House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
WSG

Thorntons In The Brown Stuff

If they screw up and I lose access to my yearly alpini, there'll be trouble! A good box of Continental is about the only thing I look forward to at Xmas. (Well, that and feeling ill after guzzling the whole box on top of a pile of turkey sandwiches and half a pint of Baileys).

Actually I had started to worry a little about them when their stuff started to appear in places like Asda a year or two ago. It seems like a very risky strategy to expose yourself to the lower end of the retail market while trying to maintain your core business as a supplier of luxury treats.

But then I guess people like me are hardly likely to keep them afloat, and if we do enter a proper, grown up recession businesses like theirs will suffer more than most, I'd have thought. So I can't blame them for trying to open up new sales opportunities. But with that bigger exposure comes a bigger risk of judging the market wrongly.

Andrew McP... wandering off to the Thortons website to dribble a little while reminding himself he's put on 4lbs over the last 2 weeks.

My local Thornton's branch is having a 50% off sale--never seen that before! As it is sometimes said: "as goes chocolate so goes houses."

:lol:

Edited by Realistbear

Well, looks like the NHS health nazis have finally scared people off choccies -- given that you no longer get certain treatments if you're obese (or smoking).

The shelves in Tescos (my local one is an 'Extra Store' so they should in theory have a huge range) with the adult choccies is rather small nowadays, so that trend does not only affect Thorntons.

Lately I've been thinking that if I buy a friend a box of choccies, all I do is buy them a guilttrip, something unhealthy that will rot their teeth, widen their waists and make them feel bad.

Some kind of present :o

Cinnamon

well you cant pay for a high street location at around 45k a year + tax + wages + stock.

and support that by selling the occassional bag of 1.75p bonfire toffee.

flawed business model.

hadits day in the 70s when people shopped by foot.

Lately I've been thinking that if I buy a friend a box of choccies, all I do is buy them a guilttrip, something unhealthy that will rot their teeth, widen their waists and make them feel bad.

Ah, but that's the very reason why chocolates are still a great present to give. You can't justify buying them for yourself... too expensive, indulgent, unhealthy, fattening, whatever. But if someone else buys them for you, you can't just throw them away. I mean, that would be like throwing their love away. So you simply *have* to eat them, no matter how unpleasant it may be. :-)

To help balance the karmic equation you could always buy them a toothbrush as well.

Andrew McP

PS Libitina... I take whatever I'm given, and I'm very grateful for it ;-). But if parting with my own cash it's alpini first.

Edited by Andrew McP

I don't think we'll even see the real effect of price and cost pressures and competitive pressures from supermarkets and large discounters from the press releases - the ones that will really struggle in retail will be the small shops located in city centres that are expesive and troublesome to even enter nowadays - kind of handy that councils have gummed up the centres so that people are pushed out to the out of town retail stores to shop.

There was a report that showed that smaller shops employed (either directly or indirectly) far more people locally that the supermarkets. When the smalle business retail sector gets clobbered then unemployment will really start to rise as all the trades that service those retail outlets lose business.

As RFD says the fixed costs nowadays rent/council tax and adhering to a whole bunch of employment and trading laws are making the situation untenable for many, a drop in sales is the final kick in the financial nuts.