House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JohnG

If The Hpc Has Already Happened Over On Sp.....

..... as witnessed by the amount of 'noise' there is over there about buying BMV ('motivated' sellers etc) wouldn't that be a sensible tactic for STR bods over here to use to get their own roof over their heads 'now' rather than in 5 (or whatever) years time?

..... as witnessed by the amount of 'noise' there is over there about buying BMV ('motivated' sellers etc) wouldn't that be a sensible tactic for STR bods over here to use to get their own roof over their heads 'now' rather than in 5 (or whatever) years time?

haven't you heard Johnny boy, renting is the new owning :P

BMV? No such thing that is the market value, the "motivated" sellers are the ones that are selling property, those that have it listed at higher prices don't seem to be sellers at all, they'd like to think so but most aren't, hence the falling transaction numbers.

If the BTL'ers are the ones buyng where is the real market level? Wwhere the FTB's an alike will participate, not at this level I think.

BMV? No such thing that is the market value, the "motivated" sellers are the ones that are selling property, those that have it listed at higher prices don't seem to be sellers at all, they'd like to think so but most aren't, hence the falling transaction numbers.

If the BTL'ers are the ones buyng where is the real market level? Wwhere the FTB's an alike will participate, not at this level I think.

Nice logic though eh? If all the action is in BMV, then the crash/correction is afoot. Non? :D

Nice logic though eh? If all the action is in BMV, then the crash/correction is afoot. Non? :D

Yeah, but you try explaining that to the fools on SP.

They seem to think that buying below market value means they're making money, when all they're doing is chasing the market down.

Better them than me.

The way I see it is that they have already factored in the 'correction'. Are there many people here who think the 'correction' will be more than 20% in nominal terms?

AIUI the SP bods take actual recent selling prices , rather than asking prices as the starting point for negotiations.

The point of my OP is to ask given the strength of position of somebody who has STR, would it make sense to adopt a BMV approach to homebuying, rather than waiting for a correction and paying 'full retail price' later?

They seem to think that buying below market value means they're making money, when all they're doing is chasing the market down.
Again the market has to go down a long way before they are out of pocket.

Something that occurred to me is that 'Honest Joe' your local used car dealer seems to make a decent living buying and selling depreciating assets. Isn't that just what the SP BMVers are doing, but with more zeros?

to me BMV implies that you could buy something and then immediately re-sell it at the supposed market value which would be significantly above the price paid

in reality, if you bought a flat for 15% below asking price and put it back on the market immediately, you would struggle to even get your money back