House Price Crash Forum
libitina

Where Are People Investing Their Money?

If the sensible ones are leaving or have left the housing market and the FTSE is rising, what are they putting their money into? Retails very shaky, building companies are struggling etc. ..what's left?

People in general I mean, not anyone on here. As a complete investment numpty I'm not looking for advice from anyone. I'm just curious is all......

People in general I mean, not anyone on here. As a complete investment numpty I'm not looking for advice from anyone. I'm just curious is all......

The stock market is much more than building and retail stocks. Stick money into a unit trust or tracker that preferably picks up the wider market not just FTSE100. The FTSE100 should probably go up 10% this year and probably more for the wider market. Also European stocks should do better this year than the UK as they should have faster growth rates.

It's looking mighty wild in Shropshire right now :unsure::huh:

The stock market is much more than building and retail stocks. Stick money into a unit trust or tracker that preferably picks up the wider market not just FTSE100. The FTSE100 should probably go up 10% this year and probably more for the wider market. Also European stocks should do better this year than the UK as they should have faster growth rates.

It's looking mighty wild in Shropshire right now :unsure::huh:

Ive got three trackers

1/2 in ftse 100

1/4 in ftse smaller companies - i think its ftse 250

1/4 in a european tracker

not sure what people in general are doing but ive put my money in ftse trackers, european funds and also a uk aggressive fund. this is in addition to using my cash isa allowance and a bit in ING, although im going to transfer alot of my ING money to the stock market.

Ive got three trackers

1/2 in ftse 100

1/4 in ftse smaller companies - i think its ftse 250

1/4 in a european tracker

Good man - that sounds like a good mix !

Im also looking at investing in some trackers - where is a good place to look for comparisons? Anyone suggest any websites which are worth a look?

Currently having a shake-up of my savings;

- ISA moving from Northern Rock (3.45% :o ) to Halifax (5%)

- General savings from ING (4.5%) moving to First Direct (5%)

- 10k in 1yr fixed rate at 5.11% (anticipating base rates will fall to 4% this yr)

Never had too much luck with personal shares, so tracker funds sound ideal.

Edited by Pete95

If the sensible ones are leaving or have left the housing market and the FTSE is rising, what are they putting their money into? Retails very shaky, building companies are struggling etc. ..what's left?

own business

gold and precious metals (shares)

natural resources and commodities (shares)

cash

japan and asia shares

uk and european shares including emerging europe

small amount of us shares

commercial property (where my business is)

resi property (home)

but thats me and i might not have a clue

Edited by lowrentyieldmakessense(honest!)

Pete95 and Ozmosis

There are trackers for a European wide index from Legal and General for example.

It doesnt make a lot of difference who you buy your tracker from just minor differences in charging.

THE FTSE AllShare tracker is almost the same as a FTSE100 tracker but slightly more worthwhile.

There are a few FTSE250 trackers around and i strongly advise you stick at least 25% in that and maybe 25% in a Euro tracker and the remainig 50% in FTSEAll Share.

penbat1, thanks for the advice - Im going to do some research tomorrow - think I'll sink some money in.

DRS - yeah I post on scoobynet quite frequently in the off-topics! Dont recognise youre username from there tho!

Right now......

Europe ( inc UK ) 42%

Asia (inc Jap) 22%

Gold & Miners 17%

Cash 12%

US 4%

Latin Am 4%

I generally use ETFs and managed funds as I'm ( from experience ) a better spotter of macro economic / currency trends than I am a stock picker ( I leave picking the exact stocks to invest in to the professionals ).

Ps,

Cut from another angle I am currently:

60% developed markets

12% emerging markets

12% cash

17% gold

No tech exposure and ( hopefully ) a fairly conservative mix.

Edited by timmy_30

I looked at Legal & General and they say these Tracker Trust funds should be medium to long term investmenrs (5 years +) - does everyone agree with this?

I looked at Legal & General and they say these Tracker Trust funds should be medium to long term investmenrs (5 years +) - does everyone agree with this?

I entirely agree - preferably 10 years plus. It isnt necessarily a one way street, the FTSE100 for example is still 20% below its 2000 level.

Try Legal and General, for example. Their charges for the Europe tracker are pretty low (0.81%). You can "wrap" them in an ISA to avoid tax, and invest as little as £50/month.

http://www.landg.com/investments/isas/inde...duct-range.html

Yes Legal and General are about as good as anywhere for FTSEAllShare and European but it is well worth putting around 30% into a FTSE250 tracker - there are a few around but dont know what they are off hand. Legal and General dont do them. (I have invested in a FTSE250 active fund for my pension).

I dont think ISAs give you any tax exemptions on equities these days except for capital gains tax.

Guest wrongmove

Yes Legal and General are about as good as anywhere for FTSEAllShare and European but it is well worth putting around 30% into a FTSE250 tracker - there are a few around but dont know what they are off hand. Legal and General dont do them. (I have invested in a FTSE250 active fund for my pension).

I dont think ISAs give you any tax exemptions on equities these days except for capital gains tax.

You're a bit of a fan of the FTSE250, aren't you ? :P

However, the AllShare looks a good bet too. The P/E is much higher on the 250 than the 100 or the small caps, and L&G only charge about 0.5%. (The AllShare has all 3 included). I'm talking from a longterm, value hunting perspective, rather than a trader's eye view though.

Edited to add, yes, ISAs just protect you from CGT.

Edited by wrongmove

You're a bit of a fan of the FTSE250, aren't you ? :P

However, the AllShare looks a good bet too. The P/E is much higher on the 250 than the 100 or the small caps, and L&G only charge about 0.5%. (The AllShare has all 3 included). I'm talking from a longterm, value hunting perspective, rather than a trader's eye view though.

Edited to add, yes, ISAs just protect you from CGT.

FTSE250 has been way outperforming the FTSE100 for years. Seems only reasonable to get some exposure to FTSE250 midcaps rather than just concentrate on FTSE100 or FTSEAllShare. I'm not suggesting going for FTSE250 exclusively and this should be a long term investment.

Guest wrongmove

FTSE250 has been way outperforming the FTSE100 for years. Seems only reasonable to get some exposure to FTSE250 midcaps rather than just concentrate on FTSE100 or FTSEAllShare. I'm not suggesting going for FTSE250 exclusively and this should be a long term investment.

But the allshare contains the 250 (and the 100 and lots of small caps), so it does give you some exposure to the 250.

I agree the 250 has done very well recently - congratulations on your gains - but on fundamentals like p/e, the 250 looks expensive now, compared to 100 and small caps. Of course I am guessing, but starting from now, the allshare looks better longterm value than the 250. If you like trackers, it is also very cheap to invest via L&G.

But the allshare contains the 250 (and the 100 and lots of small caps), so it does give you some exposure to the 250.

FTSEAllshare performance is virtually identical to FTSE100 as allocations are proportional to company capitalisation value. Allshare is about 90% FTSE100 companies, 8% FTSE250 companies and 2% small cap companies.

Edited by penbat1

Guest wrongmove

FTSEAllshare performance is virtually identical to FTSE100 as allocations are proportional to company capitalisation value. Allshare is about 90% FTSE100 companies, 8% FTSE250 companies and 2% small cap companies.

Fair enough. I can't invest in FTSE250 through my ISA - perhaps I will have to buy some iShares FTSE 250 tracker shares seperately.

Penbat, do you think the 250 bull run will continue much longer ? As I said earlier, it looks expensive now compared to 100 (p/e about 20 vs about 15 for the FTSE100)

penbat1, thanks for the advice - Im going to do some research tomorrow - think I'll sink some money in.

DRS - yeah I post on scoobynet quite frequently in the off-topics! Dont recognise youre username from there tho!

Thought it was! I use a different username there.