House Price Crash Forum

Crown Heights And Victory Hill

HOLA441

This thread is dedicated to the “city lifestyle” apartment developments located in Basingstoke. It has been put together as a resource for those interested in the towns local architecture and housing developments as well as those looking to buy whether it be for investment or for the “city” living experience.

Crown Heights, Basingstoke, Alencon Link, Basingstoke, RG21 7TY

http://www.hants.gov.uk/environment/highde...ownheights.html

Overview: Crown Heights is situated on the site of a former 13 storey Government office block in the heart of Basingstoke. The development represents a radical change in approach away from the rigid land-use zoning that characterised the ‘new town’ expansion.

The development is split into two crescent buildings around a new urban plaza and will introduce 288 dwellings into the town centre. The blocks rise from four storeys in the southern part of the site to 14 storeys in the northern area. As well as new apartments, the new building will have a mix of almost 3,000m2 leisure space and 3 shops encircling the plaza.

A bridge will link the Crown Heights’ plaza with the adjacent Festival Place retail development and bus station and Basingstoke’s mainline railway station.

crownheights1.jpg

FASHIONABLE Docklands living has arrived in Basingstoke as developer Barratt launches the first penthouse it has built outside London.

The ninth and 10th floors of one of the two buildings that make up Crown Heights in the centre of town now feature a fully-furnished duplex penthouse - one of eight that will eventually come to the market on the £40million scheme of 288 apartments.

And it's something that Basingstoke has never seen before - swish living and a penthouse to party in, as the launch event saw a jazz band playing in the amazing loft-style reception room and there was still plenty of room for the guests.

NEW computer images herald the launch of almost 300 city-style apartments in the heart of Basingstoke, between the £350 million Festival Place redevelopment scheme and the railway station.

In the New Year, potential buyers on a waiting list will be invited for a preview of the £40 million scheme, where the first apartments on Churchill Way will be released at around £175,000.

Those buying from plan will have to wait until early 2003 to move in and the whole development project of 288 apartments is on a two to three-year build programme.

Next year Basingstoke will see the shape of things to come as Barratt starts building the two cresent-shaped buildings which will rise to 14 storeys and face each other across a landscaped courtyard.

The project has received the unanimous backing of Basingstoke planners.

David Pretty, Barratt Southern chairman, said: "We were delighted to win such resounding support for this classic example of recycling redundant land in a central urban location, and we are glad to be under way after the long demolition process.

"Crown Heights will not only transform an unattractive site, it will bring residential life into the heart of Basingstoke - and that is good news for the local economy as well as the social fabric of the town."

The council's planners reported described Crown Heights as providing a "flamboyant architectural cascade to Churchill Way which will both enrich the urban environment and provide a visual linkage between the surrounding buildings".

The shell of the nuclear bunker, originally built as part of Crown Buildings, will contain a health and fitness centre with a swimming pool, and the development will also have retail and restaurant amenities.

A new bridge will make an easy pedestrian link between Crown Heights and Festival Place.

Thirty of the apartments are allocated for shared ownership or rental by local people and another 25 will be exclusively for occupation by the active elderly.

THE skyline of Basingstoke is changing by the day as the town's new shopping centre Festival Place continues to take shape.

It will mark one of the entrances to the £300 million development and is located next to the Ster Century 10-screen cinema. In total, the massive shopping and leisure complex - which is set to open in October - will have 10 towers which will all be lit up at night.

It will house a spiral staircase which will lead to a bridge over Churchill Way linking Festival Place with Crown Heights - the new apartments currently being developed.

Progress is also being made on the creation of the town's "Liquid" nightclub which will have a capacity of more than 1,000 people and is planned to target the over 20s.

The building is still under construction but Luminar Leisure, which will run the club, is already busy applying for licences.

A spokesman for the company that managed the town's Martines club, which was pulled down to make way for Festival Place, said: "What we intend to bring is a very, very state-of-the-art, good quality entertainment and dancing venue to Basingstoke."

He added: "We are very excited about coming to Basingstoke. It will be worth the wait."

http://archive.thisishampshire.net/2002/5/3/65044.html

http://archive.thisishampshire.net/2004/5/12/29386.html

RIALTO is offering a tempting range of buyer incentives at its Victory Hill development in Basingstoke.

Offers include five per cent deposit paid, mortgage subsidies and cashback.

The scheme, which brings chic city apartment living to Basingstoke, is popular with first-time buyers due to an unbeatable combination of low maintenance contemporary design, attractive and convenient location and value.

Located off Winterthur Way in the centre of Basingstoke, Victory Hill is a city-style development consisting of 481 contemporary one and two-bedroomed apartments and penthouses. The development is designed around spacious squares and landscaped grounds, ....... with spacious open-plan kitchen/living areas.

the kitchens will be comprehensively equipped, including integrated fridge/ freezer, washer/dryer and built-in stainless steel Smeg oven, and a touch-sensitive ceramic hob.

Prices at Victory Hill start at £164,000 for one-bedroomed apartments and £177,000 for two-bedroomed apartments.

From the archive, first published Wednesday 15th May 2002.

CONTROVERSIAL plans to build a £1.2million footbridge across Churchill Way are waiting for planning approval. The 45m-long bridge, with two silver-painted arches, will link Festival Place and Crown Heights - a new luxury apartment block under construction. It will also provide a direct link between the bus and railway stations.

However, Cllr Heath described it as "a rapist's dream".

"You can see whose coming and wait for them. Muggers can follow people across and could trap you in the enclosed space," he said, adding: "People don't like going down the stairs from car parks late at night, let alone walking across a bridge into a tower."

From the archive, first published Monday 10th Oct 2005.

Sir.-Cllr Stephen Reid speaks wise words (letters, September 22).

Crown Heights, originally intended to be a pleasant rather upmarket development for professional people who do not want the hassle of a house and garden, has failed to deliver.

This was, perhaps, predictable the minute someone decided to paint the blocks bright blue and bilious yellow!

After a short time they already look dirty and tired, the concrete on the balconies appears stained and there is a generally down-at-heel look.

I fear the Victory Hill flats will soon go the same way. Why are we now in the process of putting up ugly depressing blocks, which will also need to be torn down in 20 years? Do people never learn?

The centre of town and the immediate surrounding area already suffers from anti-social, loutish behaviour, often fuelled by drink, which adds further reasons why those who can afford it go elsewhere.

http://archive.thisishampshire.net/2005/9/22/94383.html

A SERIAL troublemaker - dubbed Basingstoke's most prolific offender - has been locked up for four years.

Daniel Malcolm has a list of 37 convictions for 130 offences to his name.

He has only had one year free of convictions in the last 13 - and that was when he was in custody.

Now that Malcolm, of Winterthur Way, Victory Hill, Basingstoke, is back behind bars, ……………………

From the archive, first published Friday 16th Sep 2005.

BASINGSTOKE MP Maria Miller is backing residents of a landmark development who say their lives are being made miserable by anti-social behaviour.

People living in Crown Heights, Alencon Link, are particularly concerned that the grounds of the complex have become a magnet for rowdy behaviour with revellers shouting, swearing and drinking as they pass through late at night or in the early hours.

Now, some people living in Crown Heights have formed a residents' group to press for action to deal with the problem.

Tenant Madalene Johnston, 45, said: "I wish I had known what it would be like here before I moved in. It's really getting me down because I have to record all of the incidents to show what is happening. To be honest, I just want to move out now."

Resident David Ellis, 32, has also seen the conditions in Crown Heights progressively get worse.

He said: "My wife and I used to live in a small flat in Popley, but then we were told this new development would be much better for us so we moved in two years ago.

"We were promised a gym would be built and small bistros and restaurants would move in around the fountain to create a really nice area, but none of this has happened.

"You get groups of people swearing, shouting and drinking down there until 3am and they're making more noise and coming in larger numbers these days."

The residents say Crown Heights has become a thoroughfare for people making their way to the taxi rank outside Basingstoke train station after a night out in town pubs and clubs.

Mr Ellis said: "I worked as a healthcare assistant at the hospital, and having people gather around the fountain here or pass through on their way to the taxi rank would destroy your sleep pattern."

Mr Ellis and Ms Johnston claim their landlord, Sentinel Housing Group, has not responded to their complaints, despite them collecting a petition signed by more than 30 of their neighbours. They have now turned to Basingstoke MP Maria Miller for help.

Mrs Miller said: "I wrote to Sentinel about the issues residents are facing more than a month ago, but I only received a holding response - they have done nothing else.

"No person should be forced to live in the kind of situation that has developed at Crown Heights, and it raises fundamental questions about the future of housing development in Basingstoke.

"We have to ask whether high-rise, high-density blocks like Crown Heights are the way forward, and ensure what we do in the future is well thought through and sustainable."

Ben Giles, press officer for Sentinel, said that, as many flats are privately-owned in Crown Heights, there is little that can be done. He added that Sentinel owns and rents 17 flats and has a further 17, which

have been allocated to key workers and shared ownership.

He added: "Sentinel is aware that there are problems with the noise and anti-social behaviour in the central courtyard at Crown Heights.

"We are working with the residents' association and Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council to find a solution to the problem, including working with an ASBO (Anti Social Behaviour Order) officer there."

Sir.-Being proud of Basingstoke - you seem to constantly remind us of this.

I would be intrigued to find out who you have been speaking to, as I suspect it is people who work here but who do not live here.

I am far from enthusiastic. …….the upset residents of Crown Heights who have finally discovered they live close to a nightclub which, again, attracts the local rubbish.

You would have to pay me to live in those tasteless blocks anyway.

In short, we have some very common people living here who seem to lord their equally common ways over everyone else.

Lord help us when the extended licensing hours come in. Perhaps the council would supply our area with additional bin liners.

I just hope the value of property does not fall too much.

Edited by BTLOptingOut

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Sounds just like so many of these new developments......ridiculous prices for cramped, anti social living, but the best way for the local government to cream it in by way of collecting council tax.

What I find strange is the fact that all the commentary of disapproval comes from housing association tenants. Those that bought privately must be too ashamed to be associated with buying in such a development!!

HOLA443
HOLA444
Guest Bart of Darkness

A quality post BTLOptingOut.

Reinforces what has been said elsewhere on this site about the eventualy fate of a lot of these developments.

HOLA445

A quality post BTLOptingOut.

Reinforces what has been said elsewhere on this site about the eventualy fate of a lot of these developments.

Thanks for the positive feedback Bart, actually I'm hoping many others will follow and post about city living in their areas. It is the "city lifestyle" sector which I firmly beleive will lead any downturn in the market. I've got plenty more anecdotes, links and stats to add to this thread which I'll be making over the course of the next few weeks.

Here's tonights instalment:

http://archive.thisishampshire.net/2005/10/19/95219.html

From the archive, first published Wednesday 19th Oct 2005.

Sir.-I write in response to letters in last Thursday's Gazette regarding the "proud of Basingstoke" debate.

here are numerous architectural eyesores around the town, of which the garish Crown Heights is one.

I also agree with another correspondent that Victory Hill will probably go a similar way and look very tired in a relatively short space of time.

Letter from concerned Brookvale resident

I feel it ill befits that body to criticise anyone when it has allowed the ambience of the area to be grossly violated by the construction of the horrendous structures, known as Victory Hill.

accompanied by a demolition order on this site, and to satisfy the residents of South View the order should be extended to include the eyesore of Crown Heights.

No doubt the numerous (approx 900) residents of Crownheights and Victory Hill will be re-assured at the re-sell value of their properties knowing that other developers are interested in creating further "city lifestyle" residences in Basingstoke:

A FORMER headquarters building for IBM in the heart of Basingstoke is for sale for £4.5million.

The empty building is being marketed by commercial agents Jones Lang LaSalle.

The move comes after talks on converting it into another apartment block, close to the developments of Crown Heights and Victory Hill, failed to clinch a deal.

Alençon House, which is within walking distance of Basingstoke railway station, is for sale or rent, and the agents have not ruled out a developer still wanting to convert it into living accommodation.

Mark Embury, of Jones Lang LaSalle, said: "We are still talking and it still could possibly go for flats. Numerous people have expressed interest."

The landmark Alençon House (pictured), which helped to give Basingstoke its high-rise Dallas tag, offers 157,796 sqft of accommodation.

HOLA446

And now time for some stats:

Top prices paid for Crown Heights

(namely top floor penthouses with larger than postage stamp balcony, nice echo feature round the crescent shaped complex of the post 3am Liquid chuck out crowd):

212 Alencon Link,

RG21 7TZ £499,995

28-May-2004

147 Alencon Link,

RG21 7TW £425,000

25-Jun-2004

149 Alencon Link,

RG21 7TW £332,995

28-Nov-2003

352 Alencon Link,

RG21 7TS £329,995

02-Apr-2004

350 Alencon Link,

RG21 7TS £319,995

02-Apr-2004

210 Alencon Link,

RG21 7TZ £310,000

29-Apr-2004

And the bottom (new sales - not re-sell.....those gems for later)

(namely bottom floor trash for full sound benefit of the post chuck out 3am Liquid crowd):

16 Alencon Link,

RG21 7TY £169,995

26-Jun-2003

2 Alencon Link,

RG21 7TY £169,995

27-Jun-2003

10 Alencon Link,

RG21 7TY £169,995

26-Jun-2003

216 Alencon Link,

RG21 7TR £171,000

30-Dec-2003

18 Alencon Link,

RG21 7TY £171,995

26-Jun-2003

8 Alencon Link,

RG21 7TY £172,995

30-Jun-2003

Liquid - Basingstokes premier chav nite out (and a very convienient 300 yards from Crown heights):

timeout_main.jpg

Edited by BTLOptingOut

HOLA447

And now the re-sell market, unfortunately desite the high availability of re-sells on the market there doesn't appear to be too many takers to date and those that do are hard bargainers:

Crown Heights

84 Alencon Link,

RG21 7TY

26-Sep-2003 £190,995

28-Jun-2005 £165,000

Ohh err misses where did my £25,995 equity go

Crown Heights

139 Alencon Link,

RG21 7TW

28-Nov-2003 £213,995

29-Jun-2005 £183,000

Guess you can write off that £30,995 to smeg oven wear and tear?

Oh look! Appears that the novelty of that penthouse has worn off:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property/9329084

Oh but wait a moment.......doesn't look like you anticipate making much capital appreciation on that deal:

210 Alencon Link,

RG21 7TZ £310,000

29-Apr-2004

Stunning view though:

4796_BAE050600_IMG_01_t.jpg

Yeah I'll offer you £180K for it...or you could always wait for my counter offer of £150K in 2007.

Edited by BTLOptingOut

HOLA448

A vendor who is only just coming to terms with the fact that they will not get what they paid for it:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property/7347602

Crown Heights

47 Alencon Link,

Basingstoke,

Hampshire,

RG21 7TN £190,000

20-Apr-2004

Listen pet, £10,005 reduction on your purchase price ain't gonna swing it....based on re-sells to date you are looking at a sale of £160K max.....You could always throw in a £30K cash back incentive, at least the neighbours will appreciate the maintenance of the high re-sell value illusion.

HOLA449

But why buy a resell when there are still loads of new flats in that grim block still for sale!

And as for Victory Hill, I went to visit a friend who has been given a housing association flat with her boyfriend after only 6 months on the list and my god they were grim. We were met in the grey foyer by a girl who certainly looked like she would sell her baby for a westlife cd and then proceeded to go into her flat. On the way to the flat I noticed paint peeling off the walls of the corridors and cracks in the walls and within the flat a lot of work was needed by my friend to make the flat look halfway decent.

I know that is the housing association part but apart from some pretty laminate instead of lino flooring in the luxury apartments I cant imagine that they are much different.

My mother attended a planning permission meeting for some more flats which are between Victory Hill and Kingsclere Road and apparently they want to build 300 odd more flats. Gone very quiet in the last 6 months, maybe they have realised that the only market for these flats are housing associations (hardly living up to the luxury idea) or BTLers who are struggling to return a decent yield on these overpriced shoeboxes

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Some great posts here, thanks for the info.

I believe that during the 90's crash some of the houses that had been converted to flats were converted back into houses.

Now obviously that can't be done with these places, so most likely they will end up being low cost accommodation for the councils.

Nothing wrong with that, the developers (and even more the fools who bought these places) have done cheap housing a great favour over the long term.

With what is now becoming a complete glut of "luxury" apartments, I'm hoping that many houses in outlying areas that may have been converted into flats will be able to be coverted back into family homes.

This country is in dire need of this type of accommodation, not these rubbish rabbit hutches.

Edited by BandWagon

HOLA4413

Nothing wrong with that, the developers (and even more the fools who bought these places) have done cheap housing a great favour over the long term.

With what is now becoming a complete glut of "luxury" apartments, I'm hoping that many houses in outlying areas that may have been converted into flats will be able to be coverted back into family homes.

This country is in dire need of this type of accommodation, not these rubbish rabbit hutches.

Theres a great thread from Dr Bubb on how developers have created high demand and prices (hype) for these CLNB's (City Lifestyle New Builds). I believe reality will kick in within the next 18mths and we will be looking at 30% de-preciations on some of these developments. That's bad news for the original purchasers but great news for the affordable housing problem.

Dr Bubbs thread

There are parallels here with the great railway building program of the 19th C. A load of hype was created over rail travel and investors plowed money into infrastructure development. The costs far outweighed the yields it could bring in and companies went bust......but the infrastructure was built and once sold off at a loss, a highly successful rail industry was able to prosper.

HOLA4414

Okay I've hauled Crown Heights over the coals enough for now..........Victory Hills turn:

It was the catchy little flyer that did it. With all its tips about buying off-plan properties at discount prices, the free Instant Access Properties seminar in a Bristol hotel looked enticing, writes Christopher Browne

Ray and Helle Jones went along to find out more. "They told us they could get hold of special deals that we couldn't find on the property websites or via estate agents," says Ray, a chiropractor. At the end of the session the Joneses were given details of another weekend seminar. They paid £2,395 and waited for their next session.

It was held in a hotel near Heathrow, where Instant Access Properties' consultants told the Joneses that if they joined the company's property club they would get favourable discounts on off-plans. If they did so in 48 hours, they could join for £5,000, plus a monthly direct debit of £119. So they signed up.

Three months later the company called to say it had found them an off-plan flat on a Fairview Homes development in Basingstoke. After producing a valuation for £220,000, for what was suggested was a comparable property, the company said the Joneses could buy the flat for £193,600. The couple agreed to go ahead, paying Instant Access Properties a £6,824 finder's fee and a £1,000 holding deposit.

"It seemed a really good deal, and at that sort of price we were very keen to sell on the apartment immediately to make some quick money," says Ray. The couple put down a further £21,000 as a deposit and approached Northern Rock for a mortgage. However, Northern Rock valued the property at £175,000, not £220,000. "We realised the valuation Instant Access Properties had given us was for an apartment in the block that was 700sq ft, with a balcony with outstanding views, whereas our flat is 635sq ft without a balcony. We were now very worried about the money we had spent on the property so far."

He contacted Instant Access Properties and spoke to Tony McKay, the chief executive, "who said that if a mistake had been made then they would make sure that I came out quits".

"They have been in contact about the resale of the flat: they have apparently found a buyer, who is offering only £185,000. If this goes through I will still get less than I paid on top of all the added costs," says Ray. "I have asked them for £190,000 and to compensate me for all the added cost, but they have not responded to this.

"We are in serious financial difficulties and have lost just under £30,000 on the deposits, mortgage interest, legal bills and administration fees that we've paid on this property."

Remember the 8 pillers to housing wealth:

1) Fraudulent prices

2) Excessive valuations

3) Aspirational prices

4) Bullish biases in indexing

5) Unrealistic projections

6) False yield support

7) Judas Goats & demand creation

8) The Pimped decor illusion

For more details: The 8 pillers of housing wealth

Edited by BTLOptingOut

HOLA4415

:o Free Poltergeist with every Penthouse :o

From the archive, first published Wednesday 6th Feb 2002.

SEVEN blocks of flats up to 11 storeys high near Basingstoke railway station are set to be given planning permission by Basingstoke council - despite the fact that part of the site is on a 17th century burial ground for plague victims.

The council's development control committee meeting tonight is being recommended by planning officers to grant permission for 482 one and two-bedroom flats and just two three-bedroom flats to be built at Down West Yard in Winterthur Way. (Edit: Development name: Victory Hill)

About the burial ground, planning officers say: "It is understood that a part of the site may have contained a burial ground associated with a 17th century pest house and a 19th century hospital for infectious diseases.

"The council's head of environmental health advised the landowner that....a further licence for the removal of remains must be obtained from the Home Office should any be found subsequently elsewhere on the site."

HOLA4416

A plus of these CLNB appartments is that the young city professional is close at hand to the social and leisure activities available that the town has to offer. No doubt the young city proffessional who is only a short commute (well okay 1hr 20) from London will appreciate the facilities at hand, not least now that licensing laws have been relaxed:

A BUSY Basingstoke town centre bar has been granted extended opening hours under the new Licensing Act - despite protests from nearby residents. Lloyds No 1 Bar, in Festival Square, will soon be able to stay open on Friday and Saturday nights until 2.30am and until 1am the rest of the week. This includes a 30-minute drinking up period at the end of each night.

They say they now plan to log every incident of excessive noise and anti-social behaviour with a view to appealing against the new licence, which will come into force at the end of November.

"It's pretty horrific for us living nearby. Once Lloyds closes, there are groups of people going past our house at quarter-of-an-hour intervals. We cannot afford to be continually woken up through the night as we have to get up and go to work the next day.”

"Public disorder already arises from those exiting Lloyds on a Friday and Saturday. The longer hours will greatly exacerbate the problem.”

"While eating and drinking is part of one's rights, so is getting a decent night's sleep and being fit for work in the morning. The thought of it going on every night is unacceptable."

"On a recent weekend, I was disturbed until 1.45am with people shouting and swearing.”

"I know what the target market is at Lloyds - it's a cattle market, not a family-orientated pub. I have a child who, over the past three years, has suffered continual sleep deprivation. This change is going to make it worse."

Lloyds had originally applied to extend its hours until 3am on Friday and Saturday nights and until 2am during the week, but Mr Walsh said they reduced these hours after reading representations from local residents.

No doubt the highly educated and affluent young professional will enjoy the unique blend of culture and upbringing that his new CLNB neighbours bring, especially those allocated the affordable units as part of LA housing policy.

4042.jpg

The balconies encouage a natural form of social contact where neighbours can exchange a chat and a glass of blue nun whilst admiring the view.

HOLA4417

Investors Provident:

http://www.investorsprovident.com/Europe/U...pment.asp/ID/35

Everything you would associate with the prestigious London addresses of Regents Park, Knightsbridge or The City brought to the centre of Basingstoke. Situated on the crest of Victory Hill overlooking Basingstoke, yet also on the doorstep of the town centre, the apartments and penthouses are truly at the heart of life in Basingstoke. Well located, contemporary, striking and stylish. At Victory Hill, you are part of Basingstoke, one of Hampshire’s fastest growing towns, close to London, Winchester, Farnborough and Reading. The heart of the South East offers a vibrant economy and a lively environment with an amazing range of recreational, shopping and commercial facilities. Right at your doorstep, a full engagement in modern urban living, Victory hill is ideally located within the heart of town centre, well connected to all modes of transport.

Step inside to a winning address and be impressed. Glass atriums form the entrance foyers to selected plots, expanses of space around and above providing a stunning first impression. The ambience and quality of a modern luxury hotel brought to your doorstep. Basingstoke has a vast array of leisure opportunities on offer with the centrally located Sports Centre and the Leisure Park to the west of town. At Basingstoke Sports Centre, you can enjoy a workout in the gym, or join various clubs including football, or badminton or simply relax in the health suite. The fun never stops at Basingstoke Leisure Park, where you can walk down the cobbled streets of Milestones, Hampshire’s living History Museum, or watch Wella Bison ice hockey team at the planet Ice Arena.

Remember the 8 Pillers of property wealth:

Type : Apartments

No. of plots: 14

Bedrooms: 1-2

Bathrooms: 1-2

Parking: Included

Price Range: £190k-£250k

Reservation Fee: £1,000

Exchange Deposit: 7.5%

Our Fees: 1% + VAT

vh_text1.gif

Edited by BTLOptingOut

HOLA4418
With Victory comes success. Success is what we seek and deserve. At work, in our leisure time, at home. Victory hill provides these things. A flagship scheme designed for city living providing one and two bedroom apartments and striking penthouses designed around landscaped courtyards and gardens. A new scheme situated in a prime location in the heart of Basingstoke town centre, offering commanding views over the townscape and the North Downs.

Victory comes with effort, here in the form of quality and attention to detail. Victory hill provides cutting edge architecture and contemporary design. Expanses of glass, sleek contours, curved balconies and private penthouse terraces and stylish foyers set the scene. Parking facilities and special bicycle storage facilities complete the picture.

Everything you would associate with the prestigious London addresses of Regents Park, Knightsbridge or The City brought to the centre of Basingstoke. Why compromise when you don't have to?

A man wanted in connection with the dismembered body found strewn across an estate has fled to America, police said Sunday.

Richard Markham, 27, left Heathrow airport at 1105 BST on Friday aboard British Airways flight 175 bound for John F Kennedy International Airport, New York.

He is wanted for questioning by Hampshire police after the severed head of Tristian Lovelock, 25, was found. A dog-walker made the gruesome discovery on Friday afternoon at a recreation ground in Basingstoke.

Okay some creative license there the estate in question wasn't actualy VH......

Edited by BTLOptingOut

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4419

Oh look! Appears that the novelty of that penthouse has worn off:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property/9329084

Oh but wait a moment.......doesn't look like you anticipate making much capital appreciation on that deal:

210 Alencon Link,

RG21 7TZ £310,000

29-Apr-2004

Looks like a recent reduction in asking price.....now asking £10K less than was paid for it back in April '04.

Oops :unsure:

But I reckon you've got a further £20K to drop before you even get a sniff of interest let alone an offer. I would bet hard cash on you not securing an offer above £250K (stamp duty threashold) on this baby :o

Edited by BTLOptingOut

HOLA4420

Okay, not Victory Hill or Crown Heights, but I've been tracking this Basingstoke Des Res down from 125K in 5K steps since last year. It was 114,995 yesterday... now 109,995. While the property isn't typical of its surroundings, it's a 3 bedder and South view is the right location for easy train station access and therefore London commuting with the increased salary that would bring.

Comes to something when you can buy this, earn 45K in London doing almost any job and still save 50K compared with any "Northern" property...

bh1.JPG

post-2575-1138971751.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4421

Just announced today on BBC South news... The IBM building in Basingstoke town centre WILL be converted into 300 (yes, 300!!!) "studio flats".

Anyone have a photo of this building? I remember one on this thread (or a similar one) a while ago.

Half the 300 flats will be social housing... right next door to custard towers... of which a lot is social housing now anyway.

Live the glamourous executive high-life in Basingstoke! Now, where did I put that housing association application form?

:D

HOLA4422

I don't have anything to add on an intellectual level e.g prices/reductions... but I overlook these flats by the station from my office.

Absolutely f!cking aweful.

Why would anyone actually *want* to live in these?

They look so depressing. If I ever need cheering up at work I just look out the window and see how much worse it could be.

Also a few people at my work know people who live in these flats, and the ones a bit further down the railway track - a lot of them have been invaded by housing benefit/subsidised crowd already.

Many p!ssed of people - 'I didn't pay £200K to live next to the chavs the council put in there for free! They are always vandalising stuff' etc etc

HOLA4423

Just announced today on BBC South news...

Yep here it is......

A major makeover that will turn one of the most prominent office blocks in Basingstoke town centre into new homes could start in the next few months.

The announcement comes after Berkeley Group Plc was granted planning permission by Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council last week to convert the 16 storey Alencon House into flats. Work is due to start in April.

After standing empty since 2001 when IBM left, the building will now be given a new lease of life thanks to a regeneration project which could be the forerunner of the transformation of nearby Basing View.

A total of 354 studio flats and one and two bedroom apartments will be created – and 142 of them will allocated for affordable rented and shared ownership housing. The new development also includes a ground floor crèche for up to 70 children.

New, mostly glass, extensions on all the three blocks that make up the currently outdated building will improve its look. The massive facelift will also include cleaning up the white exterior of the building and adding new windows.

As landowner of the Alencon House site, the borough council has been keen to find a way of bringing the 1960s building back into use.

Council leader Paul Harvey said: “This is a significant first partnership project with The Berkeley Group, who are set to regenerate the whole Basing View area that Alencon House overlooks.

“The company is already working with the council on the ambitious plans that will revitalise Basing View – the town’s commercial heart. This will build on the success of Festival Place. When we have developed the plans with the Berkeley Group we will be consulting as widely as possible. The Basing View regeneration will bring a lively mix of attractive new public areas, prestigious commercial buildings, shops, cafes and entertainment. This is a first step towards that.”

Deputy leader Cllr Brian Gurden said: “This building is on a pivotal site between the station, the Malls and Basing View. As one of the most accessible sites in the borough it presents a real opportunity. The refurbishment of this landmark building needs to be a lively and attractive mixed development which results in decent and quality homes that meet lifestyle needs.”

Angus Michie of the Berkeley Group said: “Specialising in urban regeneration schemes, we recognised the opportunities presented by the Alencon building to offer the convenience of town centre living. These flats will bring new life to an office block that has been empty for some time. The location offers access to facilities literally on the doorstep including shopping, leisure, jobs, the award-winning Eastrop Park and transport links. We hope to move forward with this scheme as quickly as possible.”

Berkeley was the developer of the award-winning innovative mixed use development of luxury apartments and retail facilities at Gunwharf Quays in Portsmouth.

354 studio apartments to add to the existing 300+ Victory Hill and 180+ Crown Heights......Apart from the last line in the above quote, there's no pretence of these being CLNB for "young professionals"....50% of these will be social housing with the remaining private sales.

Those that have "invested" in the exclusivity of Basingstoke "city" appartments are going to be hitting a very hard reality in 2006.

HOLA4424

1140518886-21.jpg

A LANDMARK office tower in the heart of Basingstoke is set to be transformed into hundreds of flats as part of a major new development.

Alençon House, the former IBM building, has been empty since the company moved out in 2001, but developers have been given the go-ahead to convert it into 354 flats and a crèche for up to 70 children.

The ambitious plans submitted by Berkeley Homes were approved by Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council's development control committee last Wednesday.

Councillor George Hood said converting the site into flats was better than leaving it empty. He said: "This will bring new life back into the area. I think it's an ugly building only as long as it stands empty."

However, Cllr Phil Heath was one of those unhappy. He said: "I'm totally against it. We don't need this type of development in the town centre. If we needed high-density developments, its design would need to match the character of Basingstoke."

In the approved scheme, the three blocks on the site, situated at Alençon Link, will each be extended by two storeys, resulting in Block A increasing to 18 floors, Block B to nine and Block C to eight.

The ground-floor level in Block A will house the crèche.

The 354 dwellings will include 81 studio flats, 137 one-bedroomed flats and 136 two-bedroomed flats. A total of 142 of these flats will be designated affordable housing.

Car parking for 184 vehicles and stands for 509 bicycles will be provided.

The council received 26 letters of objection and two owners of property at Crown Heights spoke out against the plan at the meeting, expressing concerns about loss of privacy.

I should say they might be concerned at the potential impact on their property values too.

354 dwellings with 184 car park spaces sounds like a potential issue in the making!

Yet another Penthouse

Yet another "Penthouse" comes on the market......perhapes it's one of those concerned residents worried about the impact on privacy.

One of the few penthouse apartments within this sought after scheme in the heart of the Town Centre. ....................... a walk around roof garden offering dramatic panoramic views of Basingstoke and the surrounding countryside.

If it is, that walk round roof garden would seem a hell of a lot less appealing!

Basingstoke local girl chosen by Berkeley Group for marketing campaign of Alencon house development.

vicky_pollard.jpg

Edited by BTLOptingOut

HOLA4425

Prime example

We were foolish enough to buy a property at a supposed 15% discount from Barratts. (supposedly they had only two houses left and wanted to sell them quickly to include the sales in their annual accounts and so had reduced the price) It turns out the price we paid was the market value of the property. We cannot let it and if we sell it we will make a substantial loss because of mortgage payments and penalties/legal costs. I realise many other people have been caught by this, particularly novices to property investment like ourselves. We intend to take Barratts to court on the basis of misrepresentation..............Whether we succeed or not, we intend to get publicity for this practice and hopefully prevent others falling into the same trap. I think they get away with it because people feel they cannot win in the Courts and just write off their loss. There is also the fact that you feel such an idiot for having fallen for it. If you just shrug it off (I can't afford to) and write it up to experience, they will continue market property in this way.

I don't believe the above is from a Crown Heights or Victory Hill resident but it is valid.

The majority of Victory Hill and Crown Heights properties where sold under this "discount" basis........

Those that are now looking to re-sell will need to come to terms with the fact that the "discount" was a marketing/sales illusion.

.....either that or they will need to console themselves in the 10%-15% "drop" in their properties "value".