now suggest that they buy together. According to them, and I quote

"sharing is under-rated"

wtf are they on about?????

"Until the mid 1990's a FTB paid 2.5 times their salary for their first home.... but now they have to pay more than 4 times their salary"

- yes you are right you do have to pay more than 4 times - its more like 6-8 times you tart!!!

All in all - apart from 1 Estate agency taking 3 pages, and I believe, reacting to market conditions everyone else is struggling.

FECKING BRILL INN'IT :)

Edited by teddyboy

HOLA442

blah blah blah.... If you visit the site now and reserve a luxury 2 bed apartment youll find they start at £123,460 instead of £145,250 including carpets.

That's a bit of a voodoo for stamp duty isn't it?

Interestingly Mike Skinner, the propa urban chronicler, described himself as not working class or middle class but after a British housebuilding company: "Barratt class: suburban estates, not poor but not much money about, really boring".

Edited by BuyingBear

HOLA443

Well, it is a start - looks like the builders have

dropped the 15% markup, that the BTL's

were widely using as a way to get their

deposit 'gifted' by the lender in their off-plan deals.

i.e. the off-plan price is now baing asked for generally.

The builders aren't really taking a loss yet.

It would be interesting to know what the real deal is,

cachback or some other way of maintaining the list price

(preferably to the point that it is the one told to the LR when

the sale is eventually registered)

ABB

HOLA444
HOLA445

I think the most important thing here is the fact that the BUILDER is quite clearly saying that they are REDUCING the prices.

The sheep of this country need to see in BLACK & WHITE that houses are depreciating. This is the only reason I believe prices are holding up. The majority of the population believe that House prices are still rising and the market is fine. When MR X gets an offer of £150K when an EA is telling him its worth £170K he wont sell because Auntie Beeb is saying HOUSE PRICES ARE UP AGAIN!!!!

When Mr. X gets an offer of £150K when everyone is saying that the housing market is fooked and will drop for the next few years - he wil then consider it. A snow ball needs momentum.!!

TB

HOLA446

I think the most important thing here is the fact that the BUILDER is quite clearly saying that they are REDUCING the prices.

The sheep of this country need to see in BLACK & WHITE that houses are depreciating. This is the only reason I believe prices are holding up.

Maybe, but these are new builds so in effect there is no basis to determine the 'real' price. If they were originally 30% loaded based on the price they were expecting when getting planning permission that means they're still 15% loaded.

HOLA447

The sheep of this country need to see in BLACK & WHITE that houses are depreciating. This is the only reason I believe prices are holding up. The majority of the population believe that House prices are still rising and the market is fine. When MR X gets an offer of £150K when an EA is telling him its worth £170K he wont sell because Auntie Beeb is saying HOUSE PRICES ARE UP AGAIN!!!!

When Mr. X gets an offer of £150K when everyone is saying that the housing market is fooked and will drop for the next few years - he wil then consider it. A snow ball needs momentum.!!

TB

Agreed,

The 15% reductions were previously 'secretly' available to

'investors'

I would still be interested to know what they say if you enquire.

Maybe if you have some spare time you could go down and pretend to

be interested, and find out the real score...?

Might be a few laughs in it if nothing else.

ABB

HOLA448

Lived in a Barratts house for two years rented and had nothing but trouble.. Windows glazed "upside down" backdoors failing, Plumbing in Bathroom crap.. created a nice hole in the ceiling, the list goes on. 50% off wouldnt be enough for me to buy one of those. In fact 75 % off wouldnt be enough. Hope they really struggle... Rubbish...

HOLA449

Lived in a Barratts house for two years rented and had nothing but trouble.. Windows glazed "upside down" backdoors failing, Plumbing in Bathroom crap.. created a nice hole in the ceiling, the list goes on. 50% off wouldnt be enough for me to buy one of those. In fact 75 % off wouldnt be enough. Hope they really struggle... Rubbish...

How can you tell if a window is glazed upside down? - just curious!

(is the view upside down too?)

HOLA4410

Lived in a Barratts house for two years rented and had nothing but trouble.. Windows glazed "upside down" backdoors failing, ...

Interesting...stayed at my cousins for a few days during the last summer and her patio door was bugging me. On closer inspection the whole thing was upside down, hence the door handles and the locking mechanism were the wrong way round and the runners were at the top so a bit stiff sliding. She been there 10years since new. Barratt home.

HOLA4411

I lived in a Barrett home - worst thing I ever bought.

Plumbing was atrocious. One water pipe had a hole in it that leaked, looked like some solder

had been used to "plug" the hole. The electrics outside under the path weren't deep enough

and the cables frayed. The firewall between the garage and house was incomplete and took

ages to get sorted. The sewage drains were not tilted enough to make it run into the sewer quickly enough

(not a problem, but noted in the survey when I sold). The gas cooker was not secured and could have had

a major gas leak.

Apart from that it was fine. Never made much money on it either - was glad to get rid of it.