House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

New E A Tactic?

I am visiting relatives in the West Byfleet-Weybridge-Walton area of Surrey and was told that some houses are for sale that no longer display "for sale signs." Walking around I have seen a few (very few) "sold-stc" signs.

Is this a new tactic to conceal the large number of homes on the market? If you go onto www.findaproperty.com for houses for sale/rent in this area there are hundreds on the market but you do not see hundreds of signs.

Anyone else aware of this tactic? Could this be real desparation setting in?

Bristol BS7 is like that - I see far more Sold stc signs than For Sale (though neither in great quantity), but when I check Rightmove, there are for more houses For Sale than Sold in the area. Oddly enough, I was standing at a bus stop in the area a couple of weeks before Christmas when I saw a man get out of a van, put up a Sold sign outside a house which had no For Sale sign outside it, then drive off. A couple of days later, the Sold sign was sticking out of their rubbish bin. Makes you wonder, eh?

I have heard of EAs getting their employees to put up signs to stimulate the market. The very worst nightmare for an EA is a forest of for sale signs. Nothing would panic the market as much. Makes sense that all the houses that are actually for sale will not be advertizsed in such a way to spook the herd.

Eg just checked on findaproperty.com and there are over 800 homes for sale in the West-Byfleet-Walton area and you hardly see a "for sale" sign.

Sorry to put the damper on this one but I guess their local council has put their foot down on for sale signs.

My local council has banned all agents board in and around the city, it makes the place look untidy and gives a rather cheap look to the place. I think its a good idea, with the internet now, all houses are on with either prime location or rightmove and if they are not then I would sack the agent and get someone who is.

But---there are some signs just very few. If there was a ban you would not see any. My suspicion is that there are many more houses for sale than signs would indicate. There are a few sold-stc signs also which shows no ban on signs in this area.

Many vendors nowadays choose not to have a sign up, especially if the property isn't shifting. ;)

Makes sense. Nothing worse than a property with multiple agent's signs cluttering the front aspect. In a falling market it probably makes little sense to put a sign up anyway as drive-by sales will be very rare.

I have to say whenever I have put my house on the market I have always refused a sale board.

For several reasons, they encourage burglars to view a property and case it out for a later unacompanied viewing in the middle of the night. It encourages nosy neighbours to come in and see your dirty skidders on the bedroom floor, and it also gives the neighbours something to gossip about.

I have to say whenever I have put my house on the market I have always refused a sale board.

For several reasons, they encourage burglars to view a property and case it out for a later unacompanied viewing in the middle of the night. It encourages nosy neighbours to come in and see your dirty skidders on the bedroom floor, and it also gives the neighbours something to gossip about.

Burgulars and nosey neighbours dont have internet access? :blink::blink::blink::huh:

Sorry to put the damper on this one but I guess their local council has put their foot down on for sale signs.

My local council has banned all agents board in and around the city, it makes the place look untidy and gives a rather cheap look to the place. I think its a good idea, with the internet now, all houses are on with either prime location or rightmove and if they are not then I would sack the agent and get someone who is.

Laurejon,

I don't think any council has the power to do this.

Which council please, and which statute allows councils to ban a sign? What bye law are they using and when was this announced? What area does it cover and how long has it been in force? If the council has a website, then what page on that website mentions a ban on for sale signs? Who enforces this "law" and how many prosecutions have resulted?

VP

Laurejon,

I don't think any council has the power to do this.

Which council please, and which statute allows councils to ban a sign? What bye law are they using and when was this announced? What area does it cover and how long has it been in force? If the council has a website, then what page on that website mentions a ban on for sale signs? Who enforces this "law" and how many prosecutions have resulted?

VP

I am pretty sure a normal sized board is permitted by law regardless of the local authority even in a conservation area

In the flash parts of central london which are on long leases from the Duke of Westminster etc I think the leases sometimes forbid it.

Another instance where they are sometimes banned is on new developments where the purchase agreements from the developer may restrict sale boards while the developer is selling new units

Edited by johnnyw

I am pretty sure a normal sized board is permitted by law regardless of the local authority even in a conservation area

In the flash parts of central london which are on long leases from the Duke of Westminster etc I think the leases sometimes forbid it.

Another instance where they are sometimes banned is on new developments where the purchase agreements from the developer may restrict sale boards while the developer is selling new units

Quite. That was why I asked, because I am not aware of any law which has the slightest chance of banning any sign unless it is too large or breaches leases (and I would argue in any case that such conditions are probably unenforceable anyway). The only ban I am aware of is on placing for sale signs when there has been no sale.

I await Laurejon's reply......

VP

Edited by VacantPossession