House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Ftse's Fine Year --did You Benefit?

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/31122005/17/ftse-s...ent-nikkei.html

BRITAIN'S blue-chip shares closed 2005 up more than 16 per cent yesterday - but it was London's counterpart in Tokyo that seized the limelight with a ninja-like 40 per cent leap over the year.
The FTSE 100 index closed down 19.5 points
at 5,618.8 on the final half-day's trading, but up over 800 points on the year.

Seems that the VI's banging on about the City bonuses going into houses may have been wrong.

How many on HPC invested in a stock market in 2005? I put some of our STR cash into international mutual funds that covered Europe and Japan and saw growth of around 17% (Oakmark Global International Fund, Fidelity Diversified International Fund).

If we had kept our house we may have lost 5-10% :lol::lol::lol:

If you bought an average house in the UK on January 1st 2005 and sold on 31st December 2005 how much would you have made? Taking into account stamp duty, mortgage costs etc?

Would it be true to say that it was the WORST investment anyone could have made? With prices headed up by 3% in 2006 (if the VI spin is correct) how much better would a house be as an investment this year? How about 2007?

Looks like the next few years will be a terrible time to invest in houses doesn't it? Will this reality be the trigger for the HPC?

yup.really good year here.

I have held JPMF nat resources since '04.....yet another stellar year.

bought in on gold jan last year at $415/oz@ $1.91,have loaded up more since.

rotated my ISA into jap equities in september,about 35% gain after divis and currency adjust since.

I'm continuing to hold all these next year and might have a bit of a look at things like ITV/reuters.

...also gonna keep a close eye on 888,wm hill and hilton....all look tempting but need to clarify the iran stuff first,if it's just local and won't disrupt world cup then I'll be having a flutter so to speak.

best index to be in was the egyptian top 30 stocks, up 163% - predicting another good year coming up - haven't got a clue how you invest in it though!

nor me,did see that bit on bloomberg.

that's the reward you get for taking higher risk though.

I'll stick to the major indices,I'm not that brave!!

(Oakmark Global International Fund, Fidelity Diversified International Fund).

Merrill Lynch UK small companies (FT250) and Legg Mason Japanese fund have done ok here, the small caps have done very well :D

Better than becoming a wannabe-Van Hoogstraten.

Edited by BuyingBear

Seems that the VI's banging on about the City bonuses going into houses may have been wrong.

Did anyone notice - when the stock market was going down then house prices were bound to go up because renting out was the only way to make your pension grow? When the stock market goes up then the house prices are going to be propped up by the City bonuses. They've forgotten about pensions.

Did anyone notice - when the stock market was going down then house prices were bound to go up because renting out was the only way to make your pension grow? When the stock market goes up then the house prices are going to be propped up by the City bonuses. They've forgotten about pensions.

Assuming the trader already owns a home (which is a certainty) then why would they drop their money into property rather than the markets that generated the bonus in the first place? There are some not so bright souls in the city who prosper thanks to good timing, but the sort of people who will get the major bonuses of the kind that could prop up a local market already see the property market for exactly what it, and leave it well alone.

Assuming the trader already owns a home (which is a certainty) then why would they drop their money into property rather than the markets that generated the bonus in the first place? There are some not so bright souls in the city who prosper thanks to good timing, but the sort of people who will get the major bonuses of the kind that could prop up a local market already see the property market for exactly what it, and leave it well alone.

Some city bonuses will go into BTLs, but this is going to be drowned out by the "retail funds" switching from property to shares.

Why do these *****ers get such big bonuses? Any idiot can make money in a bull market. They should fine them when they lose money in a bear market. It's the biggest scam in the land...get little Harry a job in the city, and he will cream off the profits from other peoples pensions in the good years and sit back and laugh in the lean years. I got offered a job in the City with a Jap investment bank the same day I got offered a research job with Pfizer after I finished my Ph.D., I took the Pfizer the job, no matter how much money Nomura waved at me, I couldn't justify squandering my education and talent on chasing numbes round a screen all day just to get fat at other people's expenses. They really are bigger vermin than estate agents...they make nothing and take everything.

Edited by large

Why do these *****ers get such big bonuses? Any idiot can make money in a bull market. They should fine them when they lose money in a bear market. It's the biggest scam in the land...get little Harry a job in the city, and he will cream off the profits from other peoples pensions in the good years and sit back and laugh in the lean years. I got offered a job in the City with a Jap investment bank the same day I got offered a research job with Pfizer after I finished my Ph.D., I took the Pfizer the job, no matter how much money Nomura waved at me, I couldn't justify squandering my education and talent on chasing numbes round a screen all day just to get fat at other people's expenses. They really are bigger vermin than estate agents...they make nothing and take everything.

If (like me) you don't like the fact they get fat bonuses you don't have to contribute: simply make your own investment decisions.

If (like me) you don't like the fact they get fat bonuses you don't have to contribute: simply make your own investment decisions.

on the money.

I'm a great believer in DYOR. These people get paid for their "expertise" but in truth you are handing over fees and trust for pretty questionable track records. Essentially, they get paid for relieving the investor of his/her responsibility for investment decisions - but of course, most of the agreements signed contain enough caveats for them to simply shrug when things go mamaries perpendicular.

I do trade my own shares on line ( and beat most of these fund managers, just showing what a bunch of amateur muppets they really are) but I don't have that luxury with my company pension scheme. Also, your/our tax money is going in their pockets as they will be trading shares owned by goverment pension funds etc.