House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JohnG

City Centre Apartments And Harlem

I remember watching an Open University programme about 15 years ago which expained the reason why Harlem became a slum/ghetto area.

Apparently it was all down to massive speculative building of apartments to rent, for which, it turns out, there was very little demand. The net result was that rents rapidly came down to 'affordable' levels, and lots of 'poor' people moved into the area.

Will we see this repeated in our cities over the coming years, I wonder?

I remember watching an Open University programme about 15 years ago which expained the reason why Harlem became a slum/ghetto area.

Apparently it was all down to massive speculative building of apartments to rent, for which, it turns out, there was very little demand. The net result was that rents rapidly came down to 'affordable' levels, and lots of 'poor' people moved into the area.

yes - i think we will.

I would be tempted by a new build flat.. But I would be very careful of the location.

the excess of BTL's have pushed a lot over to housing association or whoever it is that rents to those on support..

I am already seeing new build estates full of a few struggling profesionals and many more single mum's....

Look at the litter on the streets.. if you see a lot of rothman's cigarette butts then walk away...

Many of these new estates are heading only one way... and that is not toward an area you would want to live in..

London's already a slum. So what's the difference between a city populated by white, cosmopolitan coke-heads or drug-addled Rasterfarians? They're all scum

I would be tempted by a new build flat.. But I would be very careful of the location.

the excess of BTL's have pushed a lot over to housing association or whoever it is that rents to those on support..

I am already seeing new build estates full of a few struggling profesionals and many more single mum's....

Look at the litter on the streets.. if you see a lot of rothman's cigarette butts then walk away...

Many of these new estates are heading only one way... and that is not toward an area you would want to live in..

Irrespective of what the neighbours are like, most of the developments I know are just generally unpleasant and certainly more expensive than older places of a comparable size in more pleasant settings.

I expect to walk out of a patio door and not free fall 20ft and land in the middle of an dual-carridgeway, call me old fashioned! :lol:

Aside from the build quality, anything post 2003 seems to be universally clad in wood, as you say many of these flats are in awful locations with little supporting infrastructure, though they often boast of "good transport links"!

During my recent travels there was a residential block right next to a slip road at Junction 9 of the M6, I'll try and get a picture if I go past again, their address must literally be "The Slip Road, J9, M6", they wouldn't have dared to build a council block in such an awful place a few decades ago, but now days it seems useless scrub land in terrible locations is deemed fit for cramped private accommodation at £150k a pop, gotta hit those density targets, use every last pocket of land no matter how awful and gotta squeeze council tax revenue out of every square inch.

Plus..

and Iam not exagerating in any way..

The build quality of new builds I have seen is ludicrously low..

shocking..

terrible..

Partition walls between houses that they want over £300,000 for.

In my lttle corner of the US....YES!

Even I am sure that those cardboard boxes will lose thier value. The pricetags, and service charges on the 'modern flats' show the horror of the situation. To be forced into buying one of those make me shudder.

Even I am sure that those cardboard boxes will lose thier value. The pricetags, and service charges on the 'modern flats' show the horror of the situation. To be forced into buying one of those make me shudder.

Whats a forced buyer? :lol::lol::lol::huh:

London's already a slum. So what's the difference between a city populated by white, cosmopolitan coke-heads or drug-addled Rasterfarians? They're all scum

:lol: