House Price Crash Forum

House prices Safe From Crumbling In Year Ahead

stripycat

HOLA441

House prices are unlikely to fall sharply next year, but will again fail to match growth in average earnings, according to the most prominent property market forecasters.

The two lenders that produce house price indices – Halifax and Nationwide – expect growth of no more than 3 per cent next year; the consensus among independent economists is that earnings will grow by 4 to 4.5 per cent.

But an interesting last sentence

Conventional wisdom has it that the time to sell is when everyone is buying; another signal, perhaps, is when the last pessimists turn optimistic. Just because the market has defied expectations for so long, however, does not necessarily mean that the danger is now past.

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/374b6322-7966-11d...00779e2340.html

HOLA442

Conventional wisdom has it that the time to sell is when everyone is buying; another signal, perhaps, is when the last pessimists turn optimistic. Just because the market has defied expectations for so long, however, does not necessarily mean that the danger is now past.

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/374b6322-7966-11d...00779e2340.html

Precisely because the market has defied expections for so long is the reason the danger is only just beginning. What a bunch of idiots.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Precisely because the market has defied expections for so long is the reason the danger is only just beginning. What a bunch of idiots.

It is like waiting for a bus. You never know when one will arrive. But the longer you are waiting the *more* likely one will arrive in the next time period. And if you really wait ages, then 3 come at once, which is the bus equivalent of 90% off house prices, I think.

frugalista

HOLA445

It is like waiting for a bus. You never know when one will arrive. But the longer you are waiting the *more* likely one will arrive in the next time period. And if you really wait ages, then 3 come at once, which is the bus equivalent of 90% off house prices, I think.

frugalista

it's sod law that that happens, but it happens so often, my face will be like :D when it does! 90%!!! that will be the ideal scenario

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I think 40% off would be about right adjusting for inflation over the past 4-5 years...

Regards,

crude

Yep that sounds more reasonable, dont know if it will be even that much though but 25% - 40% seem plausable. Depends on how long folks are willing ro wait for i suppose.