House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
verolution

How A Proper News Agency Reports The Nationwide Figures

House prices have worst year in decade

It is refreshing to see reporting saying things as they are - not the usual neauseating pc spin seen on the BBC news service ( Lets not upset anyone ) Lets face it there has been an enormous change in HPI over the last 2 years : 2004 saw HPI at +23% and 2005 at best only a few %pts.........IS THAT NOT A HPC IN ANYONE'S LANGUAGE OR WHAT ????

What will we be looking back on at the end of 2006?

Come on folks get real .......... the slide downwards in HPI is relentless whatever the short term hiccups in the stats say.

OH BABY I'M GOOD AT THIS GAME!!!!

this is where our really viscious HPC comes in useful.....as US housing slows gradually,UK housing is the sacraficial lamb to keep sterling at about $1.60 ish.

it's started,and IR cuts are NOT required.Indeed,if there is a small rise then this will actually precipitate the fall longer term!!!!!

Spring is going to be great!!!!!!!

p.s.. good call last jan on the gold Bubb.went in in jan '04 for the currency play so we're both right!!!

OH BABY I'M GOOD AT THIS GAME!!!!

this is where our really viscious HPC comes in useful.....as US housing slows gradually,UK housing is the sacraficial lamb to keep sterling at about $1.60 ish.

it's started,and IR cuts are NOT required.Indeed,if there is a small rise then this will actually precipitate the fall longer term!!!!!

Spring is going to be great!!!!!!!

p.s.. good call last jan on the gold Bubb.went in in jan '04 for the currency play so we're both right!!!

Excuse my idiocy, but by this do you mean you bought gold in Jan '04 in dollars & have thus benefited from the rise in gold and the fall in value of the pound relative to the dollar?

I.e

bought $100 (£52) of gold @ $400 oz Exchange rate $1.9 = £1

gold now priced at $500 with Exchange rate $1.7 = £1

benefit from gold in dollar terms + 25% to $125

brucie bonus in GBP terms $125 now = £73

Thus a +40% increase too to falling pound vs dollar and increase in gold price in dollars.

Is above right?

Reuters make most of their money selling financial market data to banks, investment companies and so on.

As a result they are probably best regarded as a VI, who prefer equities, bonds etc to the housing market as they make no money from that market.

Hence they have a consistently bearish editorial policy on all matters related to HPI.

I think this helps to balance out the rest of the media, but I wouldn't call it an "uninterested" point of view.

Yes. STR to gold is the best investment I've ever made - massively outperforming property annually even during property's boom years. And I reckon it's only the beginning.

Not to crow but from some of the troll posts you'd think STRs were having a disaster.

Cheers 4 clearing that one up. I'm not so hot on these subjects.

House prices have worst year in decade:

http://go.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?...pTkr/GetContent

I'm not sure if it's as 'good' as you make out!

"signs are growing that conditions are picking up after a sharp slowdown, data from the Nationwide building society showed on Friday.

But economists said fears of a housing crash so widespread just a year ago look to have been unfounded as evidence builds that the market is gently recovering though a return to boom conditions seemed very unlikely."

Although I'm sure none of us are going to label Reuters as a VI just yet ;)

LONDONER - who told you the market was recovering ? i dont see it myself.

Only 31 to go for the ton fred, after a HPC record are you. ;)

LONDONER - who told you the market was recovering ? i dont see it myself.

I don't really know which way it's heading - my point is that the article is being held up as a shining example of 'non VI spin' but if you actually read it, it does in fact say that the outlook is positive for house prices.