House Price Crash Forum

B B C Admit Holiday Shopping Down

HOLA441

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4574374.stm

The frenetic early start to the sales season was not sustained with fewer shoppers on the High Street between Christmas and New Year than last year.
Figures from retail analysts FootFall show an overall 12% fall in the number of shoppers between 26-30 December than during the same period last year.

What next? An admission that houses aren't doing so well also?

HOLA442

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4574374.stm

The frenetic early start to the sales season was not sustained with fewer shoppers on the High Street between Christmas and New Year than last year.
Figures from retail analysts FootFall show an overall 12% fall in the number of shoppers between 26-30 December than during the same period last year.

What next? An admission that houses aren't doing so well also?

I hope dogbox isn't to disapointed

HOLA443

Made the big mistake of visiting a large shopping mall on Saturday. Never seen so much junk packed onto racks, looked liked they pulled out yesteryears fashions they couldn't sell in previous sales, complete with lipstick stains and holes made by the sale label.

Can't say I saw anything that was worth buying, what with the cost of petrol, car park and something to eat, I certainately didn't save anything. It cost money and wasn't an enjoyable experience.

HOLA444

complete with lipstick stains

that is actually quite telling - i remember in the last recession my sister in law used to buy clothes, wear them over the christmas party season and then take them back in the new year for a refund. the cheeky cah! :D

i bet if those little black dresses you saw could speak, they would tell of passionate clinches behind the photocopier with justin from accounts and of long lingering significant glances as the M&S vol au vents and deep filled mince pies are passed around...

blimey i'm turning into right fred's dead :lol:

HOLA445
HOLA446

Made the big mistake of visiting a large shopping mall on Saturday. Never seen so much junk packed onto racks, looked liked they pulled out yesteryears fashions they couldn't sell in previous sales, complete with lipstick stains and holes made by the sale label.

Can't say I saw anything that was worth buying, what with the cost of petrol, car park and something to eat, I certainately didn't save anything. It cost money and wasn't an enjoyable experience.

To be honest they are nothing but yet another con to get your money these days. Back in the old days there were a genuine sale to ship surplus seasonal stock before the new lines came in. But these days they are simply a way to get more punters in....

take for example somebody like Virgin or HMV they have thousands of DVD's that they have shipped in especially for the "sales". They arrange with the supplier to buy in these DVD's at a super cut price based on volume then sell on to the public at a profit margin which is similar to normal stock.

It used to be the public doing the shops a favour, this was why there were some genuine bargins around because they discounted stuff people really wanted, but these days it's just another tool to extract your spare cash, this time however I think it might back fire on them a little bit.

The money used to be made before christmas, now they try and make even more after, the problem for them is that people have got wise. One thing can be sure and thats that prices won't go up after christmas so people hang on.