House Price Crash Forum

I can't understand why silver has maintained it's price when the major use in photography has been superseded by digital cameras.

Growth in the population of werewolves? ;)

Here's the link. Very interesting - I've always wanted to keep small day-to-day emergency cash in a flexible silver account (I hate paying Gordon tax on my "interest" (read inflation), or indeed having any paper money).

Just bought a whopping £150 worth of silver from the site. The price is better than buying off eBay (the only place I could find silver bullion) - £5.45/oz compared to around £7/oz...

Regards,

crude

whoooaaa - been waiting for goldmoney to go silver. I got fed up waiting and bought more gold yesterday but have just bought a little silver too. :)

Here's a question for anyone with a Goldmoney account - what kind of assurances did you look for when you first signed up with them? I have an account but I haven't yet put anything in it. Now that silver is available I'd definitely like to buy some but I know the first thing out of my wife's mouth when she hears about it will be "how do you know they won't just steal our money?". How did you satisfy yourselves that this isn't the case?

Hello CS

First, check out their website in detail, they are pretty open about where they keep their gold and how it all works.

Second, try it out. I bought some, it went up, and I sold a portion, it went down and I bought some more. Everything worked just as the site says

Third, speak to them. I actually rang them up.

Guest wrongmove

Does anyine know if Goldmoney charge VAT on Silver ? I had a quick look on the website, but I couldn't find any mention of VAT.

Does anyine know if Goldmoney charge VAT on Silver ? I had a quick look on the website, but I couldn't find any mention of VAT.

Nope. Well, they didn't charge me!

Guest wrongmove

Nope. Well, they didn't charge me!

Cheers Jason. So they don't spring it on you when you make a purchse, then. Their spread is only 4-5%, so definitely no VAT included there.

I was wondering how they avoided it. They are based in Jersey, which doesn't have VAT, so maybe, as the silver never leaves Jersey, Goldmoney customers are exempt. Which is cool. 17.5% tax would be very unattractive! :)

Edited by wrongmove

Cheers Jason. So they don't spring it on you when you make a purchse, then. Their spread is only 4-5%, so definitely no VAT included there.

I was wondering how they avoided it. They are based in Jersey, which doesn't have VAT, so maybe, as the silver never leaves Jersey, Goldmoney customers are exempt. Which is cool. 17.5% tax would be very unattractive! :)

I spoke to another company about silver and was told that as long as you don't take physical possession of the silver then you don't pay VAT

Guest wrongmove

I spoke to another company about silver and was told that as long as you don't take physical possession of the silver then you don't pay VAT

Thanks for the info 2005

Guest Bart of Darkness

Pssible daft question:

Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere but are Goldmoney Gold and Silver accouts subject to Capital Gains Tax or does the fact that you don't physically possess the stuff make a difference?

But the website says that the warehouse is in a shed up at Heathrow. They're very Cool for Cats.

Here's a question for anyone with a Goldmoney account - what kind of assurances did you look for when you first signed up with them? I have an account but I haven't yet put anything in it. Now that silver is available I'd definitely like to buy some but I know the first thing out of my wife's mouth when she hears about it will be "how do you know they won't just steal our money?". How did you satisfy yourselves that this isn't the case?

I'm the same ..... maybe I'm paranoid, but I just see Goldmoney as a very elaborate scam !!

Hope I'm wrong of course :)

If some of the major banks offered a similar service or even HM Gov (Premium Bonds, why not Gold Bonds ?) then I'd stick my life savings in ......

I can't understand why silver has maintained it's price when the major use in photography has been superseded by digital cameras.

Because nearly all the silver from nitrate films is recycled and fed back into the markets. Hence net loss is far less than normally assumed.