House Price Crash Forum

Anyone Recommend A Good Investment Book

DRS

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

If you havent read them, try the first 2 rich dad poor dad books for some general inspirational stuff (make your money work for you not the other way around etc..)

Warning though, there is a definite cultish aspect and glossing over on details in his books. At least anyway they will give you an insight into the almost single track minded obsession with flipping property, it just seems most people ignore what the book says about non-property investing(classed as advanced investment) and leaves it alone.

Other than that, the Alvin Hall investing in shares one is not too bad. Plenty of other introductory ones around as well.

Should be able to pick them up off ebay I suspect cheaply.

Good luck!

HOLA444
HOLA445

Thanks for the input so far.

I'm a bit suprised that no one has any other suggestions <_<

heres a few

empire of debt

financial reckoning day

the dollar crisis and why its great for your investments

conquer the crash

buy to let bible :lol:

if you are gonna read just one i would say empire of debt - but dont expect to see any hot share tips in it.

i did once try and start a thread where people could recommend books but that didnt get much response though

thanks to durch though recommending conquer the crash

Edited by lowrentyieldmakessense(honest!)

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Yep, I agree, "The Intelligent Investor" is hardly a pleasant holiday read.

If you do read the book chapter 8 is an eye opener, probably the most important, and explains the essence of being contrarian. But tough going generally.

If you want a great book on investing have a read of Peter Lynch's "One Up On Wall Street", easy to read, amusing and it shows the financial markets for what they are (full of charlatans), and how to beat them.

"You want to invest in a company that's so simple to run, that any idiot can run it, because invariably someday any idiot will."

:D:D

Edited by BandWagon

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Thank you.

I'm not after share tips, but something that explains investment in general especially the basics of shares, commodities, gilts, bonds, CFDs. What drives things to go up and down. How to analyse a stock or commodity.The effects of dollar/inflation. Basic chartist stuff. Would also like some history of previous bull and bear runs.

Would any one book perhaps fit the bill?

Many thanks

Edited by DRS

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Hello.

Off on my hols in a few weeks time. Rather than read the usual paperback trash would like to try a 'must read' investment book. Any ideas welcome

I have only ever read 2 books on investing that have ever been worth the read

1.Reminices of a stock operator - Edward Lefevere

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047105970...glance&n=283155

read the reviews - this book is the bible of investment literature literally If you read one book on markets this should be it!

2. The art of War - Sun Tzu

all markets are clearly a war between bulls and bears, without strategy and tactics how can you possibly win ? read and learn

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Thank you.

I'm not after share tips, but something that explains investment in general especially the basics of shares, commodities, gilts, bonds, CFDs. What drives things to go up and down. How to analyse a stock or commodity.The effects of dollar/inflation. Basic chartist stuff. Would also like some history of previous bull and bear runs.

Would any one book perhaps fit the bill?

Many thanks

i don't think there is

i havent read peter lynch - i will add it to my list.

commodities - jim rogers hot commodities.

out of all the ones i have read and for this moment in time - Empire of Debt.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Guest muttley

DRS

I would recommend The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham. Warren Buffet says this is the best book ever written about investing.

Buffet also recommends "Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits" by Philip Fisher.Buffet describes his investment style as 85% Graham and 15% Fisher.

I haven't read either book,which makes me 0% Buffet.

HOLA4418

Taken from Investors Chronicle:

Top ten investment books for 2006:

INVESTORS

1. The Intelligent Investor - Benjamin Graham

2. Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits - by Philip Fisher

3. One Up on Wall Street - Peter Lynch

ACTIVE INVESTORS

4. How I Made $2,000,000 in the Stock Market - Nicolas Darvas

5. Reminiscences of a Stock Operator - Edwin Lefevre

6. How to Make Money in Stocks - William O'Neil

TRADERS

7. Trading in the Zone - Mark Douglas

8. Technical Analysis of Stock Trends - Robert Edwards and John Magee

9. Market Wizards: Interviews with Top Traders - Jack Schwager

10. Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom - Van Tharp

I have read 1, 2, 3, 5 & 9. 2 & 3 & 5 are great reads. 1 is very important. Read them all and you will see that there are a million ways to lose or make money on the stock market. Personally I would stick to books on investing and avoid trading altogether. No matter how good the book is, you are likely to lose money when trading because the odds are overwhelmingly stacked against you.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

What about "When the semen explodes" by DRS?

:P:P:lol::rolleyes:

It has exploded!! Have you not seen the prices these days? The recent laws now allowing the children born from donated semen to trace the donor mean supply has dried up, hence pushing up prices and and value of companies with large stocks. Malco, I would advise you to get into semen ASAP, but suspect you are already into it in many ways. :)

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

It has exploded!! Have you not seen the prices these days? The recent laws now allowing the children born from donated semen to trace the donor mean supply has dried up, hence pushing up prices and and value of companies with large stocks. Malco, I would advise you to get into semen ASAP, but suspect you are already into it in many ways. :)

Would you recommend physical semen, or eSemen? Which do you think is best in a "crisis"? :lol::lol: