House Price Crash Forum

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest boxmoor boy

"love em both.

the point remains though. Don't turn up at a barmitzvah trying to sell bacon sandwhiches."

My god you really have missed the point haven't you.Forget the bull/bear ******** you try to camp everyone into,this is about transparency to a market which is being ramped up by spin.If you want to know whats going on then you need freedom of expression,it says alot more than any report,economists opinion etc etc.Well it says alot more to me anyway,if you can't see the value in allowing such freedom then may I suggest you spend a bit less time spouting shallow nonsense and read up on what drives markets.

id leave them. its almost a good game to play spot the troll. plus the desperation speaks volumes about the market. and also its funny that they think trolling here will somehow prevent the downturn in housing. its almost enjoyable.

After the majority of the bulls set sail months ago on "the good ship HMS Property" (Property Guru - Singing Pig, circa August 2005) I think its great that the bears have these new playthings called the trolls to paw and toy with. The more the merrier. troll.giftroll.giftroll.giftroll.gif

I don't agree. It would make the site inaccessible to newbie’s.

No it wouldn't. Most new posters don't wade in and start starting threads right away, anyway - who does that, for heaven's sake? 35 posts before thread-starting seems perfectly reasonable. What's wrong with that? Wouldn't have put me off the site at all. Go for it, moderators, there's too many estate agents sitting around with nothing to do but come on here and post crap - they're trashing the place!!

The solution: 2 main discussion areas. "Discussions about why there will be a house price crash" and "Discussions about why there won't be a house price crash"

The effect: Newbies can still post. The site's membership grows and without any further criticisms or slanging matches. Visitors to the site can read the 2 different arguments in peace and make up their own minds about how they will carry forward with their lives.

That is an excellent idea.

Congratulations, new members are no longer allowed to start discussions.

You can find this site's new URL here.

I'm now bearish about this site's future and predict a short period of stagnation followed by a sustained fall in visitor numbers throughout 2006.

It also looks like 249 posts aren't enough to be elevated to V.I.P. status and granted the honour of starting a discussion.

All you newbies better start posting as many extraneous posts as you can if you ever hope to join The Elite.

Edited by HPCheese
Guest wrongmove

Yes, I'm not sure I approve of the new setup, the trolls are a pain but unless this is a temporary measure I think the cure will be worse than the disease.

I thought this was your idea !! See the title of this very thread you plonker !!

:)

With the number of trolls we have had recently can I suggest that newbies are prevented from posting new topics until they have reached regular status (35 posts I think).
Edited by wrongmove

I thought this was your idea !! See the title of this very thread you plonker !!

:)

It was an issue worth raising as evidenced by the mods decision to prevent newbies from posting.

As the thread developed it convinced me that it was not the solution (although pre-modding newbie threads might be), being really a victory for the trolls.

Edited by Young Goat
Guest wrongmove

It was an issue worth raising as evidenced by the mods decision to prevent newbies from posting.

As the thread developed it convinced me that it was not the solution (although pre-modding newbie threads might be), being really a victory for the trolls.

Fair enough - apologies for calling you a plonker....

Hmmm... as a long time lurker on this site I must say I think some of the people posting on here are beginning to ruin it for everyone else.

No offence intended to Young Goat, who joined 11 Oct 05, but just because you've made 297 posts since then, what makes you able to start a new thread as a "VIP" and for me to remain a newbie as I prefer to only make occasional contribution to a topic ?

This "proposal" was suggested yesterday and is already in place ? Why? I'm sure that new people will lose interest if they can't start a topic, shame as I did enjoy reading the forums on this site. This use to be a much more interesting place to visit. :(

And what is all this "troll troll troll" business anyway? Surely they'll get bored and go else where next week.

Well having read all this thread I find Boxmoor Boy's argument very compelling re gaugeing general sentiment as he is right it is that which drives markets.

Plus the less trolls we have the less chance I have of enjoying CrashIsUnderWay's hilarious interaction with them.

Also as shakerbaby says it's fun to paw and play with them.

And I dare say Classixuk's idea would indeed grow the site membership. In that it would always be relevent not matter which stage of the actual cycle we are at. After all even the most ardent bear will morph into a bull at some stage in the cyclical market that housing is, I certainly will.

Just thought of a thread debate there, I only hope there are enough Bulls on the site to merit it being of value debate wise, but it's time for tea or as we posh people say Dinner ;)

Anyway whatever the mods decided to settle on permanently I beleive they will be acting in the best interest of the site. And not their own particulare leanings whatever some on here may beleive they think they know them to be. I would not have their job for all the tea in the wifes caddy.......If I said China you would know I was doing a "London Landlady" :rolleyes:

WTF is it with the paranoia on this forum?

There was a thread "Well done mods" where I just got accused of being a troll. How lovely. Whoever posted I was (someone called Durch or someone similar), I suggest they read up on my posts firsts. They'll find I'm pro HPC.

Diallowing open discussion is hypocrisy. You're doing exactly the same thing as those with a VI. All that is going to happen is someone is going to open another forum and the HPC community is going to get fragmented.

Its one thing setting this site up, its another running it.

In my opinion i think its a bit steep to ban posting new topics until xyz number of posts would be achieved.

It would be far better (like what was done with old BBB user from last year) to have new topics from new users await review by the Moderators before being added to the forum. After a certain "provisional" time has passed(2 weeks or so), were the new users thereafter assume full status & no reviewing, this way, genuine users can still start topics afresh from nil posts, whilst at the same time the "Trolls" get filtered out

Edited by A Fool & His Borrowed Money