House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Could The Taxman Spy On Your House?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/01012006/140/taxman-spy-house.html

Tax inspectors have considered using aerial photography to spot home improvements that might hike up a property's council tax bill.But a spokeswoman for Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott said it was decided the "spy in the sky" technology would not be a useful tool.The spokeswoman added that there are "absolutely no current plans" to put the scheme into operation.

Aerial surveillance of our homes? This says one thing: vote this government out ASAP.

Seems that the US system of government may be best where a president serves two terms and then out. Third term governments are dangerous, even dear Margaret's government started to lose a sense of reality in the closing days of their 3rd term. That Labour are considering such monstrous infringements on privacy should set alarm bells ringing. Next thing will be sending old age pensioners to prison for not paying inflated council tax bills.

I read somewhere that the idea of implanting a chip on the right hand or forehead will be required to buy or sell. That way credit card fraud is eliminated and stolen id a thing of the past. A wonderful tool in the hands of a government seeking absolute control. This Labour government are pointing us in that direction. Shades of Revelation Chapter 13?

Edited by Realistbear

The taxman has had this right since taxmen were invented - it is not a

NuLab invention.

However, I might agree with the byline for this thread,

iff David Cameron stands up and declares that he would

repeal any laws that woudl allow the above to happen

(not holding my breath there - after all the Poll Tax and its hated

brother the Council Tax were his own ideologues' creation in

the first place)

ABB

We need a new tax based on ability to pay. Council tax/poll tax/rates are all unfair as they are based on ownership of a home. The best solution (and this would eliminate the need for government to hire spies and work out who has a view to tax etc.) is a sales tax. Take existing VAT and allocate 10% to local government and let central government keep the other 7.5%. Government payrolls will haver to be cut but thats a good thing.

I'm not sure how you can simultaneously be talking about "dear Margaret" and complaining about tax rates when according to the Adam Smith Institute, hardly apologists for New Labour, the tax burden is currently lower than it was at any time during Thatcher's eleven years in office, except maybe for immediately after she took over from Labour in 1979 and hadn't yet put taxes up.

http://www.adamsmith.org/tax/short-history.php

We need a new tax based on ability to pay. Council tax/poll tax/rates are all unfair as they are based on ownership of a home. The best solution (and this would eliminate the need for government to hire spies and work out who has a view to tax etc.) is a sales tax. Take existing VAT and allocate 10% to local government and let central government keep the other 7.5%. Government payrolls will haver to be cut but thats a good thing.

The lib dems idea of a second earnings tax seems reasonable to me even though i would end up paying alot more than i do now it just seems more fair... unless there is a blazing fault with it - ive not looked into it that much just the idea seems ok

The lib dems idea of a second earnings tax seems reasonable to me even though i would end up paying alot more than i do now it just seems more fair... unless there is a blazing fault with it - ive not looked into it that much just the idea seems ok

The Libdems are on the right track but my guess is that we would have the new tax while retaining the old taxes. If our VAT is all going into the Black Hole (EU) what the point of it?

Data gathering and spying has become an obsession within government (and many large organisations). If you want to open a bank account for example, they want photocopies of your Passport, Birth certificate, marriage certificate, utility bills etc. They get credit reports, employer references and the ask numerous questions. Government agencies can get access to this information and in some cases it is swapped or sold to other commercial organisations.

My bank fires a barrage of identification questions 'to protect my privacy' when I phone them up. If they gave a hoot about my privacy, they would stop collecting data on me (which any number of bank employees have access to).

Data gathering and spying has become an obsession within government (and many large organisations). If you want to open a bank account for example, they want photocopies of your Passport, Birth certificate, marriage certificate, utility bills etc. They get credit reports, employer references and the ask numerous questions. Government agencies can get access to this information and in some cases it is swapped or sold to other commercial organisations.

My bank fires a barrage of identification questions 'to protect my privacy' when I phone them up. If they gave a hoot about my privacy, they would stop collecting data on me (which any number of bank employees have access to).

Nothing new about the data gathering - I suspect the charge was lead

by the bigcorps long before the govt wised up.

I suspect also that our curent awareness of theextent of data gathering

is due in part to the Data Protection Act - until then, nobody had any

idea what or how much data was being harvested from them.

Oh, and those questions to 'protect your privacy' are really to

stop any old hoodie with a mobile ringing up and empyting your account.

Apparently, the 'bank' person has access to each and every bit of

authentication info you provided - a very fallible system, particularly if the

operative on the line is outside British jurusdiction.

As regards secretive data gathering - the digibox in your living room

is probably the worst culprit, especially if you start using 'interactive'

features.

ABB

Dog, don’t you know it's all 'for our own good' and 'only the criminals have anything to fear’

Rather like locking up people who might possibly be thinking about maybe committing a crime (e.g. mass murder) it goes against everything the Great British Democracy has stood for for hundreds of years. It has taken a long long time to get the rights of citizens protected by law and these laws are being over-ridden at will and almost without debate on the grounds that it is for our own good and protection.

People need to control the Government not the other way around. We need proportional representation and a modification of the US system where the President (in our case prime minister) can only serve two terms. The idea of this is to stop half-wits like George Bush or megalomaniacs like Tony Bliar from ****ing up the country beyond repair.

"Aerial surveillance of our homes? This says one thing: vote this government out ASAP"

And put who in power !

Our MP's are all in bed togeather, we just pay the bills from taxes so the MP's keep putting them up

Revolt is the order of the day as the system is broken

Edited by Justice

And put who in power !

Our MP's are all in bed togeather, we just pay the bills from taxes so the MP's keep putting them up

Revolt is the order of the day as the system is broken

Keep governments "turned over" and not allow them to stay in power too long. 3 terms builds arrogance and lack of accountability. We have had enough of Nu Labour's HPI and Gordon's SIPP U-turn will hardly redress the damage done to the economy (debt--high street crash--rising unemployment--FTB price out etc)so its time for a change.

We need a new tax based on ability to pay. Council tax/poll tax/rates are all unfair as they are based on ownership of a home.

I'm sure you meant this but Council Tax is based on POSSESSION of a home, not necessarily ownership, which is why tenants pay poll tax (oops sorry "council tax").

VP

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/01012006/140/taxman-spy-house.html

Tax inspectors have considered using aerial photography to spot home improvements that might hike up a property's council tax bill.But a spokeswoman for Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott said it was decided the "spy in the sky" technology would not be a useful tool.The spokeswoman added that there are "absolutely no current plans" to put the scheme into operation.

Aerial surveillance of our homes? This says one thing: vote this government out ASAP.

Seems that the US system of government may be best where a president serves two terms and then out. Third term governments are dangerous, even dear Margaret's government started to lose a sense of reality in the closing days of their 3rd term. That Labour are considering such monstrous infringements on privacy should set alarm bells ringing. Next thing will be sending old age pensioners to prison for not paying inflated council tax bills.

And the right to keep and bear arms. That'd make Tony and his odious minority regime take the public far more seriously!