House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Spikey

Next Results

LONDON (Reuters) - Fashion chain Next (NXT.L: Quote, Profile, Research) said on Wednesday it expected profits to exceed market forecasts after Christmas sales were stronger than expected.

The company, which is rapidly expanding, said total sales rose 9.8 percent in the period Aug 1 to Dec 24. Like-for-like sales in the 251 stores unaffected by new openings were down 3.2 percent compared with a previous drop of six percent.

The retailer expects full year profit before tax to be in the range of 435-450 million pounds compared with current estimates of around 420 million pounds.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticl...RETAIL-NEXT.xml

..Ok can someone explain how a 3.2% drop is seen as a good thing? and how sales rise 9.8% but like for like are down.... what are these 9.8% increase in sales based on?!

..Ok can someone explain how a 3.2% drop is seen as a good thing?

- I don't think it is, I guess the figure is for comparison - maybe

they are not as down as there competitiors?

They are expanding rapidly, so not all stores might have values for last year.

total sales rose 9.8 percent in the period Aug 1 to Dec 24

I guess they had a crap start to the year, but pulled back.

Perverse though it seems, the stock market gets jittery if real

results don't match expected (even if they are better than predicted),

as it gives the impression that the management actually know what they

are doing.

ABB

..Ok can someone explain how a 3.2% drop is seen as a good thing?

- I don't think it is, I guess the figure is for comparison - maybe

they are not as down as there competitiors?

They are expanding rapidly, so not all stores might have values for last year.

total sales rose 9.8 percent in the period Aug 1 to Dec 24

I guess they had a crap start to the year, but pulled back.

Perverse though it seems, the stock market gets jittery if real

results don't match expected (even if they are better than predicted),

as it gives the impression that the management actually know what they

are doing.

ABB

Thanks for that ABB.. So 3.2% drop in sales based on last year doesnt include new stores? I know you are not the Next director but do you know if the 9.8% increase is based on the first 1/2 of the year or would they get away with pulling that kind of figure out of a hat?

Guest boxmoor boy

This report is from Reuters who supply active traders with streaming real time news.The reason this news is'good'is because its better than whatever had been factored in by the market,which was'bad'.The price action reacted up 10% today,so classic sell the rumour buy the fact.BTW insiders have obviously been buying since Oct as seen in the price chart.

So:

"..Ok can someone explain how a 3.2% drop is seen as a good thing? and how sales rise 9.8% but like for like are down.... what are these 9.8% increase in sales based on?!

yes,when the expectation was for much worse.

This report is from Reuters who supply active traders with streaming real time news.The reason this news is'good'is because its better than whatever had been factored in by the market,which was'bad'.The price action reacted up 10% today,so classic sell the rumour buy the fact.BTW insiders have obviously been buying since Oct as seen in the price chart.

So:

"..Ok can someone explain how a 3.2% drop is seen as a good thing? and how sales rise 9.8% but like for like are down.... what are these 9.8% increase in sales based on?!

yes,when the expectation was for much worse.

Gotcha :)

Thanks for the reply... Oh and can I mark this post as the first one that I havent been accused of being a Troll... Happy days! :D:D

Guest boxmoor boy

Gotcha :)

Thanks for the reply... Oh and can I mark this post as the first one that I havent been accused of being a Troll... Happy days! :D:D

I'm lost,'Gotcha' as in?????

Like-for-like sales in the 251 stores unaffected by new openings were down 3.2% compared with a previous drop of 6%.

The retailer expects full-year pre-tax profits to be in the range of £435m and £450m compared with current estimates of around £420m.

Next, selling mid-price fashion and homewares, said it was still cautious because of the difficult trading environment.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30400-13489428,00.html

Edited by libitina

Companies who had a bad Christmas had to inform the FSA by January 4th - today!

A bad Xmas by whose/what definition?

And when are these made public?

Next is a quality outfit (although the clothes they sell might not be), and knows how to grow sales and profits in a tough high street environment. Wait a couple more weeks for trading updates before making any judgements. The demise of the retail sector has been greatly exaggerated imo - classic market over-reaction - and they are good bargains out there. HMV and Clinton Cards could do very well this year, I reckon, after losing a lot in 2005.

Guest boxmoor boy

"Opps I can see how the could hit with my comment!

Gotcha as in got what you meant! as in I understand!"

-of course,my mistake.I'm an idiot,I thought you were taking the pee.Sorry.

"They were up 10% today. The market liked it, why would anyone want to fight the trend?"

-indeed,the stuff i've been long on over the past year and a half has felt soooo awkward,what with some of the fundamentals out there coupled with my own experiences,but thats the way its meant to feel I guess,its another thing markets are good at!

Companies who had a bad Christmas had to inform the FSA by January 4th - today!

I was unaware that Next was regulated by the FSA. Why do they have to report to them?

..Ok can someone explain how a 3.2% drop is seen as a good thing? and how sales rise 9.8% but like for like are down.... what are these 9.8% increase in sales based on?!

Apparently, they had good internet sales. So, perhaps they sold less in the shops but more overall?

Please delete this posting as it was created by someone who is not allowed to make new posts.

We need to make sure we all know our place and keep to the party line.... :ph34r::o