House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pete95

Firstdirect 5% Aer Instant Access Savings Account

Ive just opened an online e-savings account with First Direct - the plan was to transfer my instant access cash from ING into First Direct because ING have cut rates to 4.5% but First Direct are paying 5%.

Just about to transfer the cash into the account, but then noticed in the small print that

NO INTEREST IS PAID ON THE WHOLE BALANCE IN ANY MONTH YOU MAKE A WITHDRAWAL!!!

:o:o

So had I transferred in the 25k from my ING account it wouldve in effect cost me 104pounds to make a withdrawal!!! (thats the interest for that month!)

I recommend people avoid First Direct for this reason!

EDIT: Its the same with HSBC's online saver account!!! Might end up sticking with ING at this rate.

Edited by Pete95

I noticed this in the small print when I was looking around for a decent instant access account a couple of months ago - I opened a cahoot savings account instead - 4.75% paid monthly with instant access and no penalties.

There's nothing wrong with the account. It just depends on your objectives and how you manage your money.

For example, you may want to use this account as a store for the bulk of your cash but keep rainy day money in another lower paying account like ING.

I noticed this in the small print when I was looking around for a decent instant access account a couple of months ago - I opened a cahoot savings account instead - 4.75% paid monthly with instant access and no penalties.

Aren't Cahoot doing a bonus saver for 6 months? 5.15%

Cahoot are offering 5.25% for 6months (0.75% introductory bonus) for balances over 15k, but then it falls to 4.75% for 3months, then 4.5% after.

Ive opened a B&B e-saver now - 4.85% AER, instant access, no charges and you can link it to 3 other accounts which is handy. Going to stick a chunk into 5.11% AER fixed rate bonds too.