House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Cheap Housing = Bad Housing?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yo...ire/4579644.stm

A pioneering block of flats in Leeds city centre has been evacuated amid fears it could collapse in high winds

New meaning to "housing crash"

What % of flats are made this way?

Surprise, surprise. The Germans have been successfully constructing houses and flats using prefab for years. Put British managers and workers in charge and its falling down in 5 years. Typical.

:angry:

Surprise, surprise. The Germans have been successfully constructing houses and flats using prefab for years. Put British managers and workers in charge and its falling down in 5 years. Typical.

:angry:

Very few are made this way in Uk,

Iits a pity because Joseph Rowntree are good guys. They had obviously gone out on a limb on this one with a view to finding a way to provide cheap rented housing. I only hope they find the cause of the problem fairly soon. I would expect the contractors have put it together wrong on site - maybe the assembly instructions were in japanese, they certainly wouldnt have a lot of experience. Its like flat pack furniture, if it isnt put together exactly as the instructions say, it falls to bits.

Very few are made this way in Uk,

Iits a pity because Joseph Rowntree are good guys. They had obviously gone out on a limb on this one with a view to finding a way to provide cheap rented housing. I only hope they find the cause of the problem fairly soon. I would expect the contractors have put it together wrong on site - maybe the assembly instructions were in japanese, they certainly wouldnt have a lot of experience. Its like flat pack furniture, if it isnt put together exactly as the instructions say, it falls to bits.

I dont doubt the intent of the project, Rowntree do a lot of good work. I just feel it might of been an idea for the management of the project to get the experienced contractors, make sure the instructions are in English and the rest. There is experience of doing this type of build out there for them to take advantage of, but its British managers we are talking about here....