House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Converted Lurker

The Hpc Forum In It`s Early Days

How do you kick start a new forum into life? Did we start with 7 members here who told seven etc...? Love this place to bits, but sometimes I get the feeling that a forum focusing specifically on the issues confronted by ftbs would be more appropriate perhaps stripping out all the high brow economics and being a bit more positive re. the changes that will occur over the next few years. Obviously it would need to have a link and recommendation back to here. Problem is posting on a new forum, would it be a bit weird? I`ve only ever posted on footy forums and here, all were well established by the time I found them.

Personally I think the introduction page should be more of an explantion of what is happening..

Showing slowdowns..

Showing drops..

showing housing stock increasing against population since the start of the boom..

showing sipps..

showing btl yields and mortgage pull outs..

showing what is happening..

perhaps..

I know what you mean about the lack of a specific First Time Buyer focus.

However, I think that this eclectic mix is what makes the forum such a great place. It has posts that range from the banal to the serious.

In that sense it is a challenge to the general dumbing down that goes on.

I know what you mean about the lack of a specific First Time Buyer focus.

However, I think that this eclectic mix is what makes the forum such a great place. It has posts that range from the banal to the serious.

In that sense it is a challenge to the general dumbing down that goes on.

Yes it is a great place, the surprising find for me, despite the seriousness of the main topic, has been the humour. I have had a lot of spurt coffee onto monitor moments in the last twelve months. :D

Guest Charlie The Tramp

How do you kick start a new forum into life? Did we start with 7 members here who told seven etc...? Love this place to bits, but sometimes I get the feeling that a forum focusing specifically on the issues confronted by ftbs would be more appropriate perhaps stripping out all the high brow economics and being a bit more positive re. the changes that will occur over the next few years. Obviously it would need to have a link and recommendation back to here. Problem is posting on a new forum, would it be a bit weird? I`ve only ever posted on footy forums and here, all were well established by the time I found them.

Many of the old members came over to this forum from the original unregistered forum. The old forum got very hot in debate and abusive insults became the order of the day, although the majority of the threads were first class. I would say in the early days the new forum started off with 300 members, TTRTR is one of the original bulls from the old forum. I often wonder what response Evil Sam would receive on this forum today, he always appeared in the early hours left provocative posts and left. Myself, yes I am also one of the old forum throw outs. :D

I always imagined Evil Sam was a girl, form one of Evil Sam's post on the old forum He/She said the reason why they posted late at night/early hours was because He/She worked in a all hours internet cafe type thing near a tube station or rail station in London, do not know if that is true or not.

Many of the old members came over to this forum from the original unregistered forum. The old forum got very hot in debate and abusive insults became the order of the day, although the majority of the threads were first class. I would say in the early days the new forum started off with 300 members, TTRTR is one of the original bulls from the old forum. I often wonder what response Evil Sam would receive on this forum today, he always appeared in the early hours left provocative posts and left. Myself, yes I am also one of the old forum throw outs. :D

Abuse on a forum re. property values..you couldn`t make it up :( D`ya reckon there`s enough subject matter for ftbs exclusively Charlie, or do you see tumble weed?

Edited by Converted Lurker

I always imagined Evil Sam was a girl, form one of Evil Sam's post on the old forum He/She said the reason why they posted late at night/early hours was because He/She worked in a all hours internet cafe type thing near a tube station or rail station in London, do not know if that is true or not.

nah. hes probably some lonely internet saddo with a small wedge/deposit of cash but no social life or house. came onto the site by accident and has since developed a bad habit/neurosis.

what 0- hey thats me..>!!!!!

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Abuse on a forum re. property values..you couldn`t make it up :( D`ya reckon there`s enough subject matter for ftbs exclusively Charlie, or do you see tumble weed?

If you remember the old forum started just before IRs were raised to 3.75%. The bears claimed rates would rise which we now know was correct ending at 4.75% August 2004 and the bulls claimed they would only rise to 4% or remain on hold at 3.75%. It was very heated with BBB passionately pushing his ground and TTRTR more bullish than he is today. ( All IMHO TTRTR ). It was a strange year 2005 and 2006 will IMO really show which way the market is heading, but in my mind with all the bad news coming forth it can only lead to a downward trend. This forum is successful because it brings together many who have great knowledge in their own fields whether they be bear or genuine bull and the assortment of different generations gives this forum greater credibility.

Mark5290 Posted Today, 12:01 AM

Evil Sam did register on this forum but has never posted.

Evil Sam Members 13-August 2004 Posts 0

i can remember the times before this site. before they built this great new forum.

it was all in black and white and was powered by a lancashire boiler which produced steam to drive the chumley and watt 4hp mill engine. images were not available, but woodcarvings we popular.

moderators had to work a 16 hour shift and some had worked in the forum since leaving school at 12. every whitsun the forum would close and the entire staff would holiday in blackpool. promanading, looking at the tower or attending the many stalls and digital side/freakshows.

digital accidents were commonplace and keyboards didnt have the safety mechs in place like todays keyboard covers and swearword removers. deaths were frequent and long term illness such as carpal syndrome and lock finger were abundant within the forum communities.

a sample from one of the early posts is as follows:

"hear ye, good peeple of furum. sold ye barn and hoose to yon squire for abundance of plentyfull sun bounties. now tending livestock and hoping to again be blessed with tier or fallow for less groats than before. yee interst rates are the devils work. witchcraft and highest saucery is foretold next year as the boe fiddle the figures once again.

long before that the forum was even more primitive.

for deep within the outer borders of mexico aztec caves have been discovered within hidden forests.

once owners of the empire of the world, the aztecs were known for beleif in ritual and supernatural powers. sacrifice of the young was common. recent discoveries offer glimpses into this past timewith crude cave drawings and illustrations. past peaks and troughs are recorded on cave walls with dyes made from crushed berries and fruits. some even say the pdf sections were written in blood. one particular image which springs to mind are the hunters beating down a btl stag while a large interest rate soars high in the sky above as an sign from the gods of an impending crash.

before that, there were also the dinosaurs of renting. maxed out almostmythical creatures with large grapping hands and huge greedy eyes. they would also hunt in packs seeking out the prime flesh of any young eggs or ftbs. tyranosoaring rents and dipslowdocus were 2 of many specemins.

and priceratops.

Edited by right_freds_dead

long before that the forum was even more primitive.

for deep within the outer borders of mexico aztec caves have been discovered within hidden forests.

once owners of the empire of the world, the aztecs were known for beleif in ritual and supernatural powers. sacrifice of the young was common. recent discoveries offer glimpses into this past timewith crude cave drawings and illustrations. past peaks and troughs are recorded on cave walls with dyes made from crushed berries and fruits. some even say the pdf sections were written in blood. one particular image which springs to mind are the hunters beating down a btl stag while a large interest rate soars high in the sky above as an sign from the gods of an impending crash.

before that, there were also the dinosaurs of renting. maxed out almostmythical creatures with large grapping hands and huge greedy eyes. they would also hunt in packs seeking out the prime flesh of any young eggs or ftbs. tyranosoaring rents and dipslowdocus were 2 of many specemins.

and priceratops.

For some reason you just reminded me of Jorge Luis Borges. You really do have a fertile imagination.

before that....

there was the forming of the crash. huge clusters of priced out ftbs circled by radials of crumbling frozen rock and barrat grade magma. the btl universe was in its infancy and we believe that the earliest landlord stars were formed by sheer sentiment. as they grew in size they created gravity which in turn attracted more passing rocks and media producers. within time their density grew so large they becane to react and produce heat and light.

around these early btl stars the rock formations and frequent news asteriods collided to form the beginings of boiling planets. between 50-70 million light years formed the more favourable planets for btl life. this being perfect to receive heat and fuel from the sun and also caused seasons of change through the axis from the gravitational pull of the forming sun. often known as spin.

as with anything in the universe. nothing is forever, and it is inevitable that one day the huge gravitational pull of btl with become to dense to support itself and our planet with begin to spin off its axis and onto a collision course for the overheating sun. a big bang - or crash will occour and the very same process with start again as in a cycle.

once owners of the empire of the world, the aztecs were known for beleif in ritual and supernatural powers. sacrifice of the young was common. recent discoveries offer glimpses into this past timewith crude cave drawings and illustrations. past peaks and troughs are recorded on cave walls with dyes made from crushed berries and fruits.

I suppose these drawings and illustrations instantly added 20,000 cacao to the value of the cave.

Did the bears scare everyone so much that they all hid in their caves?

My previous question as to whether we could have a look at the old forum for nostalgia & comparisons sake if it still existed fell on deaf ears, but i found some of it on the web archive 'Way back machine'

Oh happy days :D

http://web.archive.org/web/20031001000000-...174956598&cpv=2

http://web.archive.org/web/20031001000000-...8/fetch/241426/

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

My previous question as to whether we could have a look at the old forum for nostalgia & comparisons sake if it still existed fell on deaf ears, but i found some of it on the web archive 'Way back machine'

Oh happy days :D

http://web.archive.org/web/20031001000000-...174956598&cpv=2

http://web.archive.org/web/20031001000000-...8/fetch/241426/

Whoooaaa....it took some time to build up critical mass then eh :blink:

I remember logging onto the old forum, I started logging onto HPC around 2 years ago. My how things have changed.!

Lou

Charlie, did the old forum run alongside the new forum for a while? I'm wondering what you mean by "many of the old members.." rather than "all".

Also, is there an official archive of the old posts rather than www.archive.org? It would be good to see.